SPL split

Marooned in Maywick

@ db Whoa whoa whoa! (That's english for "Stop a horse!") Why have you started having a go at me here? Am I wrong in using the term "Old Firm"? I wasn't aware that it no longer referred to Celtic and Rangers. Can you tell me why this is outdated?

I'm not going to get into an arguement over who has the biggest support here, it's not really relevant. I believe that Rangers do have a relatively large worldwide support, although it's certainly not as big as Celtic's.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the comment by nederlander about competing on a financial basis, there is a reason the EPL get vast amounts more money for television rights than the SPL, because more people want to watch it

Exactly, so if Celtic and Rangers were to move to England and become part of the PL then they would get the same money and would be able to compete comfortably, at least financially.

your comment about the worldwide fanbase is rather ridiculous considering the biggest markets are now unarguably in asia and i don't recall scottish football being too popular out there!

It's not ridiculous at all. I think you will find that Celtic are one of the most widely supported football clubs in world football, this includes Asia, particularly in Japan due to the club having Nakamura playing.

:)

Historically the split idea was all about maintaining Old Firm dominance of the SPL so it's difficult to have sympathy when one team clearly gets shafted by the fixture makers.

The reason for the split was it was the only way to incorporate a twelve team league... and supposedly expanding to twelve teams was a way of getting the SFL clubs to agree to the SPL when they wanted to break away.

Don't think we can pin the blame for that on the Old Firm.

Pat Nevin went into the historical details of how the split concept came about on the radio last night, it was insisted on by the Old Firm. There was agreement from all the teams on a larger league but Rangers and Celtic got it thrown out because they felt the quantity of games would effect their european performances.

Pat Nevin went into the historical details of how the split concept came about on the radio last night, it was insisted on by the Old Firm. There was agreement from all the teams on a larger league but Rangers and Celtic got it thrown out because they felt the quantity of games would effect their european performances.

Ah right, sorry. Were the other teams wanting fourty-four games (i.e. playing each team four times)?

I think they should have an eighteen team league with two up, two down, a playoff between third bottom and third top of the first, and a playoff for the last UEFA spot between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Not going to happen though.

I actually don't mind the split. I'd far rather have it than go back to ten teams.

ok nederlander answer me this. If as you claim celtic and rangers have more worldwide support than all apart from maybe two english teams, why do tv companies pay huge amounts of money to show the EPL and, in comparison, peanuts to show the SPL, when there are so many fans worldwide who would pay to watch celtic and rangers?

^ When did I say they had more worldwide support than all but two EPL teams? The difference lies in the strength and depth in the EPL, there are a larger number of strong teams in England than Scotland and the quality of football played in the league is higher. Like most football fans I would rather tune in to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal or Man Utd vs Newcastle than I would Hearts vs Aberdeen or Motherwell vs St Mirren, this is purely because the EPL game will be much more entertaining, not because I have any affection for any of these teams.

I'm not saying that the SPL could even nearly bring in the veiwing figures the EPL could, and I am at a loss as to how you came to this baffling conclusion.

When Sky had the rights they could monitor viewing figures accurately and stated that the Old Firm game attracted more viewers than any Premiership game. The problem they had was outside the Old Firm game viewing figures were very poor. After Sky had their £40m package turned down by the SPL, Sky withdrew their offer and made it an Old Firm game only package or nothing at all. The problem the English Premiership sides have with the Old Firm is that they know to allow them into their league would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. Only Manchester United and Arsenal have more supporters at each home games. Considering they have the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool etc to look forward to, this is only understandable. For the likes of Celtic to have 60,000 regularly watching the likes of St Mirren, Falkirk, Hamilton etc states everything about the size their fan base.

No wonder you are "Marooned in Maywick" - No doubt you cannot get out of your house for that massive chip on your shoulder. Watch out the paranoid police are out disguised in white coates.

Now...would you care to address any of the points I've made?

No!! I think I have made my point. You are so bitter against the old firm that no matter what is stated you will find some flaw. Its not only Hearts who are unhappy with the fixtures you know.

So, instead of debating the point...you attack the person making it.

That's an...ermmmm...interesting style of debate.

So, kirsty...are you happy with the split?

nederlander you said " there are only maybe 2 teams in England with a bigger worldwide fanbase than either of the Old Firm"

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against Scottish football, being a Liverpool fan i have an affection for Celtic, it just annoys me that many people think Rangers and Celtic would be able to compete at the top of the Premiership when there is a very big gulf of class between the big English teams and the Old firm and in reality they would struggle to avoid relegation.

Also the presumption many people have that they are wanted in the EPL.

Debate?? How can anyone have a rational debate with someone who has already made up his mind and doesn't listen. The split has pissed off fans of other teams you know. Celtic fans are not at all happy that Hearts are not playing Rangers at home. Dundee Utd are not happy with their lot...... but its all about poor Hearts who are "always being got at" What about Rangers last season being forced to play 4 games in 7 days. That probably cost them the league to Celtic.

Perhaps, kirsty, you could do me the courtesy of actually reading my posts, rather than going off an 'Oh, it's Marooned in Maywick - it must be all about Hearts' rant.

Please, just try it and you won't look quite so silly.

I mentioned Hearts in the original post as an example of how the split has affected one particular team - not surprisingly the team I am most familiar with.

I mentioned them once again in a little jibe at the BBC who appeared to have forgotten that we had played (and won - remember that one Joesg?) a Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road this season.

For you to claim that it's 'all about Hearts' shows either an unwillingness to read my posts, or an inability to read and/or understand them.

If, as you claim, other teams have grievances about the split system surely that's a topic worthy of debate - I can't help it that you refuse to.

@ db Whoa whoa whoa! (That's english for "Stop a horse!") Why have you started having a go at me here? Am I wrong in using the term "Old Firm"? I wasn't aware that it no longer referred to Celtic and Rangers. Can you tell me why this is outdated?

I'm not going to get into an arguement over who has the biggest support here, it's not really relevant. I believe that Rangers do have a relatively large worldwide support, although it's certainly not as big as Celtic's.

Sorry ned, wisna trying tae be (too) personal. My gripe is with folk who continually seek to tar Celtic with the same brush as Rangers. I find it's usually done through ignorance, laziness or by those with an agenda.

Trust me, speak to Celtic fans pre and post match after any game and the vast majority would love to have nothing to do with Rangers or their odious fans. Most Celtic fans I've met don't even use the term "Old Firm", which is my basis for believing it's now out-of-date.

I've just shown you an article by a former Rangers director who states that the "Rangers worldwide fanbase" is a myth. Unfortunately I can't force you to believe him.

I believe him.

Splodger - I don't know where to start with you. Why not just Celtic into the SPL..?? Do you honestly believe that, given equal access to the money circulating around the EPL, Celtic would find it impossible to compete..?? Do I need to remind you of our record against the best teams in Europe since 2000..??

Struggle to avoid relegation...??? I can't make my mind up whether it's arrogance or ignorance you're suffering from.

If Rangers and Celtic do get into the EPL I think they would certainly be able to compete.

Not to win the thing but maybe mid table.

More money to spend on better players.

Playing in a better league will attract better players.

At the moment they struggle to attrct players due to the poorer league.

The premiership is the best league in the world at the moment put Rangers and Celtic in there with there fan base and more money (which they would get from playing in the EPL) and I'am positive they would do OK.

Although money and fans mean nothing in football terms look at Newcastle?

But I think the Old firm would hold there own especially home games.

If Rangers and Celtic do get into the EPL I think they would certainly be able to compete.

Not to win the thing but maybe mid table.

More money to spend on better players.

Playing in a better league will attract better players.

At the moment they struggle to attrct players due to the poorer league.

The premiership is the best league in the world at the moment put Rangers and Celtic in there with there fan base and more money (which they would get from playing in the EPL) and I'am positive they would do OK.

Although money and fans mean nothing in football terms look at Newcastle?

But I think the Old firm would hold there own especially home games.

Well said Marshall.