Shetland Football Gossip Column

Dusty Rhodes

Its a desperate state of affairs that no Shetland team is now going to Isle of Man.

Realising that the lack of a manager is the show stopper (is it the only reason?) I wonder out loud whether any of the senior players in the Shetland Squad would consider a player manager role?

It is probably now too late to bring such a move into effect, but if the guys who are in the squad are actually up for this could it not be considered as an alternative, pending completion of the search for a permenant manager?

If so, who do you think would be capable of a player manager role? It could be more than one person to share the responsibility.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty sad state of affairs that nobody wants the job but it is now a poisoned chalice. The fact that there only a few players turning up to senior training towards the end of JJ's reign kind of shows that some of the players are probably getting fed up with the constant politics and sprootle that goes with the saga as a whole.

I mean it's not only the Shetland managers job, but the Shetland Football Association has a lot of problems. Did Mark Goodhand not resign because of being overuled even though he was the head of discipline? (don't know if that's true). I even had problems myself with suspension rules changing from player to player.

I know it's an incredibly hard thing to run and there is not a lot of help coming forward, but there is a lot more work that needs to be done than just getting in a manager for the shetland job. I don't think trying to force a man to do the job is right either surely there is somebody out there that wants it ? I always thought Martin Gibbs was a good shout but he maybe isn't interested. Could try Diego Maradona, he is out of a job? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This whole situation regarding the appointment of a new manager is a complete disgrace. We have a manager who can only commit for 2 months prior to the county against Orkney. Who have the Association approached for the position? I doubt that anyone has been identified apart from Niall. I know that neither Derrick Bradley nor John Johnson (the previous incumbents) have been approached. No-one I have asked on the Association and club members can give me the name of any person approached for this important position.

Under Derrick Bradley (love him or hate him) Shetland attended every Inter-Island games prior to his removal in 2003. Since then we have only travelled to one. The Association which is supposed to promote the game in these Isles have reduced us to one game a year against Orkney again, effectively taking us back 20 years.

• 1 month later...

Rumour has it that, Calum 'Girble' Clark has moved from Delting A to Wrultizers. From the mouth of the one in question he reckons he needs a new challange after winnin 6 in a row with the A's. Tizers are in need of numbers after their 8-1 defeat to Ness B at the weekend

Rumour has it that, Calum 'Girble' Clark has moved from Delting A to Wrultizers. From the mouth of the one in question he reckons he needs a new challange after winnin 6 in a row with the A's. Tizers are in need of numbers after their 8-1 defeat to Ness B at the weekend

somehow i dont think that rumour is true frank, and 6 in a row?