Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

Have been on the phone to o2 for over an hour today regarding coverage in Shetland .

The wife I spoke to was helpful , she even phoned me back twice .

She asked me to get everyone I know with o2 to ring 08448470202 to register their complaints .

Maybe if enough of us call something might be done .

PS I still don't have coverage but she said she would phone back tomorrow when she had spoken to technitions .

I though you had cancelled your O2 contract ?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of the problems are the modern phones.

The smaller they become, the smaller the antennae.

I remember you could buy extended or external antennae for the

3310 if you had a reception problem.

May be worth sticking with the chunky phones. Especially if you rely on it as we seem to now.

I had every intention of cancelling but after hearing others horror stories with Vodaphone I decided against it .

Any way I spoke to wife on o2 and she is now saying there is nothing wrong with signal in Shetland !

That is because the service is up to O2 specification.

The fact that their service is not suitable for 'your' needs is largely irrelevant to O2. If they thought they could get a few thousand extra customers by providing a better service, they might reconsider. The calculation here will be based on the estimated 'additional' income, less the espenses of putting that infrastructure in.

I am the girlfriend that Hector's House mentions above -still no vodafone signal -very frustrating -how do you contact vodafone anyway? Website doesn't appear to be very helpful.

What really annoys me - apart from the fact that I do rely on my mobile -well as much as you can in Shetland, is that yet again we are being ripped off here, we are paying for this so called 'service' be it by contract or PAYG.

Grrrr.........

that really does explain all. I never could figure out why anyone would choose a blackberry, the browser used to drive me crazy.

I like the blackberry as nothing else compares for email and calendar functionality.

The browser basic for sure but is more logically designed than any I have seen on andriod or iPhone, and sure it is slow at 2g speeds but that is easily 95% due to flashy and wasteful website design than anything else.

Just do what we all did on dialup, turn off images and plugins and the plain text doesn't take too long to appear :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The BBC have launched a campaign to crowdsource the UK's mobile coverage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14159357

We're mounting an ambitious project to try to map mobile coverage across the UK - and, if you have an Android phone, you can be part of it. From today you can download an app which will record the signal you're getting on your phone - 3G, 2G or nothing - and feed the data back to our research project.

The BBC have launched a campaign to crowdsource the UK's mobile coverage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14159357

Since installing after arriving in Shetland a week ago, my results are

3G - 12%

2G - 65%

No coverage - 23%

Where's the 3G - presume Lerwick?

And I'd also assume that the app isn't network specific and the 3G could be O2 even though I'm Vodafone?