Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Normal Voda signal at the Ness just now, but one of my radio etc players that was powered up but not doing anything, picked up unusual mobile phone interference about 30-45 mins ago, a bit after the power came back on here.

Similar interference to when someone is using a mobile too close to something like that, but there was nobody within that range at the time. The pattern was all wrong anyway, and that particular player is usually the least likely to be affected by such things, but the ones which normally pick up stuff like that easily weren't getting anything.

Very possibly unconnected, but may have been something in its death throes emitting an unusual signal.

hi all

latest update from Orange..... well it is now NTL's fault! there are two transmitters down. One near Scousborough and one above Lerwick. The report that they have states that NTL have to carry out the repair and they should have done so today. The fact that the iphone says "no service" tonight is evidence that the repair didnt happen!

Orange are ringing me tomorrow to provide an update.

hi all

latest update from Orange..... well it is now NTL's fault! there are two transmitters down. One near Scousborough and one above Lerwick. The report that they have states that NTL have to carry out the repair and they should have done so today. The fact that the iphone says "no service" tonight is evidence that the repair didnt happen!

Orange are ringing me tomorrow to provide an update.

I thought NTL went down the tubes years ago. I used to put some of my landline calls through them, back in the day when you put in an access code to channel via a different provider before dialling the number you were wanting. I forget the name of the "new" company that emerged from the salavged wreckage of NTL, I didn't bother with them as I'd already gotten sick of the b/s NTL had gotten up to.

Orange were abysmal even on the mainland over ten years ago, seems their idea of "service" hasn't improved much since.

I thought NTL went down the tubes years ago.

Yip. Now called Virgin.

I think the NTL that Orange are reffering to are Arquiva who own masts.

As I understand it, what has happened is that two faults occured at the same time. There was a problem with their cell which couldn't be fixed until yesterday. Once that was fixed it emerged that there was also a problem with the backhaul. I understand that this might be fixed as soon as Wednesday.

Scalloway (vodafone) might be back on today.

Marvin

^^ Meanwhile, back to using the carrier pigeons again.

Always worth a shot but be warned, BT's 'up to 8mph' carrier pigeon service rarely achieves the advertised speed. Users are more likely to get 2mph. This is due to Shetland being at the end of the upgrade schedule and the pigeons they put up here tends to be old ones they have retired from other areas which now uses 21st Century Pigeons.