Are the Buses running

Lilslavaken

I am just curious to know if the public buses running from Hillswick to lerwick on Wednesday 27th, the day after Up Helly Aa. I have heard from different people that they are running, and from others that they are not. Can someone just please confirm what is happening with the buses.

In theory but perhaps not in practice all buses ought to run as this is the Lerwick UHA and not the Shetland UHA. Also since no bus companies nor the council have published any notices saying buses will not run it is hardly unreasonable for someone to want to travel from, for example, Hillswick to Scalloway tomorrow but again in practice I would ask tonight's bus driver or telephone the operator.

Assume you mean Wednesday 28th, there is no Wednesday 27th in January.mode>

I don't know about the buses, but I'd presume it will be a very reduced service, if any that runs, Lerwick is literally a ghost town on the day until at least evening.

A quick call to whichever bus company serves the route would probably be the smartest thing, as the information they give out should be reliable, what comes from anyplace else may or may not be.

There has been no notices, nothing on SIBC to say that the buses are not running, so they should be or it is bloody stupid otherwise. Not everyone goes to UHA and people needing to go into town for food and stuff like that, that depend on buses. I think if they do not run tomorrow then they are very unreliable.

Many moons ago when double taxi fares were being discussed by the councillors one of them stood up and claimed that the Lerwick UHA was "just a Lerwick thing" and that therefore double taxi fares could not be justified. In that case with the possible exception of the town service the same should apply to buses.

On the SIC website it states "PLEASE NOTE: There will be no Bus Services operating on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and 2nd January" - no mention of Up Helly Aa.

It has been a few years since I relied on the buses, but I seem to recall going by bus into work the day after UHA- my employer at the time didn't recognise the public holiday.

There has been no notices, nothing on SIBC to say that the buses are not running, so they should be or it is bloody stupid otherwise. Not everyone goes to UHA and people needing to go into town for food and stuff like that, that depend on buses. I think if they do not run tomorrow then they are very unreliable.

I did notice that Tesco is closed on weds, so I presume that the Co op is as well, so not worth going to Lerwick for shopping anyway!

^^^Talking of council transport ect

With a big sign half way up the Tingwall road telling if there is a normal service or not for the ferries why can’t you log on to the council web site and get the same up to date information after all you can look at the council weather stations