Shetland Being Promoted in Norway.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_03_2009/VisitScotland%20promotes%20Shetland%20in%20Oslo.htm

Nice to see a bit of work being done on this front by Visit Shetland, and Visit Scotland, although I have to admit that perhaps Visit Shetland would be better targeting West Norway, rather than Oslo, given the historic connections, and the obvious flight connection.

With the Norwegian Kroner at only 9 to the UK Pound, this should be the best year for Norwegian visitors to the UK, so good news for Shetland tourism.

Does anybody here think that Shetland could be doing more to attract Norwegian visitors? And if so what?

Also, I'd be interested to know what Shetlanders like and dislike about Norway,, apart from the current exchange rate.

And of course, this would be a nice thread for Norwegians members to say what they like about Shetland. :wink:

:D

Nice to know that you love Norway, PJ, you have maybe been in middle Norway earlier, Ã…lesund and northwards ?? I of couse thinks that my part is the nicest :wink:

Auld Rasmie says that they should promote Shetland in West Norway....,well, there has been connections from this area since the Viking age,,,and we shares a lot of history,,,,but the people in south and east Norway almost know nothing....so they need to get some knowledge about the islands....and there are good flight connections to Bergen. And advertising in the national newspapers is good, they are read all over the country.

I think that all Norwegians will like Shetland, and feel at home, if they are pepared for some windy, rainy days too :lol: Shetland on a fine sunny day is just beauty :D

David, Norway can be a high cost place for Brits now,,,, but,, if you stay away from the hotels :evil: , there can be very cheap accomodations when you are driving around the Country,,,,,. Last summer when we were bringing the kids back to Bergen, we stayed overnight in a camping bød, midway between Ålesund and Bergen, a very, very nice place...we payed 500 Norwegian Kroner for the night, that's about £55 now...it was four of us, but there were beds for seven/eight persons....,that's not bad, and there are many places like that if you search for them :wink:

Auld Rasmie asked what more could be done to attract visitors to Shetland?

Well seeing there aint no ferry, an increase in the amount of flights would be a start. The flights from here to Bergen are great, but just 3 months?

Norwegians like their spring holidays, so flights then would be good.

I think 2 flights a week year round, then an increase to 3 flights a week between May to September would cover it, and i bet they would always be busy.

This has to be good for Buisness ventures as well.

I know lots of people who would like to have Xmas in Norway, go Skiing etc.

Perhaps surveys by the Shetland tourist people done in Bergen would be good, and what about our twin town of Maloy?

The trouble is promoting Scotland is not promoting Shetland, a more niche market is needed for here.

I believe Norwegians would make good use of year round flights to Shetland, christ it is only a 1 hour flight away!

We have to get away from all things "Aberdeen"....Hospital visits etc the exception.

Loads of peolple slag of Norway for being expensive..ie...eating out and BEER.

If you self cater, hire a cabin, eat out occassionaly, it is fine.

You do have a choice.

Plus public transport is very good, and travel on trains of buses is cheap for under 16s, or free.

My 12 year old and me got the train from Bergen to Voss ..approx 1 1/4 hours for under a fiver, she was free,

Under 16s in Shetland should NOT pay for any public transport :evil:

Once in Bergen, the transport links are superb to any destination in any direction, Tunnels! lots of tunnels, and fast ferries etc.

I just don't understand why there isn't a serious effort on behalf of SIC to secure full time links with Bergen, flights and Ferries, tourism both ways and buisness, especially with a freight boat between here and Norway, it just seems everything has to go through Scotland. the Scottish links are there the Norwegian ones are not there yet, One can only live in hope!!

David, Norway can be a high cost place for Brits now,,,, but,, if you stay away from the hotels

If you shop around, you can find accommodation - in hotels - for less than staying in similar places in the UK. We did so last year in Bergen, Oslo and Trondheim. In fact, hotel accommodation was the least pricey aspect of the hotel. And all of them were very clean and comfortable,

Auld Rasmie asked what more could be done to attract visitors to Shetland?...

We'll dat's a damne'd good question ... :lol: :

Firstly, you decided to quit the service by VisitScotland ... agreed, be consequent, give up all links, you don't need them anyway ...

EXCEPT one aspect: You should keep Andy and all of the other staff at Market Cross ... :wink: ... whenever yu look around continental forums you might easily find out that these folks are among the top three TIC-crews in Scotland !!! ... and me is not joking, I'm watching the scene for 30 years and more ... :wink:

Secondly, NorthLink is still refusing special Tourist-Tickets like the Hop-Scotch-Tickets of CalMac ... you should simply ask: WHY? ... and if you can't get an agreement, you should ask: How many tourists are travelling to the islands and what do we have to pay in order to allow them to travel at costs as we locals do? You will have to invest X£ but how many y£ will you get back from those who will honour and pay back for the fact that they are treated as locals ... and how long will they stay, paying on the camp site, buying in local shops ... ?

The same it is with inter-island travel: There are probably 10 tourists pa travelling by boat to the Out Skerries ... to let them travel free of charge is one thing (it will probably cost you £60 py quit or so) but you can sell it on the international market under the headline "you can travel free of any costs within our archipelago" ... :lol:

Logibears connection with a tiny plane is going to Bergen ... but you are still funding VisitScotland representing Scotland in Oslo ... anything above the 20 seats or so offered per week will end up in complete frustration ... ever thought about that ... ???

What can be done to attract Norwegian tourists to Shetland ??

Well, that's not an easy question to answer....

I'm trying to think like a normal Norwegian tourist...(that's not easy)

If you have no special interest in history, or is a yacht person, there's nothing that can attract a Norwegian. We have enough seabirds, seals and whales, (I'm nearly scared to mention the last thing), on our own coast....bad weather too, ,,,The normal Norwegian will go to some hotter spot during their holidays, South Europe, USA and Caribia are popular destinations. The best reason to go to anywhere in Britain is cheap shopping...City trips..(have to admit;I like it).....

The other way around...Norway has a lot of things the Shetland don't have....high mountains, curvy roads, (well, east Yell have roads that nearly scared me), but to be serious, we have easy axcess to a landscape that is totally different from Shetland, and a better weather....so it should be easier to promote Norway to Shetlanders......

....Maybe I'm wrong.....

Year round flights to Bergen would be used by the oil industry, up to a dozen of the folk on a flight to Copenhagen from Aberdeen got on the flight to Oslo then Bergen with me last year. Total cost of my ticket from Sumburgh to Bergen £1270 Sumburgh Aberdeen return was £260.

Let travel agents know that they can use the route and it would be well used, as long as Flybe take into account connections through to/from Aberdeen.

I have flown that route to Bergen several times so it is not a one off.

twice last summer the travel agents in England used by my company could not find flights from here to Bergen, when the first failed and I insisted that there were flights my co. contacted another agent who even after calling me and getting the flight details still failed to find the flight on their system. Yet a call to Sumburgh confirmed there were seats.

This is something that should be addressed by Loganair/Flybe.

I am not so optimistic about flights to Bergen. I hope I am wrong as I would love nothing more than to see a permanent connection.

Both destinations are expensive and somewhat limited by weather. From my own experience I would expect that after a few years gap there is a demand/uptake of flights which will then reduce over a couple of years until it becomes uneconomical. e.g. Once you've paid your visit to your relative in Norway it might be a year or two before you want to go again.

Norwegians are like us they generally want some sun and cheap food and drink and they won't get that here.

I note that Aberdeen is starting to wane as a flight destination/transfer point and that Edinburgh is on the ascension.

Norwegian Airlines operate to Oslo from Edinburgh. Their rates are fairly reasonable and they also operate within and outwith Norway from Oslo. I have used them a lot both to travel to Norway and to Bergen, Aalesund, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf from Oslo. Worth looking at.

The Shetland/Bergen link is well used. I don't know whether an all year round service would be a financial success but personally I'd love it. The train journey from Bergen to Oslo is very pleasant too and there are reasonably priced places to stay overnight in Bergen before travelling on. Check out Citybox.