What did you do when you were a kid?

I grew up in Cape Breton in Canada. The summers were spent camping, working on the treehouse (it was a brilliant treehouse it was!), boating on the Bras d'Or Lake, picking all sorts of wild berries and fruits (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, Indian plums, apples, cranberries...) for my mother to make into jams and swimming in the lake.. under the water pretending to be a mermaid amongst the seaweed and oyster shells. Winters were spent ice skating and playing hockey with the boys and toboganing (sledging?) and cross-country skiing. We used to build igloos and snowforts as well.

edit: changed a swimming to boating.

^ I tried that, as all my friends were horse-people. One I was riding once got spooked by a coyote or something in the woods and bolted... saddle slipped, helmet came off (didn't clip right) and I fractured my skull when I hit the ground. :? Haven't ever been on the back of a horse since!

Guest Anonymous

When I was young I did all the things that kids don't do now, outdoor games, fishing, swimming in the sea, goin aboot da banks (although there never was any wrack wid because Ghostrider had usually been there first. :wink: ).

Now that I'm old, I do much the same as the kids these days. I sit in front of a computer or TV screen. :oops: :lol:

Oddly enough, one passion which has survived from childhood, is Jigsaw puzzles. I can still sit for hours with one of those. :D But another childhood passion was cards, and nobody seems interested in that anymore, apart from poker which is boring,, Whist or 500 were real card games.

^^^^ same here wi the hurleys. only we called them bogeys!!! I grew up just ootside glasgow and we used to run like mad things through the woods and build tree swings we also played in a pond we called the black pond and every morning when we went oot we were warned not to go near the woods or the pond. We would go oot in the morning and return when we were hungry. We were always told to go hame when the street lights came on at night but we'd hide in the bushes and trees so we didn't have to. We lived in a shipyard toon and the cooncil was always building hooses and schools so we had a ball playing on the building sites. Frequently we had to run fae the watchmen.

When we came to Shetland on holiday we made playhooses oot of the lambie hooses and played at the loch but we had to help wi the peats and the sheep. Oh how I wish I could go back.

My dad remarried this woman who had 4 kids, a farm, a swimming pool and a tennis court. Now becoming the youngest of 6, I never got to play tennis (always the ball-girl), and I found a pony in a field that everyone was bored of.....so that was it. Off I went. Never to be seen again on that pony while they all got their guitars out and hummed about Jeebers with twice daily prayer meetings. I was gone!

Made use o me imagination!

I can mind a simmer holiday i'Foula many moons ago. I wis readin 'The Hobbit', an' got da owld wife's help in tracin da maps fae da front an' back o da book (orange felt tip pen on draan book paper; I tink I still hae dem lyin in a desk draar somewy...).

Da hael o dat simmer I gied tekkin aroond lookin fir dragons. Foula maks a braaly good Middle Aert when you're dat age.