Shetland Football Gossip Column

Dusty Rhodes

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to ask yourself why they are exploring the optition to enter the B league 2lb o saucermeat?

Thats got nothing to do with the teams merging.

Would these two teams merging create a bigger and better force within the Shetland A League, I don't believe the merger of the two teams would improve their league position. And both teams can continue to exist without merging.

No offence, but other than their goalkeeper I don't believe any Yell player would bring more quality to the Unst team, other than bulking the squad a bit.

Joining the B league is a different matter, which is currently from what I can gather being discussed from Unst.

Why are Unst having to discuss the matter of dropping down a level is what I was asking? If they are going to be as competative as they were this season next year then surely dropping down a level wouldn't be even mentioned? Thats maybe why Braveheart mentioned the "merger" word again.

I believe Unst always said after they entered the A's that it may work for a few years, but then (depending on circumstances) players will not be available, players movin away etc. It looks as if that day is near the horizon.

No final decision has been made by Unst (to my knowledge) but it looks like A league football may not be a worthwhile option in many of the players eyes. Decisionsw ill have to be made before the AGm, and players will have to inform the team management when/ if they are home. This may mean some players feeling that tehy have to leave for regular A team football.

Everyone heard about the 11-0 drubbing by Whalsay final day of the season, well that could realistically be a striongerside than is available for much of next season, and unst were totally embarassed by whlasa on the day. this is something unst will not want to be a regular fixture for next season.

I hope the SFA see sense and seriously consider the proposals these isles teams make as killing football in northern islands would be a very disappointing outcome.

I think that Unsts games in the b-cups showed some of the players that that is the standard that they want to play in! they were playin at their ability and not a step above!

Ever since Unst joined the A league they have done well when they have their best players available but it just happens that from now on it will be their best players that will be missing for large parts of the season.

When a merger option is considered it should not be for the short term aim of strengthenimg 0ne team or the other, but is about building the right club structure for the future - its about development and creating a strong foundation for future years. There is too much short term thinking about how to do better next season, rather than how to maintain a constant improvement year on year.

However, I know only a little about Yell and Unst set up so really can only offer up that wider viewpoint.

Why are Unst having to discuss the matter of dropping down a level is what I was asking? If they are going to be as competative as they were this season next year then surely dropping down a level wouldn't be even mentioned? Thats maybe why Braveheart mentioned the "merger" word again.

From what I can gather Unst are losing 5 big players next season, starting players that would have been automatic first picks at any point during next season. I believe this is why Unst are discussing the possibility of entering the B League next season.

However I do believe that if the teams merged, the Yell team would not bring any more quality to the already depleted Unst team, with the exemption of the goalkeeper.

Unst have the quantity to make the team, but not quality perhaps to compete anymore after losing these players, so merging with Yell wouldn't benefit Unst, and I believe both isles would be against it.

From what I can gather Unst are losing 5 big players next season, starting players that would have been automatic first picks at any point during next season. I believe this is why Unst are discussing the possibility of entering the B League next season.

However I do believe that if the teams merged, the Yell team would not bring any more quality to the already depleted Unst team, with the exemption of the goalkeeper.

Unst have the quantity to make the team, but not quality perhaps to compete anymore after losing these players, so merging with Yell wouldn't benefit Unst, and I believe both isles would be against it.

goalkeeper is going south to uni/college i believe *correct me if i'm wrong*

who's the 5 players?

Basically Unsts 4 strongest players are all now based in edinburgh, either working or as students, this means that theywill miss a large part of the season for this reason.

A couple of other A players players also seem to have decided to sign for other clubs sue to personal reasons or travel (due to them being based in the lerwick area).

This will leave the Unst squad lacking between 4 & 8 first team players at the start and end of the season, and 4 key players during the summer holidays, who were all available for the most part of last seaon.

Due to the quality that Unst willl then be missing, it is seen by many that entering The A League would result in a number of players playing severely out of their depths, and could lead to more embarassing results such as happened on a few ocassions last year, for example

Spurs 11-1 Unst

Unst 1 - 8 Ness

Whalsay 11 - 0 Unst

the 3 results above had stronger Unst starting XI's than will be available next season.

I know everyone will still mention the Unst 3-2 Deltiing result, which was an outstanding achievement, however the 3 results above showed Unsts lack of quality at times.

The decision to apply for Reserve league status is one for the clubs to make and apply to the association at the AGM in December. Bear in mind though that if a club with a single team, i.e Unst or Yell were to win the reserve league under the rules at present you would have to play in the Premier league the next season.

The decision to apply for Reserve league status is one for the clubs to make and apply to the association at the AGM in December. Bear in mind though that if a club with a single team, i.e Unst or Yell were to win the reserve league under the rules at present you would have to play in the Premier league the next season.

Is there any such rule for the Works league Penfold? If not then maybe that would be a better option for Unst?

There have been works league games played in Aith, Whalsay, and Burra this season, whether or not there would be support from the SWLFA clubs for a team from Unst to compete in the league if they wanted their home games in Unst as they stipulate at the moment would need to be seen.

From the SFA committee meetings and discussions in the past on league restructuring etc one of the main aims of Unst FC is to keep regular football being played at Baltasound, which I agree with, whats the point in having a team and all the hard work and money it takes to run if you can't play your home games at your home ground.

There have been works league games played in Aith, Whalsay, and Burra this season, whether or not there would be support from the SWLFA clubs for a team from Unst to compete in the league if they wanted their home games in Unst as they stipulate at the moment would need to be seen.

From the SFA committee meetings and discussions in the past on league restructuring etc one of the main aims of Unst FC is to keep regular football being played at Baltasound, which I agree with, whats the point in having a team and all the hard work and money it takes to run if you can't play your home games at your home ground.

Yes I don't believe Unst would be interested in playing Home games away from Baltasound, and if playing in the Works league would mean this, then perhaps it is not an option.