snow

MJ

It's much the same all over, you can prepare for whatever level of risk you like, as long as you are willing to pay for it.

London could have fleets of gritters and roadsalt piled up that never get used 19 years out of 20, but when would clear the snow all away no problem today, but it's not the risk/cost balance we choose to go with.

when the snow's falling faster than the ploughs can clear it the job is neigh on impossible no matter how much forward planning you've made.

The thing is how did we cope back when we actually had winters?

I don't remember all the fuss we see nowadays what with panic buying etc.

And we used to be able to drive on roads even when they were invisible, now it's all racing for the last loaf/pint in the shop and whining when there's a bit of slush on the road....

Ah, the joys of snow in London ...

... absolutely crazy that the buses were cancelled (they are running again today - Tuesday) and even the courier company didn't deliver the dog food. Buff and Kia, the Shar Pei, were not very pleased with having to make do with pasta and peas, the fussy likkle gits. Apparently, for safety reasons, FedEx closed the Beckton depot - me thinks that equated to the drivers deciding not to get out of bed.

Hubby struggled into work, leaving at the normal time of 5.40am to be in Victoria for 7.00am (we live in the politically correct Borough of Newham). He finally managed to arrive at 7.40am. No Jubilee line, staff (if any existed) not even managing to scribble an illegible message on a board or make an announcement. Obviously the snow had frozen someone's brain cells (if they had any to start with).

Wanstead Flats is covered still with snow, the road has not been gritted, the pavement is a death trap but the dogs are loving it! It really is very kind of children to leave the snowmen's noses intact for Buff to wee on and Kia to try and eat (she loves carrots regardless).

Ah, the temperature. It is -4 at the moment and British Gas are having a field day with my Quantum meter, gobbling up a fortune a day. Ooh, you'll have colder weather when you move to Shetland, my friends cry. Oh yeah? Well, look at the weather forecast chart I reply - every blooming day you've been quite a few degrees warmer and if I have to explain to the twits any more about gulf stream, etc., I'll probably scream!

Snow in London and it always grinds to a halt. Some Professor Twitz stated that whilst other European countries fend better, it would tend too much investment and allegedly, we don't get a lot of snow. Why we can't have snow chains/studded tyres beats me.

Oh well, I'll just have to stagger into work tomorrow per usual - all the way from my bed to my desk in the front room - I do so love being self-employed and working from home!

I don't think I'll get snowed in though - I'll really worry if I do because I'm 4 floors up LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, I'll just have to stagger into work tomorrow per usual - all the way from my bed to my desk in the front room - I do so love being self-employed and working from home!

I don't think I'll get snowed in though - I'll really worry if I do because I'm 4 floors up LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Thermometer's reading about -15, but I'm safely tucked up in my bedroom/office (a mere three floors up) :wink:

We had a similar snowfall in Shetland about 13 years ago - the SIC Convenor and CE panicked, lost the plot and issued a state of emergency.

About the only similarity is the colour.

Amount and duration of snowfall up here then was far greater, over 2 feet in the works carpark by 9am (it started snowing in LK at 4am) on the first day of snow and it lasted for weeks.

ploughs couldn't operate in the town due to burying cars and making pavements impassable

• 1 year later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8039977/Britain-in-for-another-big-freeze-winter.html

The Telegraph is saying it as well.

Not that that necessarily means anything.

But what I would read meaning into, is, that the fermers near Banff are saying it too. How they know, I don't know? {Maybe bunions/ Lumbago etc playing up?}

Or, maybe:

Indians ask their new chief whether the winter will be cold or mild. Since the young chief never learned the ways of his ancestors, he tells them to collect firewood, then he goes off and calls the National Weather Service.

"Will the winter be bad?" he asks.

"Looks like it," is the answer.

So the chief tells his people to gather more firewood. A week later, he calls again. "Are you positive the winter will be very cold?"

"Absolutely."

The chief tells his people to gather even more firewood, then calls the Weather Service again: "Are you sure?"

"I'm telling you, it's going to be the coldest winter on record."

"How do you know?"

"Because the Indians are gathering firewood like crazy!"

And, the Russians are saying too:

http://rt.com/prime-time/2010-10-04/coldest-winter-emergency-measures.html

"Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe."

Darned global warming!