Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

I undersand that Vodafone and O2 masts are in different locations, however O2 has been non existant here for a month. I can see both masts from where I am and get nothing. Get in my van and travel for 1 minute to the fladdabister straight and get a signal that we use to have.

Vodafone signal was poor. It was there now it comes and goes from 3 too no signal within 30 seconds. And that depends where you stand now. Use to get constant signal from Vodafone now its very poor.

Coverage predictor online shows we should have min of 3 bars.

Nothing wrong with my phones, its just very, very poor coverage now. Maybe somebody from O2 could come here so they can see for themselves.

Quarff is now a complete dead area for signal.

Signal was never great in certain areas here anyway but it worked before, it has just got worse.

Can't use a signal booster as there is no signal to boost.

Coverage predictors tend to be very optimistic.

I would never buy a phone/service based on them.

'someone(s)' from O2 has been here to see for themselves.

Bressay being a high power TV and Radio transmission site has a lot of restrictions on working on the masts, even if the weather is suitable.

Despite what lots of folk think, the mobile companies do actually get on with fixng faults in Shetland. But... the revenue earned, or lost during no service, doesn't make them want to spend 'whatever it takes' to get the job done.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the sounds of it Mr Hairyman you work for the companies in question.

Maybe you should come and see for yourself what I am talking about and see what it feels like to have no mobile signal for 1 month when your business requires it, instead of folk phoning your private landline when your 11 year old daugther answers it after school before you.

Not very business like.

Folk find your number in the shetland directory or know who to call via others. My landline is my private life, my mobile number is my business and it is costing me lost business. I had a working O2 signal for years that gave me a business, but is now affecting my family and private life to frustration.

I don't give a @#$# about how long it takes to fix, it should have been fixed by now.

By the sounds of it Mr Hairyman you work for the companies in question.

Maybe you should come and see for yourself what I am talking about and see what it feels like to have no mobile signal for 1 month when your business requires it, instead of folk phoning your private landline when your 11 year old daugther answers it after school before you.

Not very business like.

Folk find your number in the shetland directory or know who to call via others. My landline is my private life, my mobile number is my business and it is costing me lost business. I had a working O2 signal for years that gave me a business, but is now affecting my family and private life to frustration.

I don't give a @#$# about how long it takes to fix, it should have been fixed by now.

Contractor only. If they contract me to fix it I will, if they don't I won't.

I am a comms man. I don't recommend a mobile phone as the main means of contacting / running a business. There are many places in Shetland where there is no coverage, even if all the existing services are working as intended.

But if it works for you. Oh, but is doesn't !

So maybe you need to review your business plan? Surely, the business can afford a telephone line if it needs to receive telephone calls?

What will you do if O2 were to say 'this is going to cost a fortune, how much revenue do we get from this mast? Aha, lets just scrap it'

I am struggling to think of a list of businnesses that do not have a land line number ?

I have a "0131" number through skype, it works through the laptop or smartphone when I have wifi, or mobile signal when I'm lucky enough to have any, can also redirect it anywhere in the world. costs me about £60 a year all in (rental, calls, texts etc)

real handy when mobile signal is playing up in town, or I'm somewhere with no network

Why is there no signal here in quarff when there was one before?

Sometimes it simply breaks and needs fixed. I think that is the problem with the o2 service.

Other times it is because the system has degraded, but not to the extent that it is treated as a fault.

Design man says kit has to provide a signal at a level - lets say '65'.

Once installed the shiny new kit actualy achieves '75'. This means it is working better than it was designed for - not usually a problem.

Then over time it degrades, or even has a minor fault, but the signal level is still at or above the designed level of '65'. That would not get 'fixed' as it would not be considered a fault. The effect is that someone that used to get a marginal signal may now not get a stable or usable signal.

It develops a more serious fault that results in new kit going in and it may perform better than designed again and therefore have better coverage again.

Thing is I can't understand is that O2 including TTMobile who deals with the phone contract for my employer (who are in contact with O2) have said that there is a fault and it is being fixed.

They said a temp fix was done.

When I do a temp fix then I get it working enough until new part is fitted, which will last longer. This temp fix done nothing, if any fix was really done or is a story just to keep me quiet.

Even had a tech man from O2 phone us and said yes there is a known fault and sorry for the loss of signal.

Still taking a bit long to get it sorted.

Thing is I can't understand is that O2 including TTMobile who deals with the phone contract for my employer (who are in contact with O2) have said that there is a fault and it is being fixed.

They said a temp fix was done.

When I do a temp fix then I get it working enough until new part is fitted, which will last longer. This temp fix done nothing, if any fix was really done or is a story just to keep me quiet.

Even had a tech man from O2 phone us and said yes there is a known fault and sorry for the loss of signal.

Still taking a bit long to get it sorted.

You regulary work 100 Metres up hill top masts ?

Bressay has enough radio frequency running to cook you.

There are numerous restrictions by the mast owner, one of which is no climbing when the wind is higher than 30 knots.

Another is the mast owner insists on having their own staff in attendance when climbing - these guys come up from South.

The 02 temporary repairs took five days of work. The proper fix will take much longer. Think more along the lines of 're-intall' rather than 'repair'.

Bresay is a good radio site, but the Bressay Masts have a number of logistical problems that would make me think very hard before using them.

If I was sitting at the O2 desk, I would be thinking very hard, because I estimate the work so far has cost them about £10,000 ... What is the revnue from this cell ?

They probably will completely refurbish the installation and bring the signal back to what it was, or better, but it might take a while.

You regulary work 100 Metres up hill top masts ?

Bressay has enough radio frequency running to cook you.

There are numerous restrictions by the mast owner, one of which is no climbing when the wind is higher than 30 knots.

Another is the mast owner insists on having their own staff in attendance when climbing - these guys come up from South.

The 02 temporary repairs took five days of work. The proper fix will take much longer. Think more along the lines of 're-intall' rather than 'repair'.

Bresay is a good radio site, but the Bressay Masts have a number of logistical problems that would make me think very hard before using them.

If I was sitting at the O2 desk, I would be thinking very hard, because I estimate the work so far has cost them about £10,000 ... What is the revnue from this cell ?

They probably will completely refurbish the installation and bring the signal back to what it was, or better, but it might take a while.

Yeah Bressay might have enought frequency to cook you but it has enough power too boost the signal far enough to cover a wider range I believe. Even then if you dont use the Mast in bressay but use the one in cunninburgh and boost that signal then i bet it would be able to signal quarff until you get the original mast fixed?

Just a thought as O2 have been saying "yes it will be up and working in 24hrs..." yeah its like 4 weeks on now.

Yeah Bressay might have enought frequency to cook you but it has enough power too boost the signal far enough to cover a wider range I believe. Even then if you dont use the Mast in bressay but use the one in cunninburgh and boost that signal then i bet it would be able to signal quarff until you get the original mast fixed?

Is there an o2 transmitter at Cunningsburgh ?

Does O2 have an equivalent to Vodafone's Sure Signal. If you need a mobile in the house then this may be an option?

I'm on Vodafone and about 4 years ago the coverage was pretty good. I used to be able to use the phone all the way from Lerwick to Aith (on hands free of course). Then Vodafone network went down for a day and when it came back on the coverage was a lot less. It never improved.

The problem mobile phone operators have in Shetland is that they get a poor return (not enough people) and their backhaul costs are a lot higher than they pay on the mainland.

Just for anybodys information if you are having problems with O2 then use the following e-mail as it does actualy get somebody to sit up and listen:

complaintreviewservice@o2.com

O2 call this the high level complaint e-mail if not getting anywhere with call centre.

Have tried emailing above no response !

I am getting one bar on odd occaisions sometimes nothing .

Full reception in town !