Shetland Football Gossip Column

Dusty Rhodes

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you say it cant work and like everybody i want to see both teams staying as they are everybody wants to hear about the north derby

but i see the merger as a last solution to an underlying problem the thought that hanging on for a couple of years till you are forced is just stuborn as said before ness united is the prime example they bit the bullit and merged because they realised they could not survive as the induvidual team they were, they now have the potential to challange for titles in 2 years time i would think if they put the ground work in now developing a team now thay would be a strong team in the future.

the main problems in "Northern Rovers" is not so much the players, but it is to do with who runs it, manages it, pays, for it where the games are played etc.

I think it is accepted within shetland football that unst is a financially secure and well run club, however in all respect yell are very much the opposite. This leads to alot of Problems..... and could end up with the Northern Rovers team looking like an absolute joke and embarassment as if it were not organised absolutely brilliantly, by a person who was willing to put in alot of time and be absolutely unbias. At the moment this person does not seem to exist! therefore northern rovers is not a option

but i see the merger as a last solution to an underlying problem the thought that hanging on for a couple of years till you are forced is just stuborn

i dont see why a squad of players who want to play for and represent their island/ community and have a good laugh over the summer should not be allowed to do this. Stubborness is not the issue....

I think it is accepted within shetland football that unst is a financially secure and well run club, however in all respect yell are very much the opposite. This leads to alot of Problems..... and could end up with the Northern Rovers team looking like an absolute joke and embarassment as if it were not organised absolutely brilliantly, by a person who was willing to put in alot of time and be absolutely unbias. At the moment this person does not seem to exist! therefore northern rovers is not a option

unst and yell merging as northern rovers is like celtic and rangers joining forces.... cant work.. wont work

I completly agree with these posts above. This wouldn't work. I don't believe it would work now or in 10 years time. As Baxter says, The football clubs are so different in the way they're run. Unst has from what I can gather financial stability and an increadible backing from the Unst population. I can only say from looking on the outside Yell doesn't have the same finances or backing (again this might not be true, however its just what it looks like).

The fact of the matter is, Unst aren't going to have anywhere near the squad they had last season. If they believe that dropping a division in standard is the best way forward for them, who's to complain? Why complain? As far as I'm concerned there is no point, no development atall as players in getting humped every single week like Yell did last year (with the exception of a fantastic victory over Scalloway). That isn't helping the league, the players, the team, the specticle of the league or the fans of any side who want to see competetive football throughout.

The bigger teams at the top I believe are getting closer together, in a few years time we might see a four or five team fight for a championship, but because of the resourses in Unst, their geographical position, lack of jobs which mean folk aren't moving up there etc. Unst is falling behind in quality.

the main problems in "Northern Rovers" is not so much the players, but it is to do with who runs it, manages it, pays, for it where the games are played etc.

i dont see why a squad of players who want to play for and represent their island/ community and have a good laugh over the summer should not be allowed to do this. Stubborness is not the issue....

I agree with a lot of what you say there.

However in what way are Yell not a "financially secure and well run club"? What basis are you using here? To my end I cannot see any difference between the clubs other than results on the pitch. Obviously I am not privy to the finances of both clubs, but is it not true that Yell has secured some major sponsorship deals, such as Yell.com, and this does not just happen.

The bigger teams at the top I believe are getting closer together, in a few years time we might see a four or five team fight for a championship, but because of the resourses in Unst, their geographical position, lack of jobs which mean folk aren't moving up there etc. Unst is falling behind in quality.

Its impossible to say what will happen in a few years time, perhaps Unst will again feel that they are in a position to give the A league a try agin, say perhaps if some of the students get jobs in shetland and everyone is willing to have another go at it. the main problem from Unsts perspective is next year and probably the year after where it looks like Unst will not have the quality available. Again, no decision has been made as to what unst DEFINATELY want to do next year, although entering the B's does look like the probable route unst will look to veer down.

I agree with a lot of what you say there.

However in what way are Yell not a "financially secure and well run club"? What basis are you using here? To my end I cannot see any difference between the clubs other than results on the pitch. Obviously I am not privy to the finances of both clubs, but is it not true that Yell has secured some major sponsorship deals, such as Yell.com, and this does not just happen.

Unst were extremely well off financially, to the point where i heard they were amongst the "richest" clubs in shetland, this is to do with the community helping and the players contributions throughout the season. Although i do not know yells exact financial position, i have heard that theyare not nearly as financially sound. In regards to how the club is run, unst as a community are very close together with little/no divides within it, yell on the other hand is notorious for its "in-fighting" and this leads to the players sometimes being criticised for not playing as a team. this is not intended to be "yell bashing", but my opinion on the subject, and this is also an opinion that runs throughout Unst and probably shetland.

Unst were extremely well off financially, to the point where i heard they were amongst the "richest" clubs in shetland, this is to do with the community helping and the players contributions throughout the season. Although i do not know yells exact financial position, i have heard that theyare not nearly as financially sound. In regards to how the club is run, unst as a community are very close together with little/no divides within it, yell on the other hand is notorious for its "in-fighting" and this leads to the players sometimes being criticised for not playing as a team. this is not intended to be "yell bashing", but my opinion on the subject, and this is also an opinion that runs throughout Unst and probably shetland.

Thanks Baxter, with all that money you could offer significant signing on fees to bulk up the squad!! Only joking :lol:

Although I would refrain from commenting that other clubs and associations are not financially secure and poorly run, when you do not know that this is the case.

I would agree with you that Unst do exhibit a high degree of team spirit which is among the best, if not the best, in Shetland. I think it is not only Yell that suffers from a degree of in-fighting within the team. That to a degree is down to the nature of individuals and is not uncommon.

I have been living up here for about 3 months now and have been able to watch a good few games at most levels - and must say I have been very impressed with what I have seen. You have a good mix of talented players that could be playing within the Scottish Leagues, but what I have been mostly impressed by in the emphasis put on the kids. Youth football (IMO) is meant to be about fun, challenging yourself and doing your best... but mostly fun. The youth set-ups I have seen out-rank what I have witnessed on the mainland - and for this you should be proud.

So as I sit reading the posts about money, teams joining etc. I feel the need to let you know what you have in Shetland is EXCELLENT. Forget the money, politics and crap that goes along with League Football, look at what you have for what you have - and be exceptionally proud of that (and thankful to all those who give their time to do it).

There are only 2 things I have disliked about Shetland Football:

1. Summer football - I can understand this (wind and all), but.... Im a traditionalist!

2. Kids supporting Rangers and Celtic... nothing new there, but... come on!

Apologies for going so far off topic, but my message stands.

Thanks Baxter, with all that money you could offer significant signing on fees to bulk up the squad!! Only joking :lol:

haha, unfortunately, unst seem to suffer from the same complaints both aberdeen fc and newcastle United fc have stated over the last few years...... ie. nobody wants to travel that far for a game of football.

I think "all that money" is a little overboard too, as unst probably have amongst the highest running costs of all the clubs in shetland, due to ferries, minibus hires, distance to games etc.

Also totally agree with Stephen's above post. you just have to look at the standards which some of the shetland boys reach within University football, as well as how well shetland's teams (young and old) perform when competieng on the mainland.

Whatever happens when and if any single team club enter the reserve league they need to be looking to the future as if they win it they will be promoted. The rule was changed to give single team clubs flexability given that they do not have the same resources as the larger clubs in terms of having reserve teams. New clubs could enter the Association and build towards entering the Premier league, and single team clubs struggling to compete and finishing bottom of the premier league had the chance to drop down and rebuild.

Any club in the premier league looking to drop down need to be mindful of that.

Well droping down i dont think will help in the long run BUT i do see why they would consider it as no team likes being beaten every week,

but something that has been brought up before was a loan system to aid the clubs like unst and yell,

each of the top end clubs seem to have abundace of players maybe with the exception of delting, an when you have players wanting to play a-league football if they were given the option to join a club for a short term deal being allowed to go back to his club when needed eg injury or suspentions have left them short eg less than 15 players in there first team, this could aid all induviudals involved am sure certian players would be interested although travel could be an issue (cost of fuel/ferries)

Loan System!?

This is amature football, if a player is not getting a game he can leave at anytime to join another club (if the club is against it he only needs give 4 weeks notice).

So, for example, if a Celtic player is the 12th man for the first month of the season and he knows 6 students are headed home, and he will never play A's he can just decide to leave. He does not need some elaborate loan system, blessing of the manager or some other scheme all he needs is the desire to play rather than dirty a shirt on the sidelines. (there are enough A team standard players in Shetland for ten teams but realistically they will not move away from their pals/long term clubs to play).

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that a number of senior county players have approached John Johnston regarding applying for the Shetland managers position again. Apparently there is a major split in the Shetland squad between the Delting players (who form their own clique and will not mix ) and the rest of the squad. The players are also unhappy with John Jamiesons tactics or to be more accurate, the lack of them in certain games and match circumstances.

I also hear that Derek Bradley is considering applying for the position. Aparently and ironically, John Johnston put forward a motion at the 1995 A.G.M. that the managers position should be voted on a 2 year basis from one Inter-Island games to the next as the players did not want the possibility of change half way through games preparation. Therefore the job is up for grabs at this years A.G.M. Derek also points out that Colin Summers also put forward an amendment at the same meeting that no Shetland manager can manage a club at the same time. As Derek was the Spurs manager he was forced to give one up. Both these guys are aware of this and believe that John Jamieson should never have been appointed without a motion to change the rules.

John Jamieson should be given more time to apply his thinking on the squad. He has proved year after year to be a very capable manager at Delting and has more authority about him than the other two. John Johnson is too weak and soft and Derrick is thought of more as a joke figure by the players.