Mobile phone signal and service (coverage, contract, 3G etc)

Fifi

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware, the only affected area was Scalloway. The previous outage was only temporarily fixed and was awaiting a replacement part. Now I'm guessing here but as the job I logged with Vodafone Network is now closed, I suppose they've effected the permanent repair which will have caused a temporary outage.

They were supposed to inform me of the repair after the problems we had a short while ago, but they didn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My vodafone 18 month contract is coming to an end and I'm thinking about switching to 3 because some of the deals look pretty good.

Question is though, what's the signal like in Shetland? I realise I can't get 3G or anything fancy like that, but for simply calls and text messages does it work well? I'm only in Shetland a couple of times a year at the moment but would quite like service to continue while I'm up there.

Cheers,

David

I believe that there is another thread kicking about with a similar question if you want to have a look.

As far as I am aware, 3 use the O2 network for most of their stuff up here (I might be wrong on that). O2 coverage is very good now and there are few areas that you don't get a signal.

I just switched to three recently - getting mixed results so far. In places where I do get a signal it seems to drop out frequently for no apparent reason and then reappear all by it's self. I'm more used to vodaphone - either there was or there wasn't a signal.

The saleman told me that currently they use orange and either O2 or T-mobile transmitters but that in late summer they were expanding to use the one that the they aren't currently using. If that makes any sense? I can't remember which way it works, they either already use O2 and are going to be using T-mobile as well or it's the other way around. But they definately use orange.... i think.... :?

So hopefully the coverage will be almost total soon. Brae seems to be a noticeable hole at the moment - not impressed by that much :evil: