25% of the working population employed by the council

Infiltrator

This was reported on local Aberdeen radio this morning. The Aberdeen radio news bulletin was making a big deal about the Scottish avg @ 10% but then mentioned the Shetland figs - 25% :shock:

I remember a similar story a few years ago that had the figure somewhere around 16 or 18% with a Scottish avg of 8%. Latest figures now show the Shetland figure stands at 25%. I do realise that the Island councils will have a higher than Scottish avg figure but two and a half times?

Surely with the coffers dwindling fast thanks to the fall in investment return a figure like this isn't sustainable?

Nearly 4,000 employed by the council :shock:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/Apps2/Business/PQA/default.aspx?pq=S3W-20360

Ah yes!.......statistics. But I fear the wrong statistics. A fair comparison would be the number of hours worked divided by whatever the standard working week is. And I would also be interested if people with two part time jobs were counted twice. And how many work for Ports and Harbours.

Yes the SIC may well have a few more employees than it seems to need for the size of population but that needs to be judged on the full facts rather than a single statistic.

Now as I seem to be almost defending SIC will someone please send in the men with white coats.

It will only go on for so long until the local economy goes belly up, the gravy train goes off the rails in a spectacular ball of fire, Gordons magical miracle economy enters the deepest depths of great depression 2.0

Good to know we havent pished all the money away on vast swaths of overpaid non-jobs, consultants and glitzy over the top public buildings :roll:

Good to know we havent pished all the money away on vast swaths of overpaid non-jobs, consultants and glitzy over the top public buildings :roll:

you might have found something there Styumpie, I wonder how much money is spent on consultants that could have been done inhouse?

with all these employee's you'd think they'd have most things covered...

you might have found something there Styumpie, I wonder how much money is spent on consultants that could have been done inhouse?

with all these employee's you'd think they'd have most things covered...

Well, I think we need a feasibility study on that one, don't you? Perhaps we should send that outwith the Council to get a reasonable perspective on this, as per bloody usual.

Now as I seem to be almost defending SIC will someone please send in the men with white coats.

Defend all you like, after all it's you that's paying the council tax.

Yes, these are just stats, but it's the two and a half times the scottish avg that shocked me.

Hardly seems like a local authority that's been tightening it's belt for the last few years.

Ah yes!.......statistics. But I fear the wrong statistics. A fair comparison would be the number of hours worked divided by whatever the standard working week is. And I would also be interested if people with two part time jobs were counted twice. And how many work for Ports and Harbours.

Yes the SIC may well have a few more employees than it seems to need for the size of population but that needs to be judged on the full facts rather than a single statistic.

There you go JustMe

There will be offices full of high paid, high flying bafflingly titled council staff, armed with secretaries to decide that they need a feasibility study of how to go about getting the feasibility study done, once it has been done, the relevant feasibility study carried out, a need to hire in a few consultants at £400 per hour to make sense of the said feasibility study will be established. Once having deciphered the reams of council speak language created by the consultants that us mear mortals cant even begin to understand, £3000000 later, a few thousand emails, a combined total of 100 years playing freecell on the computer and around a metric tonne of coffee & biscuits, 3 tonnes of paper now destined for the shredder, countless lavish expenses paid trips all over the globe gathering 'important' data and viola! we have a result!!, its not feasible after all.

1. In the beginning was the Plan.

2. And then came the Assumptions.

3. And the Assumptions were without form

4. And the Plan was without Substance.

5. And darkness was upon the face of the Workers.

6. And they spoke among themselves saying

“It is a crock of turd and it stinketh.â€

7. And the Workers went unto their supervisors and said “It is a pail of dung and we can not live with the smell!â€

8. And the Supervisors went unto their Managers saying. “It is a container of organic waste and it is very strong such that none may abide by it!

9. And the Managers went unto their Directors saying, “It is a vessel of fertilizer and none may abide it’s strength.â€

10. And the Directors spoke among themselves saying to one another, “It is that which aids growth and it is very strong.â€

11. And the Directors went unto the Vice Presidents, saying unto them’ “It promotes growth and it is very powerful.â€

12. And the Vice Presidents went to the President saying unto him, “This new Plan will actively promote the growth and vigor of the company with very powerful effects.â€

13. And the President looked upon the Plan and saw that it was good!

14. And the Plan became Policy!