40 members have voted

1. 1. CCTV

• yes
    • no

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went with a business plan to install a wireless broadband network and one of the uses of said network was CCTV.

At the meeting we were at to get help to develop said business plan the council employee laughed at the suggestion.

Only problem was we got the idea from the council in Soho, London who used the CCTV program to setup a wireless broadband network.

And a response time of under 25 mins would help too (from alledged anecdotal evidence)

If the fire brigade can be out in 7.....?

But the civil liberties point is of course, it may be a good thing, but how far do you take it, and then what about the innocent peoples homes that become watched as a result?

Sending troublemakers up the lanes?. Yes that is a worry for me living in the lanes area. Would like to see some data from other small towns where cctv has been installed and I suspect such data would show only a small minority moved due to the cctv. Would that small minority be exactly the people to worry about?.

Have to raise one pro camera issue. Would cctv be used to stop the large number of people who drive along the street when it is meant to be for pedestrians only?. Well two issues as perhaps drivers failing to stop at the pelican crossings on the esplanade deserve to be caugh.

One topic that could be included in the cctv debate is how effective the current town centre cctv cameras are. Victoria pier and at least one shop on the street are using cameras already.

I assume by the victoria pier camera you mean the one on top of harbour house? The camera is for monitoring the harbour pilot boats and/or any other shipping around that area, it is fed back to the port control office in the Albert Building. I don't know if it's ever been used for recording evidence for any weekend antics around the pier/taxi rank though?

Guest Anonymous

I agree that problems will happen up lanes and out of the way of the cameras instead, which can be a lot more dangerouse if you are getting atttacked by a mob of neds who have followed you on the way home instead of it happening at the street.

Estimates were, for fourteen cameras, between £130,000 to £200,000, which works out at about £10,000 per camera. I'd imagine that on top of that, such a system would have fairly significant running costs.

I guess that the expense is due to the cameras having to be very good-quality ones in order to be able to pick out useful details.

Also, if it saves someone's life, then I'm sure that almost anyone would consider it money well spent.

However, I must say I was a little taken-aback by the price-tag. I wonder if there are any cheaper or better ways of improving safety & security on the street?

I heard a very strange thing on the radio a few weeks back, some bloke in England had become so annoyed at being picked-on by the "youths" who hung around outside his local corner-shop, that he invented a high-frequency audio-emitter he calls the "mosquito", which only young people can hear. They find the noise so completely irritating and unbearable that they "move along" elsewhere. "Old codgers" (ie anyone over 23 or so) can't hear the high frequencies, and are quite happy to stay in the area. It apparently really works, and he's set up in business selling the things. I am NOT suggesting that the council invests in fourteen of these devices, but this is the first time I have heard of an age-ist "pest-control" deterrent for humans. Very bizarre. I wonder what varied uses such a device could be put to? I'm sure you'll all have some very imaginative suggestions.

Estimates were, for fourteen cameras, between £130,000 to £200,000, which works out at about £10,000 per camera. I'd imagine that on top of that, such a system would have fairly significant running costs.

I dont know if wi-fi is up to this yet, so I imagine there will be quite a lot of expense invloved in wiring the things up. They would presumably need separate power, control and video signal cables, all wired back to the Police Station.