Westside bus

MJ

As as user of the westside bus I'm furious about what happened today. Bus drivers complaints have gone unnoticed (should the latest rumour be true someone should be prosecuted) and our requests for seat belts have been ignored.

After speaking to a few of the folk from the bus (including the 2 who went to hospital) it makes me wonder how badly hurt someone has to be before something is done. One lass kept on talking of seeing a pensioner being thrown to the front of the bus. The pensioner told me she then had someone thrown on top of her. Leasks are lucky that the injuries were relatively minor.

I have a feeling my hope of getting on a bus on Monday morning with seat belts, adequate heating, new tyres, windows that don't open themselves and door that fits is too much. But if the weather continues as it does a decent set of tyres would be a start.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and there is another bus off the road tonight.. Just past the westings!

Sitting nice and pretty in the ditch..

2 in the same day... should the busses not have been stopped?

I didnt see the police or anyone there though.. it just had its hazzard lights on.. Wont be long until someone comes around the corners and goes into the back of it though :roll:

The Leasks Bus just below the westings was certainly a major hazard. I came across it coming down the hill in what was nearly a total white out. It was just past the corner and traffic coming up the hill would have to go to the wrong side of the road to get past it.

Granted I knew it was there I was told about it before driving home, and it only happened about 30 mins before i past it, so maybe the police etc were still on their way from Lerwick to do something about it.

It happened about 7pm.

I'm not surprised there are lots of cars off the road, driving conditions at 7.30 between westings and weisdale were horrendous. Thankfully i have two brand new tyres on the front.

Just to add this bus was an older style bus.

The Leasks Bus just below the westings was certainly a major hazard. I came across it coming down the hill in what was nearly a total white out. It was just past the corner and traffic coming up the hill would have to go to the wrong side of the road to get past it.

Granted I knew it was there I was told about it before driving home, and it only happened about 30 mins before i past it, so maybe the police etc were still on their way from Lerwick to do something about it.

It happened about 7pm.

I'm not surprised there are lots of cars off the road, driving conditions at 7.30 between westings and weisdale were horrendous. Thankfully i have two brand new tyres on the front.

Just to add this bus was an older style bus.

it took my hubby 2 1/2 hour to get from scallowy to tresta last night the he got stuck at the westings we eventually had to get a friend with a landrover to give him a tow up the tingwall brae just berfore the westings

coming west

As a regular bus user, I'm not surprised to hear that buses have left the road in the current conditions.

What does surprise me is that so few have done so.

Give the drivers some credit for that.

Most of the weight (passengers and traction) is at the rear and they seem to have a tendancy to 'float' all over the road in moderate to high winds. Add slush and ice to the basic lack of stability... nuff said.

I think that it's time we had a different type of bus for the more exposed out of town runs.

Personally not blaming the drivers one bit, and when driven in foul weather will always thank them for getting me there in one piece.

Al this stuff about drivers driving too fast so they can keep to timetable is poop. Anyone who's been on the bus recently has probably noticed that the bus has not been anywhere near schedule.

Noticed we were down to minibus this morning.

I think that it's time we had a different type of bus for the more exposed out of town runs.

What sort is needed then or is it a matter of having better grip from better tires? I'm not much of a bus user and in weather like this I tend to rely on my 4x4 and chunky tires so I can't answer that question, but I'd be interested to know what the answer is. Does anyone from the bus companies lurk here? Maybe they could help.

I'd also like to echo the clear sentiment in this thread and offer respect to the bus drivers - you do a tough job in these conditions especially if the vehicles are letting you down.

i think the biggest problem with the current busses is the fact that they are automatic ie if you have to slowdown instead of using the gears as you would in a manual car/bus you have to use the brakes which is the absolute last thing you want to be doing on snow/ice coupled with the fact they are made from plastic and weigh nothing you have a very unstable bus in wind/snow/ice/(bouts of sneezing :lol: )