CCTV

oor_wullie

CCTV  

40 members have voted

1. 1. CCTV

• yes
    • no

The ones we have here in monstrously excessive quantity are quite substantial things. They're square at the bottom, then circular pipe above that, the circular bit being noticeably bigger and stronger than road sign posts. If they look anything like that, it sounds like you've got 'em.

If so, you may also find that when the cameras are installed, they'll add an umbrella-shaped fence of downward pointing spikes to prevent anyone from climbing up and compromising their surveillance of the population.

Yes, they're ugly and intrusive. But you just try getting rid of them. Oh, and Skunnered ... "Targets for air-guns"? No, they're built to resist bigger and better weaponry than that.

Interesting to note that "the main planning issue ... is visual amenity". Much easier for "responsible spokesmen" to blather on about that than have to address all those disturbing questions about why the state wants its long nose sticking into everybody's innocent business.

With any luck, we plebs will then forget all that embarrassing research which shows that improving the street lighting gives a much greater reduction in street crime than CCTV and at a fraction of the price. Or that shows that CCTV makes little, if any, overall difference to crime. Or ...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be a weekly highlights show, featuring the best of the weeks activities on the street. :D

From what I witness with my own eyes during daylight and earlier hours of the evening, I can only imagine what goes on in the middle of the night. I would imagine that much of it would make great comedy, watching the incapable and inebriated stumbling around town, trying to figure out where they are and where they are going!

Maybe a live feed on the net? :shock:

^^ Can the public really handle any more live feeds of the antics on the street than the Tourist Office webcam at the Cross though. Seeing what goes on on that little bit sometimes is enough in well under 5 minutes to have you either paralytic with laughing or in the darkest depths of despair, a few more of the same and we'd all OD. :lol:

Yep, the interior of the Tourist Office is riveting. :) Oh, there's Malcolm shuffling his papers. Mind you, not sure I'd be keen on being filmed at work all day. Unless there was a lot of money involved. ;)

Daay Woon at the Big Broother Tourist Office:

It's loonchtime Oop-Helly-Aa day at the Big Broother Tourist Office and there are lots of people millin aboot. Malcolm has been busy with tourists and is now takin a break and is chattin with his local councillor who is drinkin a takeway coffe whilst leanin on the desk. Near the door is a local solicitor who is standin aboot also drinkin takeaway coffee and moonchin on soomethin tasty or other.

Daay Sixteeen at the Market Cross:

The light's on at the Market Cross but there's no-one at hoome. Ee bah goom, it's rainin an here, oop in the north, it's dry. Ooh, someone circumnavigating the Market Cross with an oombrella. An oombrella, I ask ya, in Shetland. Ooh, a black'n'white dog..

I think there should be a Diary Room in the Big Broother Tourist Office. Inmates and tourists could go in and be interrogated for the amusement of viewers. Tasks, there should be daily tasks of course in the Big Broother Tourist Office, suggested by online viewers. Viewers could vote to keep in members of staff in the Big Broother Tourist Office or particularly interesting locals or tourists. The webcams systems are going to be enhanced it says. As well as putting a webcam on top of the Toon Hall they are also going to put one inside. The Toon Hall Mates are going to be given tasks to perform and then online viewers get the chance to vote em oot. ;)

I think there should be a weekly highlights show, featuring the best of the weeks activities on the street. :D

How about a spot the Turd compatation or see who can P up the lane the farthest, the girls could join in as well, the winners could win a burger or a southern fried chicken bun. Or who got the biggest fine something like that. And who would be Shetlands equivalent to Jeremy Beadle? The Show could be called

Njugles About

Game for a Smirk

You've Been Framed

50 Most Shocking Shetland Comedy Moments

I could not think of a Shetland term for Framed off hand

Justlookin,

My dear fellow, I fear some rapscallion has purposely misled you, or has been pulling your leg. That is the only viable explanation for your (somewhat boggling) post, as I can assure you that no such thing has occurred as you have alleged. If you still feel you are in the right with regards my fellows, please feel free to PM me, that we may hold discourse on this.

I remain, as ever, your humble servant,

Sherlock.

Guest Anonymous

Yes I have seen the black poles in town , first impression was that they have a sinister look about them and it all feels a bit 1984 .....

Also it seems that the beatings that took place on the street by groups of thugs against usually 1 victim have petered out now , probably they have all gone there seperate ways now which always happens with teenage gangs .

The polis will know what and who im talkin aboot . well I would hope they would.......

^^

Yes I know they do .. and you're right the recent lot seemed to have dispersed, I did hear that latterly they had picked on the wrong victim, and all got their "just deserts" 1 against 3 would normally be a forgone conclusion but if the 1 is a street fighter .....

• 2 weeks later...