Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

We have also sent another e-mail to this O2 e-mail address earlier this week and low and behold nothing now.

And in responce to the cost of repair, what is the point in supplying a service to customers, but knowing there will not be enough return in money from the service you supply to repair it along with making a profit, so why supply it in the first place?????

Now 5 weeks with no good O2 signal in Quarff.

If this was Lerwick would it still take 5 weeks to fix and have it back to the normal level that was there before????

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well avoid Vodafone Mobile Broadband. Been in the GBH for 14 days so used a usb dongle.

What a waste of money. And service was as bad as it could get. Just got logged on three times in 14 days. And up to 10 hours to get logged on in the first place . And kicked of line after 4 minuets.

I got a free simcard from three mobile about a month ago. So i tried it while i was working around shetland and i was picking up 3g broadband in lerwick .weisdale,scalloway and when you lost the three mobile signal it went onto the orange network for calls and texts.It might be available in other areas of shetland of which i have not been to yet

Well avoid Vodafone Mobile Broadband. Been in the GBH for 14 days so used a usb dongle.

What a waste of money. And service was as bad as it could get. Just got logged on three times in 14 days. And up to 10 hours to get logged on in the first place . And kicked of line after 4 minuets.

They're almost unusable unless you have a 3G signal. If you do have a 3G signal, they're pretty good. I use one south quite a lot and it's generally quicker than my landline broadband in Shetland, and not expensive to use for normal browsing and email. They'll handle YouTube, but it would be very expensive. Vodafone's top-up system is also a plus point - with most providers, you have to use a minimum amount every month.

I think Vodafone's first 3G cell in Shetland will be at Sumburgh Airport.

Just for the avoidance of doubt:-

Vodafone does not have any 3G coverage in Shetland (we are working on them)

O2 has one 3G mast which covers most of Lerwick

3 Mobile now has 3G coverage but I'm not sure how far it reaches (probably Lerwick only)

Internet dongles are (almost) entirely useless unless you are in a 3G area.

I was in Faroe a couple of weeks ago and they have 200 3G masts in total (110ish on Faroese Telecom and 90ish on Vodafone Faroe). I was getting 5 bars of 3G in the tunnels...

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about getting a mobile phone to go online with, for facebook really as I am getting nagged to set up a page, but I have no idea what to go for. I don’t think I will be able to use it through Wifi and I don’t know if the internet option on the phone will work without it. Vodafone's website says the internet speed where I am in Sandwick is poor/not available but I am with vodafone at the moment for my txts/calls & they are fine. I also don’t use my current phone that much so would rather have a pay as you go service but how would that work for internet charges? Any advice would be appreciated guys. :?

(*** Mod edit - threads merged ***)

My daughter uses this one (the price seems to have gone up) she gets enough signal in Eid to use the intenet and it has WiFi capability as well so you can use it in all the WiFi hotspots (of which we are lucky enough to have loads of free ones in Shetland)

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/nokia-c3

though if you look around you should be able to pick up at around £60

Also wonderfully it has KEYS (sorry my big bugbear at the moment)

That was actualy the very phone I was looking at & yes one of the points I liked about it was keys, dont like the idea of a touch screen at all. Just would like to know if I will be able to get on line with it in Sandwick.

how many bars of signal do you get with your current phone? if you get more than 3 (with most models) then you should have no problem with a GPRS connection, not great for streaming but if it's for basic text based internet it's fine (disabling images makes things sooo much faster)