'withnail and i' game

It actually takes a fair bit of preparatory work to ensure that you've got the variety and quantity to match them drink for drink, the toxic ones being optional. You can substitute drinks but it's not the same. In my direct experience, it was too much like hard work to set up and not as much fun as I hoped.

my better half and i thought it would be fun to try on friday night. we changed the lighter fuel for some 10 year old absinthe i had lying around and the rest....

Withnail & I Drinking Game

The rules for the Withnail and I drinking game are very simple… just match Withnail drink-for-drink...

Per person, you will require:

• Gin

• Cider

• Ale

• Sherry

• Whisky

• Red Wine

Optional:

• 1 x bottle lighter fluid (You’re allowed to substitute this for vinegar… this is what they did to Richard E Grant to the film the vomiting scene...)

• 1 x Camberwell Carrot

Some kind soul at www.nationmaster.com has even gone to the effort of compiling a Withnail and I drinking game list - detailing precisely what passes Withnail lips throughout the film.

They estimate that Withnail drinks in the order of 9 1/2 glasses of red wine, 1 pint of cider, 1 shot of lighter fluid, 2 1/2 shots of gin, 6 glasses of sherry, 13 whiskeys and 1/2 a pint of ale. Here that are in order:

• Mouthful of red wine

• "Lighter fluid" (eg overproof rum)

• Double gin

• Finger of cider (with ice)

• Glass of sherry

• Two big chugs of sherry

• Mouthful of sherry

• Sip of sherry

• Double whisky

• Mouthful of whisky

• Mouthful of whisky

• Mouthful of whisky

• Mouthful of whisky

• Splash of whisky

• Single Teachers

• Double Teachers

• Double Teachers

• Single Teachers

• Sip of sherry

• Three fingers of ale

• Sip of red wine

• Gulp of sherry

• Small glass of red wine

• Sip of red wine

• Half glass of red wine

• Sip of something white (gin & bitter lemon?)

• Sip of red wine

• Sip of red wine

• Gulp of red wine

• Gulp of red wine

• Finger of red wine

• Finger of red wine

• Gulp of red wine ("'53 Margeaux")

... with some substitutions and keep in mind we were drunk already( why the hell else would we do it) we managed 50 odd minutes into the film before giving up. I reckon if you were drinking from sober it could be done. :lol:

They estimate that Withnail drinks in the order of 9 1/2 glasses of red wine, 1 pint of cider, 1 shot of lighter fluid, 2 1/2 shots of gin, 6 glasses of sherry, 13 whiskeys and 1/2 a pint of ale.

Given just how well he acts being drunk, it is remarkable to note that Richard E. Grant is TT and supposedly hasn't been drunk in real life.

Such a good film.

Given just how well he acts being drunk, it is remarkable to note that Richard E. Grant is TT and supposedly hasn't been drunk in real life.

Such a good film.

I believe Richard E Grant has been drunk once in his life at the request of the director in order to get a feel for the part. Other than that, as you rightly point out, he is TT.

Withnail & I Drinking Game

The rules for the Withnail and I drinking game are very simple… just match Withnail drink-for-drink...

So how many units does that work out to be? I think I might give it a miss.

I would say that's the more sage advice.

On the other hand, if you feel you have something worthwhile to gain from such ventures, why fanny about; get a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas & Trainspotting and apply the same rules. Then you can really be the soul of the party, although not likely the life.