very old photos

whiskin

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It's Lunning. The hoose in the background is da Knowes, the roof is aff the peerie wan in the foreground noo, I tink. There are actually two houses aligned in the centre of the picture - you can just make out the two skylights of the one at the rear, just peeping above the ridge of the nearer one.

I don't want to argue with Skyumpi's local knowledge, but there's something about the picture which just doesn't make sense, eg. the height of the ground in the background.

Could be just camera angle.. Best bet would be if Heimdal goeas for a photographic mission to Lunning. Then we can have the 'then and now' pictures.

I would love to see more 'then and now' pictures..

:D

You can look it up on street view!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lunning+shetland&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nl

Roof indeed off smaller house and front protrusion / porch bit of main house seems to have lost its pitched roof and now looks a bit odd. But it could very well be the place in the photo.

I just thought it was totally amazing that, once someone had suggested the location, thanks to Google having taken its camera so far along a country road, GR could, in the middle of the night, fiddle about until he had an almost perfect 'then and now' shot from the same place!

Do people think that the ability to do this is wonderfully enabling or an unwarranted intrusion? Or somewhere in between?