40 members have voted

1. 1. CCTV

• yes
    • no

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jest back in these fair isles after a few months away, an' catchin' up with the world accordin' tae yez all.

Have te say, I am no fan o' CCTV either an' I have had my fair share o' run ins with the ones in blue suits, but 'justlookin', that's a helluva allegation ye're makin', even fer this forum. :shock:

Any evidence te back it up, other than "my grandmother heard it from her neighbour who knew a man who heard it from his employer's dog"? :?:

Only such eejit I can remember, was booted out after he went swimmin' in the scud an' outragin' those sensitive souls in Scalloway!

Even if I don't agree with some of my peers here, I at least respect their abilities te put forward arguments based on fact and figures, rather than a sweepin' statement (so far) without substance, such as this one.

Rebuttal, please? (Gowaan! I love a good argie-bargey, me!) :wink:

Well actually i do have some information with regard to a current situation at the Lerwick police station. Two officers have recently been suspended due to being caught-out using cocaine. I know the names of these officers and can confirm it is true. One has been given the option of demotion and he can stay at his current station or move and retain his current rank.

Why has there not been any official report of this.

abraxas i pity you. your ignorance will soon come back to kick you in the teeth. and it won't be by a young hooded youth. it will be those who you look to for protection. the state. the corrupt abortion we call a government.

We are heading towards complete globalization, our rights are being urinated away and the middle classes will be wiped out. If you haven't seen it already, its pointless me saying this.

Well actually i do have some information with regard to a current situation at the Lerwick police station. Two officers have recently been suspended due to being caught-out using cocaine. I know the names of these officers and can confirm it is true. One has been given the option of demotion and he can stay at his current station or move and retain his current rank.

abraxas i pity you. your ignorance will soon come back to kick you in the teeth. and it won't be by a young hooded youth. it will be those who you look to for protection. the state. the corrupt abortion we call a government.

We are heading towards complete globalization, our rights are being urinated away and the middle classes will be wiped out. If you haven't seen it already, its pointless me saying this.

You have a very skewed veiw of the world don't you? I'd like to give you a hug.

You have a very skewed veiw of the world don't you? I'd like to give you a hug.

What part of my view of the wold is skewed? And yes, a hug would be good.

^^^

Justlookin, I don't think your view of the world is skewed one little bit - frankly, what "our" government is doing scares me shirtless. Quite apart from the obscene infestation of the UK with snooping CCTV (allegedly to "make us safer", never mind the proven fact that it does no such thing), through the grossly intrusive National Identity Database, to their stream of petty, completely unthought-out rubbish laws designed to pander to the Daily Mail's most paranoid and fearful readers. I heard someone on the radio not long ago claiming that this government (i.e. NuLab x 3 since 1997) had introduced more laws than the total there were when they came into power. Does anyone feel any safer as a result of this legislative diarrhoea? Well, with violent crime on the increase, perhaps you shouldn't - especially as most of these laws seem to be aimed at things which no rational person would consider criminal anyhow.

As a trifling example, consider their latest plans to "protect children" by banning cartoons representing what might be taken to be children. Dear God! No-one in their right mind would oppose protecting children, but to extend that to banning cartoons? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

For a passing fair sample of similarly "skewed" views of the world, check out the comments on that very story as it appeared in The Register today. I post there myself (though not on this story), and I can promise you from a number of similar stories that the majority of my fellows there feel exactly the same about the rate at which our "free" country (hollow laugh) is being stuffed.

Yeah, hugs are always nice. But the way things are going, don't do it in public, or some warped minded creature from the pit ... sorry, politician ... will probably decide that you're corrupting the children and bang you up. Pop over to khitajrah's "Random Acts of Kindness" thread instead, it's probably safer. Apart from their plans to stitch up the internet, of course ...

I really, really wish that "my" country didn't force me to feel this way about it. But it does.

Stay skewed. You know it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the start of the cctv?

Whits all yun big black, bigger then lampost things appearing along the street?

There is one opposite the thule, one by the small dock harbour slip and one near the fort.

Any ideas?

I think they are but I certainly do not remember seeing a planning application to erect such things in a conservation area.

Dont let the council see this then

Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV

A teenage pupil has been withdrawn from her school after CCTV cameras were installed in the pupils' toilets.

Anthony White, from Llandysul told a newspaper that the cameras at Ysgol Dyffryn Teifi in Ceredigion were an "outrageous invasion" of privacy.

He said his 14-year-old daughter said she would not return to school while the cameras were still there.

But Ceredigion Council said it had installed the cameras after incidents of "major concern" were reported.

Mr White told the Carmarthen Journal that he had taken his daughter out of the school over the cameras.

"I think its an invasion of her privacy," he told the paper.

"The whole place is like they're on Big Brother. There are cameras all around the school, outside and in the corridors."

Cleaning staff

Ceredigion Council, which is the school's local education authority (LEA), issued a statement saying the CCTV footage in the school's toilet was only examined if an incident was reported.

"The LEA understands the equipment to have been installed owing to pupils and cleaning staff reporting incidents that were of major concern to them," the statement said.

"However, it is further understood that the CCTV footage is only examined should an incident be reported either by pupils or the cleaning staff.

"Any such viewing of CCTV footage is undertaken by senior members of staff having Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) clearance. "

'Appropriate action'

The council said no other schools in Ceredigion are using CCTV in toilet areas used by pupils.

"The Ceredigion LEA draws attention to the fact that pupil surveys undertaken throughout the country continually show situations that arise in school toilet areas are one of the main concerns expressed by pupils," the statement continued.

"Schools are, of course, required to consider the views and concerns of their pupils and take appropriate action.

"In this instance, the Ceredigion LEA concludes that Ysgol Dyffryn Teifi considered the concerns expressed by its pupils and acted accordingly.

"The Ceredigion LEA further understands that the school's actions have already shown significant improvements."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Who needs peeping toms :?:

They seem to be getting very high tech all of a sudden and after all the fuss about mobile phones in sensitive places

hi

we had cctv in our school toilets and that was 10 years ago. it was for many reasons:

to stop pupils smoking in the toilets

to stop pupils skiving there

and if there was any fights it would catch this

i cant see what the problem is. in our school the camera was in a small box in the corner of the toilets. there must have been about 20 toilets and the camera looked down the waiting area so its no big deal and

I for once am singing from the same songsheet as PH. School toilets?! CCTV?! It's just not on. Perhaps public toilets in general, and school toilets in particular, shouldn't be quite so open, rather than choosing the cheapest option. I hated going to the toilets at school, but do you think I would have felt more comfortable had CCTV been in place!!!!???? This is why people have IBS, piles, etc., in later life. :evil: