Speaker Cables

Ross

Does anybody know if any of the local merchants sell terminated speaker cables?

I put a bid on ebay on some cables , only to get off the boat this morning to find out I got outbid by a penny! Bid snipers are so unsporting.

Cheers

Are they for home use or car use ect

They're for home use. I'm using this Itube Carbon

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/10064-carbon23q1wipod.jpg

To drive some Monitor Audio BR2s

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/107414.jpg

They sound amazing at the moment, but I want to upgrade the speaker cable from the standard.

Nifty setup Ross

I don't know what connections are on the back of the speakers, but from the pics of the amp I doubt you'll find any cables up here...(am I right in thinking they're not the normal3.5 jacks/rca's?)
They're 'banana' connectors

As a rule, you're better off using tightly screwed bare wire connections rather than terminators. It gives better surface to surface contact and is less prone to the effects of oxidisation than the smooth surfaces of most connectors. You'll probably find that you'll need to give the cable clamps a couple of tightens in the days after you connect the cables due to the copper settling in and expanding/contracting with the heat of the amp

And bare wire means you can cut the cables to the shortest lengths required; the shorter the better, but a few feet of slack won't make a noticeable difference. But make sure that the cables are the same length, even if one speaker is closer to the amp than the other

Another thing to watch for is that the speakers are connected in phase i.e. the left and right speakers are moving in and out together, otherwise the speakers will be fighting against each other as one goes in while the other comes out. Out of phase speakers tend to cause a lack of bass and poor stereo imaging. Just make sure the +ve terminals of the speakers are connected to the +ve terminals of the amp

I'm not aware of any Shetland retailers who sell high quality speaker cable but it would be worth checking Bolts Electrical. If not, as Para Handy says, Maplin is a good bet. Any kind of oxygen free relatively heavy gauge speaker cable should do

• 2 weeks later...