Train Enthusiasts?

I derive more pleasure from the kids' wooden Thomas the Tank Engine train set than they do - does that count? :D

I do have a fondness for trains, having grown up in a Canadian village that was only there because of the train route. They plonked a railway station in the middle of the woods and that's where I had my first summer job as a teenager - tour guide for train enthusiasts in the old Intercolonial Railway Station.

I'm not an enthusiast myself, but I did see a poster up in Sandwick yesterday for a night of train films in the Hoswick visitor centre sometime soon. They had several films showing about various train routes worldwide, so I guess there must be some enthusiasts here in the southend.

Yes but........confess that I love steam and believe that Gods Wonderful Railway was the best in the world. That said I do like train travel and expect to clock up a couple of thousand miles on our various rail companies services later this year.

Never got beyond an 0 gauge clockwork train as a kid and regret that my modelling skills are sad.......or worse.

Favourite story about train travel comes from my commuting days when in theory I would catch the 18.46 from Charing Cross but that was one of those trains that got cancelled rather frequently so I ended up travelling on the 19.12 instead. Used to pop into a pub under the station for a pint and a steak roll while I was waiting and got so fond of so doing that I used to curse when the 18.46 actually ran.

My partner and I used to live in Keighley West Yorkshire where the Railway children was filmed, we enjoyed many a trip up and down that line (Both steam and diesel). We also went on many of the full day trips, Glasgow - Yorkshire and Glasgow - Fort William by steam train. :D