Shetland Football Gossip Column

Dusty Rhodes

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i think the both of you just knocked the nail on the head.

from what i can read into it while unst seem to have arrogance that yell is beneath (excuse the pun) them in a football sence and with the thomson brothers away and from what i hear liam macgregor maybe finding another club from what i hear maybe not true? i also heard the mouat man was jackin it in due to injury, so they will struggle i mean they are a crackin football side but with them missing your tearing out the heart of the side.

if the two did merge they would have a squad that would cope through the season maybe not the best squad but still a squad that could also play in the b league and would at least that would allow the younger players to be bled in to senior level (i am well aware that this dose not always happen)

but if the 2 were allowed to drop down would that not be a slap in the face to burra who asked if this could be done for them??? would that not bring in to question the football association decision a couple of years ago am pretty sure that that if the A league were cut down in size it would become a bit of a running joke i mean 8 teams from 11 a couple of years ago how long before its 6?

Unst will not struggle for players, they wil always get 11 on the pitch, it is the quality of those players that is the problem.

as braveheart said unst may be missin players next year, these players just happen to be their better players!!

So the players in Unst feel that with the players available to them next year they would be better at a B standard as this is the standard they feel they can play and compete.

Lets be honest here if Unst and Yell did merge all you would be doing is putting more b standard player together!! This is not a dig at yell, unst are also in the same situation of not having A league players available!

TWO "B" SQUADS DONT ADD UP TO AN "A" SQUAD

I think people on here are looking at this in the wrong light!! instead of complaining about Unst wanting to play football at their players standards, they should be asking where these better players will be playing when they do come home!!

for example the thomson brothers will need A teams when they are home!!!

i'm sure plenty of clubs will be offering juicy contracts!!

i agree you will get better if you are playing at a higher level even if you take a couple of beatings but it will come full circle and if they stick it out they will get results like they got this season but more often eg when they beat delting 3-2 but for lasting sucess i think they will have to merge because of numbers and the lack of number from the induvidual isles

I think what folk are wondering about is why a team that finished 8th in a league of 10 are having to discuss the need to drop down a level. Yell's postition is different they finished on the bottom.

The reasons stated are valid enough but to say that they need to go down a level before even kicking a ball next season will be why some posting on here have taken issue with it, and if the Unst team did step down and won the league they would have to return to the Premier league, what would have changed in the Unst camp within two years?

Im not saying they should merge, just thinking that all options should be explored before December comes round.

At the moment neither Unst FA or yell FA have suggested a formal merger.

As far is i am concerned, would it not be better for the shetland FA to keep the individual teams? This will get more players on the pitch, even if it is in the B league? Surely this will merely promote more football throughout the islands, especially for those men who have found themselves on the fringes of Unst and yell's teams this year. Unst managed to field a B team during last season, and this team had alot of players (of a large variety of standards) available to it and some players had to be left out of this squad.

For this to work, unst will have to admit defeat and allow the best players to leave to seek out A league football (if that is what they want to do), but perhaps it is time for Unst to focus on its majority, ie. the boys who are B league players. Obviously i cant comment on yell's situation. And if Shetland FA are going to promote football throught the islands, perhaps they should allow this to happen, as it may get alot more boys on the field.

On the Burra front,as suggested above, it will be a major kick in the teeth for them, but i felt the SFA were wrong to treat them the way they did anyway. Perhaps the way forward is to approach Mossbank, Burra West side rebels, West Linga etc to join the 2nd tier of shetland football too and have a competitive league. :shock: just a suggestion, and make shetland football more like national football, ie. promotion, relegation. How about giving the teams at the bottom of the A league something to play for too, ie. a play off game between bottom of A's and top of B's???

Ok Unst drop down to the B league and so do Yell.

You say you have plenty of players so merge with Yell and put in a A league team as Northern Rovers and keep your separate teams in the B league.

It will give the boys that still want a crack in the top division happy while still keeping your own identity.

If either of Yell or Unst win the B league cross that bridge if it happens.

I see both sides to the argument yes teams should find there level to play at and should not be forced to play where they don’t want to or merge if they don’t want to.

But at the present time I fell the merger could be the best way forward.

As you say Yell do not have the best players at the moment but in two, three maybe more year’s time it might be role reversal where Yell have the better players.

Lessons were learnt from the restructuring, thats why the proposal to let single club teams enter the reserve league was passed with the addition that if they win the league they are promoted.

On the matter of clubs entering the Association it is against SAFA rules to activley approach and induce clubs to leave another association. The Shetland Football Association is open to any club to apply to enter in either division if they wish, but that has to be off their own back.

Its a pity that the total re-structuring of the leagues and associations fell through as I feel that 3 leagues with promotion and relegation would have been the way forward. Premier League, League one, and league two, clubs that have reserve teams would have their reserve teams start in league two, and reserve teams would have always have to play in a league below their main team, for example Ness Utd get relegated and their Reserve team were in league one, the Ness B team would have to move down to league two and the second placed team in league two would be promoted along with the champions.

I don't know how people can't understand this TWO B TEAMS DON'T ADD UP TO AN A TEAM!!!!!

personally i feel the relegation promotion way is the best!! that way each team would find their way to their standard in the end!!!

i don't understand how people cant just look at the situation and notice that it doesnt work for teams like unst and yell, burra is an example!!

I think the people running shetland football are too focused on their own teams at the top half of the table and like to think the bottom teams will just follow suit!!

There are too many people in shetland that are involved with football at a high level that just want to get the Shetland team playing in mainland scotland rather than getting the league sorted out so that each team and player are playing at the level they should be

Any team who want to survive needs a population big enough to support youth development. Without a progression of young players there really is no future competing in the A League. This is the problem both Unst and Yell face and it's not going to change. Personaly I can't see how football in the north isles can benefit by having their good young players playing for other teams.

The south end could just as easily be facing the same problem but they have come together under Ness United and have a club that is making steady progress each year.

The reserve league is exactly that and if teams start entering their first teams in the league how long before we end up with the same situation as a couple of years ago with five or six A teams. Also why would the team who finishes bottom of the A League want the humiliation of playing the winners of the B League. Players willing to step up to compete against the best in Shetland deserve encouragement.

Just because Unst and Yell wont have enough players in 10 years time doesnt mean that they should merge now! Yes maybe in 5-6-7 years time these two teams will need to come together to make enough numbers for a team!! But who says that a Northern Rovers in the future will be good enough to compete in the A league any way?? what happens then? do we join with Delting who also seem to have a poor junior team just to play A league football?

It all comes down to the point that has been made before on this thread, Unst have enough playerrs to make a team but only at a B standard! yes Unst do have a few players that are A league players but most of them cant garantee if they will be able to play for more than a couple of games next year due to other comitments!

The SFA should be trying to keep as many teams playing football in shetland as possible. They should see the situation and try to find a possible solution that benefits everyone!! i know this sounds impossible (especially to some people on here, who think that the easy option is the best)

I cannot say if this is how Yell feel but i would think it is something similar!