Shetland Folk Festival

JustMe

• 2 weeks later...
Two points both about the programme leaflet. First I think it is getting boring. Not the festival but the leaflet. Same design year after year. Time for a change. 2nd point concerns the small print. It is just too small. Using the same glasses that I wear for reading everything else I could not read the descriptions of the visiting artistes. Print is just too small. So small that it probably breaks eurolaws on access for disabled people.

i totaly agree and the font is so oldie world too - a new modern lay out, new font is well overview. although i understand its only a A3 peice of paper and they do have a lot of info to pack in.

As usual the festival was run like a dream, and these people do this job every year! Fantastic effort and very much appreciated by this member of the public.

Take a bow committee members and helpers.

Now, my review!

Not a complaint or owt but I felt there were a few (3) very middle of the road visiting acts this year and it took the gloss off two concerts for me. I'm not going to embarrass anyone by naming names so there we are.

Stars? Elana James and that outstanding duo, she is amazing, and she can play! The duo of Luke Hill and Beau Sample were as good but I have never heard a stand-up bass played even remotely like that before - wow!

If you didn't by the EP then you should have!

Tim and Mollie, are they almost family now? were great, with Danny Barnes on the banjo/guitar outstanding. Just how does someone with hands that size get them to move so fast? A family night at the O'Brien house must be a hell of a night.

Seamus Begley and Tim Edey were fantastic, so were a lot of the jokes. The brothers Zamiszkovci are thoroughly infectious and clearly love what they do, so did I, first class.

Session A9 were also a stand out for me, but who's the guy with the white spikes? :lol:

I like bluegrass and Cajun so the Sheerins, Moonshiners and Flatville Aces do it for me also.

I only saw the Tannahill Weavers at the Foy but they are polished and I liked very much what I saw and heard.

PS. we all know there are very many very good locals, many who we don't see enough off on stage, but I must mention that Mark Laurenson, Grant Nicol, Maurice Henderson and John a da Burns were as good as any other band on stage at Boddam, and by jeez there were some line-up on that night!

Who knows, we might see more concert nights featuring some of these mixes of talent when the venue opens :D

The only thing I would add is that I thought Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan were excellent too.

Yeah, they were the blues guys! I was lucky enough to see them 3 times and each time I was totally blown away. And unlike all the other bands we saw, each time they came on, they played a completely different set. The guy on the moothie was outstanding. He sang instantly after playing a bit, without ever taking a breath and then went straight back to playing without taking a breath. And the thing was, he didna play it so that he wis in time we his breaths, if you see whit I mean (?) ie. he didna sook and blow at the times he would've needed tae fir the effect he was achieving. The moothie note was actually still hanging in the air when he started singing most of the time 8O

Tim o'Brian was definately the driving talent behind their band I felt. Every time I saw them (tim and mollie) they played the same few songs, which did get a bit tiresome. Tim was on with a few other bands playing about 4 different instruments, and playing them very very well. And he had a fantastic voice.

I basically agree we Wheesht's review, besides those few peerie points. :D

oh, I forgot aboot Finneston. They fairly grew on me. Tae begin with I thought "yeah these guys are o.k." but I ended up thinking "these guys are great". I think it was thier lyrics that persuaded me. There's no denying that they were talented song-writers.

As usual the festival was run like a dream, and these people do this job every year! Fantastic effort and very much appreciated by this member of the public.

Take a bow committee members and helpers.

I totally agree.

An outstanding job and well done to all those to organised the festival. It is very much appreciated.

The visiting artists this year were all superb.