Flybe luggage

Frances144

Please can someone confirm for me what my baggage allowance is:

I am flying from Sumburgh/Inverness/Gatwick and then back Gatwick/Aberdeen/Sumburgh.

I have not paid for extra baggage.

When I get on at Sumburgh, can I have hold luggage as well as hand luggage or do I have to pay extra for the hold luggage?

I ask this because the Inverness/Gatwick bit is run by Flybe and the first bit is Loganair. Loganair allow you to have 20kg of hold baggage. If my luggage is going "straight through" to be picked up at Gatwick then will they ask me for money?

On the way back, however, I will check in with Flybe I suppose. Will they ask for money if I have "hold" luggage.

It says you are allowed 10kg of hand luggage so I am thinking I might just use that up instead if Flybe are going to charge.

My hubby went away at beginning of March. He had one medium sized holdall to be checked in and had his survival suit tightly rolled up in a black bag which he was going to carry on as hand luggage. When he checked in he was told the survival suit would have to go into the hold. He agreed and was then charged £10. The holdall would never have been 20kg and the two together would never even been close. I'd watch out if I were you. We are going away in May and I've decided to take 2 small cases instead of one large one.

Your best bet would be to give them a ring. Loganair Sumburgh 01950 460345.

The Flybe and Loganair websites don't exactly make it clear:-

Checked Baggage

Loganair's maximum free baggage allowance on all aircraft types is 1 piece of luggage per person up to 20kg. When you check-in, please ensure your baggage is secure, labelled with your name and destination address, and that old destination labels are removed. Do not pack medication, important documents, valuable items or cash in your checked Baggage and please do not carry any unidentified Baggage for other people as this is considered a security risk.

If you are connecting onto another flight, and are issued with transit boarding cards, your luggage will be checked through to your final destination. As there is no Baggage security clearance at Barra, Campbeltown and Tiree, passengers are required to collect their luggage at Glasgow and recheck-in for their onward flight. As there is no Baggage security clearance at Barra passengers are required to collect their luggage at Glasgow and recheck-in for their onward flight.

For passengers connecting to Flybe services, not operated by Loganair, the luggage allowance will is also 20kgs however Flybe's own baggage charges for the carriage of luggage will apply for the onward flight.

For passengers connecting to a Flybe services with an Economy Plus ticket the greater luggage allowance of 30kgs will apply. Please see www.flybe.com for details.

When passengers are connecting directly on to a British Airways service to London or beyond the luggage allowance will be 1 piece at 23kgs per person.

Cabin Baggage

In addition to the free checked baggage allowance, you may carry personal items as cabin baggage. However, to ensure the safety and comfort for everyone on board, Loganair restricts the carry-on cabin baggage to one piece per passenger. The cabin baggage must be labelled at check-in, weigh under 6 kilos, and not exceed dimensions of 17" x 11" x 9" (45cm x 30cm x 23cm) i.e. to fit in an overhead bin or under your seat. On certain flights it may be necessary to put cabin baggage in the hold, and it will be returned to you at the bottom of the steps on arrival.

Loganair recommends passengers include important documents, cash, valuables, medication and laptops in their cabin baggage. Loganair recommends passengers do not carry items which are considered a security risk in their cabin baggage, for we cannot accept liability for items removed by airport security staff.

Hold baggage

Each checked item of hold baggage is charged at £13.00 / €19.00 / CHF27.00, per item, per sector, if booked in advance through the www.flybe.com website, and £13.00 / €19.00 / CHF27.00 per item, per sector if presented un-booked at the airport or if booked through the Flybe Customer Call Centre. A discounted rate of GBP7.99, EUR11.00, CHF17.00 per one way flight will be charged for the first bag booked on Flybe.com. No refund will be given on this discounted rate.

Excess luggage Excess baggage is carried on a standby basis only. Carriage will only take place if there is sufficient space available in the aircraft hold and will be subject to a charge (currently GBP10.00 per kilo for the first 3 kilos, £15 per kilo for between 4 and 6 kilos and £20 for every kilo above 6) . Charges may vary for franchise or code share routes not operated by Flybe, and will be applied at the prevailing rate when payment is made. For further information contact the Flybe Customer Call Centre on 0871 700 2000 / 0044 1392 680073 (from outside the UK).

There are no baggage charges for interline passengers travelling on through tickets.

Passengers may carry one pushchair or pram and one car seat for each child or infant. Flybe do not charge for the carriage of pushchairs or car seats

Looks like it is:-

------------------------------Weight-------Cost------

Loganair Hand Baggage---6kg----------£0.00-----

Loganair Hold Baggage---20kg---------£0.00------

Flybe Hand Baggage------10kg---------£0.00------

Flybe Hold Baggage-------20kg---------£13.00----

--------------------------------------------------------

Again it doesn't say very clearly whether you pay extra for being booked all the way through but it looks like you do.

Not long back from holiday, I didn't pay any extra for baggage, had a suitcase and a backpack as hand baggage. They didn't ask anything about my case at all, and when I got to the check-in in Edinburgh for my connecting flight my case was weighed in at around 16kg. So I think you'll be alright with whatever case you are planning to take, unless of course its particularly heavy! :D

• 1 month later...

hi

i spoke to the lady at the check in desk at edinburgh the other day and quizzed her about the luggage rules.

she said if you go over your 20kg limit you have to pay £10, even if its just 1kg. but if you want to pay extra baggage its £10 for a maximum of 20kg...another suitcase worth.

so you might as well take an extra case and fill it full for your £10 rather than just get a kg back.

i was gutted when i heard this. if i'd have known that i would've done my winter clothes and some xmas shopping whilst i was south.

thats terrible.

i flew with flyglobspan the other week and they have a new system where your to add you baggage after you've selected your flight.

i didn't know this and went to check in we put our cases on the belt and they said you haven't selected any baggage. :shock: luckily i'd ticked for one case as i thought i was adding extra baggage so we only had to pay £13 but if we'd added the baggage online when i booked it would've been £8

but once we were abroad we had to go to an internet cafe and add our baggage for coming home or we'd have got a big shock at the airport

I'm amazed at how strict the staff are at Sumburgh compared to Glasgow. We flew from Sumburgh 2 weeks ago and had 2 small cases. We went through security and I had my hand bag opened and all contents taken out had my purse emptied had to switch on both my camera and phone and hubby had to take off his belt shoes and empty his pockets. Different story flying to Gran Canaria we went straight through security with water and lucozade and it was the same coming back to Glasgow. Then we came home and checked in at Glasgow and I knew one case was overweight by 3kg and was fully expecting a charge and was surprised when I wasn't charged. Same again going through security only belts and hand luggage through the xray. I would have thought after the attack at Glasgow things would have been stricter.