Cricket in Shetland

splodger

Hi splodger,

There is an indoor, 6-a-side cricket league in the winter and semi-regular outdoor games at Clickimin in the summer.

The indoor league games are played on Sunday afternoons, at the Anderson High School games hall. There are 8 teams in the league, and new players are always welcome. Send me a PM if you'd like to get involved.

There is also an open net session in the Clickimin Leisure Centre almost every Wednesday night, at 8pm. Feel free to turn up if you fancy a bat and bowl.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers

Apologies to those I miss, ...

Errrm cough, fencing perhaps MiM? Perhaps not enormously popular numerically, but worth noting that the local club is remarkably good. Few seem to be aware that Andy is without doubt one of the best coaches in the UK, resulting in achievements that must make fencing one of the sports where Shetland excels most.

Apologies to those I miss, ...

Errrm cough, fencing perhaps MiM?

Ah, mais oui, mais oui mein gelegentlich fechtender Freund. (an' if yun's a lok o' hellery...blame Babelfish :lol:)

Shetland really does punch - or should that be duel - well above its weight population-wise in the field of fencing...as you say muchly due to Andy but also not forgetting his club colleagues.

Also sports I'd not mentioned...sea-kayaking, hockey, netball, gymnastics.

No doubt I've still forgotten some...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of the 41 sports that currently exist in Shetland - with varying levels of organisation and activity.

Angling – Sea

Angling - Trout

Archery

Athletics

Badminton

Basketball

Baton Twirling

Bowls – Indoor

Bowls – Outdoor

Canoeing/Kayaking

Climbing

Cricket

Cycling

Darts

Equestrianism

Fencing

Football

Golf

Gymnastics

Hockey

Karate

Model yachting

Motocross

Netball

Octopush

Pool

Rowing

Rugby

Sailing

Shooting

Skateboarding

Snooker

Squash

Sub-aqua

Swimming

Table tennis

Trampolining

Volleyball

Waterskiing

Weightlifting

Windsurfing

You might be able to push the list to 42 if you include pigeon racing... http://www.shetlandpigeons.com

It is all here somewhere...

• 14 years later...
On 28/02/2009 at 19:57, wally jumblat said:

Hi splodger,

There is an indoor, 6-a-side cricket league in the winter and semi-regular outdoor games at Clickimin in the summer.

The indoor league games are played on Sunday afternoons, at the Anderson High School games hall. There are 8 teams in the league, and new players are always welcome. Send me a PM if you'd like to get involved.

There is also an open net session in the Clickimin Leisure Centre almost every Wednesday night, at 8pm. Feel free to turn up if you fancy a bat and bowl.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers

Is there a telephone number for the club? I may visit and would love to play in a match.