very old photos

whiskin

POOKS -- I thought along the Hillhead as I know there were family connections there but checked out the houses and its similar but not right. 2nd pic sign seems to say North Eastern Farmers Shetland, some of it is obliterated but can see enough to put that together

Guest Anonymous

I think that Heimdal is right about Whiskin's picture 1

That house is so distinctive that it can't be Lerwick.

My second thought is Aberdeen, somewhere in the Queens Road area, which I remember quite well.

Is it possible that these girls were there on holiday or at college??

I would tend to agree with Heimdal, at first glance it could be Lerwick, but the closer you look, the less likely it becomes.

Not very many older houses in Lerwick with the height of garden walls those on the far side of the street have, the road seems quite wide relative to those of the era, not many of those in Lerwick. The railing on the garden dyke in the mid distance looks alien to the eye too.

Best guess to begin with was someplace in St Olaf Street between Union Street and Prince Alfred Street, but the slopes are too much/too little/going in the wrong direction, and there are no garden walls or houses there like those anyway once you study them.

Guest Anonymous

^^Because of the slope of the road I looked at my old postcard pics of the streets which could fit, and there is nothing.

99% sure it is not Lerwick.

Must have a trawl through the Museum pics, but I think we'll find it is not Lerwick.

Some more photos I need help with!

No 1

No.1 I thought was in Lerwick but now not so sure as can't quite place where its at, girl on right is Margaret Hunter from Hillswick taken around 1940, does anyone know the other two?

quote]

I wondered if it was one of the houses on the south side of the South Road. The junction with Burgh Road would be out of sight just to the left of the photo. This would be taken from the garden at the end opposite the the big extension on the first house on the block. I think that the two 'garages' which are in the picture on the road have been taken away to make drives for the houses in the picture.

Then again - it could be somewhere else...

Guest Anonymous

No 1

No.1 I thought was in Lerwick but now not so sure as can't quite place where its at, girl on right is Margaret Hunter from Hillswick taken around 1940, does anyone know the other two?

quote]

I wondered if it was one of the houses on the south side of the South Road. The junction with Burgh Road would be out of sight just to the left of the photo. This would be taken from the garden at the end opposite the the big extension on the first house on the block. I think that the two 'garages' which are in the picture on the road have been taken away to make drives for the houses in the picture.

Then again - it could be somewhere else...

The south side of South Road has no junction with Burgh Road. Opposite Burgh Road is Sletts Road, and that is definitely not where this picture is.

The slope of the road, given the drop in level of the houses could only indicate a few places in Lerwick.

1) Prince Alfred Street. - No

2) Union Stret - No

3) King Erik Street - No

4) King Harald Street (South end) - Possible if the houses have changed a lot.

5)St Olaf Street (South End) - Unlikely, but possible 10% chance.

Yun's aa

A'm Geeng

Ta bed

:D

You could well be right nautim, the part hidden two storey mid picture would be this one:

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/image.php?i=38790&r=2&t=4&x=1

Both houses are in this one, the one on the right has been altered a good bit over time, but the basic shape etc is right.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/image.php?i=190502&r=2&t=4&x=1

Mystery solved.

Guest Anonymous

Ghostrider,

Whit's du smokin nooadays?? :wink:

No even near da mark. :wink:

I ken wha lives in da richt haand een o yun twa. Da hoos is still da sam, nearly.

Hae a look at diss -

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/image.php?i=26167&r=1&t=4&x=1

the hoose fae GR's photo and the one next to it (with a frontal extension added) are a remarkably similar pairing. It's an uncanny, but i doot the heights of the two, relative to each other, seem wrong.

This is doing my head in noo...... :wink:

//edit - heh heh - took me a while to post it and ^yun happened.

Guest Anonymous

Methinks that Njugle has latched on to the main problem.

The houses slope down to the right, not up to the right as they would do if they were on the north side of South Road, as suggested by Ghostrider.

Like Njugle, I'm going to lose sleep over this mystery. But not a lot, as I'm certain the pic isn't in Lerwick.

I've wasted too much of my old life looking at old pictures, so for once I actually could be right...

Well there is a first time for everything. :lol:

I'm outvoted, so I'll cede to democracy....this time. :wink: :lol:

I might even agree with the majority too. While the two houses could fit, not much else does when you study everything. The house gable end on in the background has all wrong lums and windows, the single storey extension on the end of the nearest one goes from a central window in the Museum picture, to a door and window in this one, and back to the original central window in a present day shot. The slope doesn't look much, and I was prepared to write it off as being that silly little flat bit that is, or at least used to be on the road around there, but when you factor in the fact that the picture is taken so that the people are standing plumb, rather than it being taken a true plumb, its a lot steeper than it at first looks.

Oh well, if is isn't those Scalloway Road ones, I very much doubt its anywhere in town. I shall now go and book my sight test.....or find something much stronger to smoke. :P

No 1

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo297/chatelaine79/Lerwick2a.gif

No1 is Scalloway road. The reason you can't identify it is because it is a mirror image. Try reversing it and you will recognise it. One of the houses in the background is the house I grew up in.