Mary Elizabeth Edmonston, authoress

Heimdal

Having recently come across a book 'Secret in the Sand' by Mary Elizabeth Edmonston, I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find out more about her.

I have searched through genealogy info but, despite the Unst-sounding name, she does not appear anywhere either as MEE (single) or MEx (married to Edmonston).

What I have found is that she wrote (at least) three books all set in (a fictitious) Shetland,

"Adventure in the North", 1944 ..A tale of the Shetland Islands, illustrations by Daphne Fedarb (sketch drawings)

"Strangers in the Islands", 1948 ..Shetland Islands Mystery. illustrations by Daphne Fedarb

"Secret in the Sand", 195x.. A tale of the Shetland Isles. illustrations by Shirley Hughes

The books, published by Hammond, Hammond & Co , are described as suitable for ages 10 to 15 years.

Was she a Shetlander ?

Was 'Mary Elizabeth Edmonston' a nom de plume ?

Any one know any more about her ?

Thank you, Crofter and Whiskin, for that information.

Being a daughter of Henry Saxby Edmonston means that she was a niece of the renowned Jessie M E Saxby who was a prolific writer.

The genealogical info I have stops at Henry Saxby Edmonston and his siblings, so they presumably moved from Shetland.

Shetlopedia has a page about Jessie http://shetlopedia.com/Jessie_M._E._Saxby