Peerie Shop Cafe

Sparky4mm

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey shetlinkers i am the manager of the peerie shop cafe, have been for a year now, had a lot of mess to sort out when i took it on but im hoping ive got a good team with me now and trying to do our best for the customers. we won`t always get it right but if you let us know when it`s wrong we can try and fix it. Hope the food is good and the atmosphere is cheerier.

Always open to your comments. Don`t forget though it`s not just the customers who deserve respect, most of the workers are on low wages, it might look like a wee gold mine but profit margins are low on food in cafes and we only use the best we can get and local where possible.

Guest posiedon
Don`t forget though it`s not just the customers who deserve respect, most of the workers are on low wages,
Yeh that'll be right.

it might look like a wee gold mine but profit margins are low on food in cafes (sic)
Oh really? I don't think so, care to give us a breakdown?

The profit on prepared food is huge that's why the supermarkets are selling so much of it.

Have you ever worked in the catering industry?

Don`t forget though it`s not just the customers who deserve respect, most of the workers are on low wages,
Yeh that'll be right.

In my experience all but the manager will be on minimum wage

it might look like a wee gold mine but profit margins are low on food in cafes (sic)
Oh really? I don't think so, care to give us a breakdown?

The profit on prepared food is huge that's why the supermarkets are selling so much of it.

Supermarkets do it on an industrial scale. In a cafe food prepration is labour intensive.

He is right, quality food costs, because of the prep, low wage does not mean the minimum wage, check out the average national wage.

Being the constant rants about how Shetlanders allegedly rip off other Shetlanders are common here, you can see why there is no comparison with multinationals.

But, the cafe provides employment, a good thing?

Managers will not be on that much more than the staff.

And it will be against his T&C's of employment to divulge the breakdowns you require, so you know he cannot answer this.

And it will be against his T&C's of employment to divulge the breakdowns you require, so you know he cannot answer this.

However, since they clearly have it all worked out, there is nothing to stop posiedon giving us an example what they consider the breakdown to be which delivers such high wages :wink:

Whit?? :shock:

Are you suggesting that the peeries shop is selling mass-produced factory food?

or:

Mass producing food in their own factory kitchen, to sell in bulk and exploit the economies of scale?

Either way, I'll bet a de-caff latte and a slice of chocolate cake that you are wrong. :P

BTW. Welcome to the forum hearts1234, enjoy your stay, have your say and please try avoid any direct business promotion. Other folk can say you are good, but if you say you are good, we'd might have to edit it out. :wink:

The best value of all, plus being the cleanest, is the Islesburgh cafe although I guess that it is part subsidised. As a ratepayer, I am helping to subsidise it so I guess that, by eating there, I am clawing part of that subsidy back.

I have eaten at the co-op cafe and found it to be a bit grubby.

When I have been to the Peerie cafe, on both occasions the vacant tables hadn't been cleared, from the previous users, on my arrival despite my visits not being at peak times or in the tourist season. I found it somewhat unappetising to be initially surrounded by the food leftovers from a previous customer. I may just have been unlucky on both occasions. What I ate and drank there was fine, though.

I agree as you probably seen before the Peerie shop is fantastic, they do do the best coffee in town, but I'm afraid when it comes to eating, I can feed me and 2 kids for under a tenner in the New Harbour Cafe, which I'm afraid I can't do in the Peerie Shop.

In this cold weather it's a trip tae the Harbour for a bacon roll and a trip tae the Peerie Shop for coffee, before heading into work.

The harbour has to have the 3rd most boggin coffee in town, if they could solve that one...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Probably, it's good to know that it was a rank as top cafe in the place. I think that they have a little portion that can make into top. This is the cafe shop that had made a good plan business.