Don’t call a woman Miss says Brussels

BTW I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that soljey = muckleviking. If so, why the multiple identities for this thread?

Sorry about that. I sign as Muckleviking in another forum (not Shetlink) I belong to elsewhere. I inadvertantly type in muckleviking. I hadn't noticed I'd done that. No intention to confuse.

Note to moderator can you remove muckleviking?

Folk should be addressed as they wish to be. If the women who work in Brussels would rather not have their marital status referred to within their name, then why does that upset anyone for goodness sake? I prefer to be addressed by my name, and, failing that, as Ms. A guideline suggesting use of a neutral title unless and until the person themselvs requests something different just seems sensible. :roll:

What's the source for this story....

Also, where is the link to this? Any evidence?

Found on the sundy post web site

http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/mags/post/postindex.htm

Who can come up with the next silly idea that Brussels will come out with next. But this is the silly system that the Alex Salmond person wants to join but break away from the rest of the UK.

Just imagine what the human race would look like if Brussels had any hand in the design blokes would probably have to scratch there nuts by scratching between there toes. And the only thing they would get right for the first time is all politicians would find ther bum and ther mouths is in the same place

(** mod edit - please don't try to bypass the swear filters Para Handy. They're there for a reason **)

"Modern Persian is a language completely without gender. There are not even different words for "he" and "she," just the unisex un. (There are not even different titles for married and unmarried women: Persian khânum can be translated as "Ms.") Nevertheless, after some progress under Western influence, the Revolutionary Iran of the Ayatollah Khomeini retreated from the modern world into a vigorous reëstablishment of mediaevalism, putting everyone, especially women, back into their traditional places. So the advice could be: If someone wants "non-sexist language," move to Iran. "

http://www.friesian.com/language.htm

Very interesting. While reading it I couldn't help thinking about the old but excellent "double negative" joke. Off-topic but for those who haven't heard it:

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative.

However," he pointed out, "there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A Scottish voice from the back of the room is heard to say dryly, "Yeah, right."

I haven't found another link aboot this yet...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs009.gif JAStewart

Just have to wait and see. But this is still Brussels and they are capable of any dirty backhanded trick. That they think they can get away with.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif

Don’t call a woman Miss says Brussels

On the Daily Politics program today coming live from Brussels a member of EU parliament has admitted that it is true. So the council will have to stop putting in Manholes and start putting in person holes Or a nurse in hospital will have to wipe persons holes as well