Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the avoidance of doubt:-

Vodafone does not have any 3G coverage in Shetland

O2 has one 3G mast which covers most of Lerwick

3 Mobile now has 3G coverage but I'm not sure how far it reaches (probably Lerwick only)

Just to point out - if you want to use your phone for internet then you really need 3G (or wifi from your broadband router) to get it to work. Yes, you can use 2G for internet but it is really slow. Even for basic facebook functions, 2G is going to be a real pain! Even 3G internet is not exactly fast (1 or 2 Mbps).

If you are on Vodafone then the Sure Signal box which connects to your broadband router will give you 3G inside your house.

GSM - 2G, 9600bps data calls only (charged at normal call rates - it isn't packet data)

GPRS - 2.5G, extension to GSM, theoretical max speed 85.6Kbps

EDGE - 2.5G, extension to GSM, theoretical max speed 236.8Kbps

UMTS - 3G, theoretical max speed 384Kbps, supports video calls and simultaneous data/voice (this is also referred to as WCDMA)

HSDPA - 3.5G, extension to UMTS, theoretical max speeds are 1.8Mbps, 3.6Mbps or 7.2Mbps depending on the network rollout.

Ahhh....& its all getting complicated again. :( Like I said, don’t want to use Wifi to connect to internet at home. Husband has a laptop at home but I can never get near it as he is on it all the time. He isn’t on unlimited & I don’t want to be blamed for him not being able to get online/using up his download. Want something separate which is why I thought a mobile would be the answer. Thought everything they needed would be included in the phone but really I know nothing about it.

It will work but it will be painfully slow. The 2G network will be (where there is a very good signal) as slow as dialup.

As a test I just switched off wifi on my phone and tried the Shetland News website using 2G. I gave up after 15 minutes. Admittedly there are a serious amount of images on the Shetland News front page and the usable links (to the news stories) were in place after about 4 minutes but even websites designed for mobiles won't load very quickly when using 2G. If for instance, momo wants to update and search facebook and she has a lot of friends who post updates, using a mobile on 2G is going take a very long time.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/nokia-c3-694985/review?artc_pg=4

Facebook etc does not use a huge amount of data so I'm guessing if your husband is using the laptop all the time then there will be a high data allowance on your broadband account. I wouldn't imagine that he would notice the difference. You can connect a number of devices using wifi at the same time and not notice. You would only be sharing the connection while the pages on your mobile were updating.

again, as you were using the Wifi I would assume you were using a 3G phone, which would suffer on a GPRS connection. The C3 being a GPRS phone is streamlined and is perfectly able for basic internet use IN AITH (not that I've tried at your house Marvin) maybe your house has less signal than the school?

The signal at the school is pretty poor. The coverage at the Hall is even worse.

I can get 3 bars at the house but I was trying on 2G in Lerwick which has 5 bars.

I'm presuming that the Nokia will not need to download apps and comes with a built in facebook app and a browser. Yes, agreed, it will be streamlined so that images don't download at full resolution (the screen wouldn't be able to cope) on the Nokia so it will be faster than my 3G smart phone using 2G (if that makes sense). but even then, it is still going to be slow.

I would lay down the law and demand some data on the wifi connection from the husband if I was momo.... it will work substantially better.

As a test I just switched off wifi on my phone and tried the Shetland News website using 2G. I gave up after 15 minutes.
That's an unfair test, I don't even bother with a 3G phone, it's a bit like trying to do the ShetlandLive frontpage.

As a test I just switched off wifi on my phone and tried the Shetland News website using 2G. I gave up after 15 minutes.
That's an unfair test, I don't even bother with a 3G phone, it's a bit like trying to do the ShetlandLive frontpage.

Yes, but i used it because it is a site that most people in shetland are likely to want to use regularly. I have a work blackberry and it is 2G and does not have wifi. When i'm away i've tried to use it to keep up to date but it takes ages. The council sends out an email every morning with news stories and it has links to the full stories on the relative websites. If i click on the link it is really slow and can often take several refreshes to get it to work. My blackberry is as old as the hills and i'm sure the nokia is better equiped to cope.. but if i had the choice there is no way i would be trying to use internet functionality on a device using 2G unless there was no other option. Emails is splendid, web is a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been on the phone to o2 for over an hour today regarding coverage in Shetland .

The wife I spoke to was helpful , she even phoned me back twice .

She asked me to get everyone I know with o2 to ring 08448470202 to register their complaints .

Maybe if enough of us call something might be done .

PS I still don't have coverage but she said she would phone back tomorrow when she had spoken to technitions .