SPL split

Marooned in Maywick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nederlander you said " there are only maybe 2 teams in England with a bigger worldwide fanbase than either of the Old Firm"

Indeed I did, my apologies. I don't think that we would compete at the top of the EPL, not initially, although given a few years I see no reason why we should not be there or there-abouts.

Db, I'm sorry, I know we've had this discussion before, but I totally and utterly disagree with your views on the Old Firm tag.

db please do remind me of celtics success in the Champions League, because due to my ignorance no doubt, they usually, if not always, crash out at the first hurdle.

No doubt it is indeed your ignorance. In the past 3 years Celtic have gone to the 2nd round of the competition twice, in 06-07 we were knocked out by the eventual winners Milan in extra time, in 07-08 goin out to eventual semi finalists Barcelona. Not too bad for a team coming from a league so lacking in quality is it?

Back to the original topic, sheer ludicrousy of the split is summed up by the fact that the team in 7th could win all their games, have more points than a number of clubs above them and still finish below them, they are easier games of course, but it is still a joke.

Last year Rangers had 3 games in one week due to SPL, Scottish cup and Europe commitments and they moaned that it wasn't fair. At the end of the day the players are getting payed a fortune to be fit for games and it is not too much to ask for them to play more than once a week.

It's a reasonable point that travelling support may not make away games on a Thursday but realistically they only have to travel around Edinburgh for a derby.....well most of them.

wha wha wha...moanin minnies - Ha ha ha (cos we're doing better on derby points) and Moanin Minnies - stop moanin aboot it - at least it gives a good excuse for losing..... only joking.

^^^

Fans may not be able to make it to the game due to work or the distance they have to travel, for one.

If it was on a Saturday they might not make it 'cos they've got to go shopping with the wife. :wink:

If I still stayed in Edinburgh, I would have gone to it on a Thursday night but probably not on a Saturday.

I used to love going to Tynecastle for mid-week games.

Ha ha ha (cos we're doing better on derby points)

I take it you're referring to this season only as history will tell you that, for league games, Hearts record is

P 249

W 108

D 76

L 65

F 406

A 314

So, if Hibs win every league game for the next 10 seasons...they will still have an inferior record. If you want one crumb of comfort...we've never beaten Hibs on a Thursday... W 0 D 5 L 6

Go on...please tell me you want me to post the Scottish Cup records as well :lol:

And Frankie...when I was in Edinburgh I liked going to Tynecastle any day of the week...but especially Saturday.

^^

What I'm saying is I don't think it will affect the attendance figures much because there are positives and negatives about every day of the week for being able to go to a football match.

It will be interesting to see what the crowd figures are compared to the Saturday derby games.

Surely Hearts have no fear in going to Ibrox? Are the Hearts fans expecting to lose? 2-2 I believe was the last result there between the teams.

As for having to play Hibs on a Thursday, I agree that it is total rubbish and the organisers need their heads examined.

The split as whole is just plain stupid. Increase the league to 18 teams and play each other twice just like the good old days. Oh no, hold on, can't have clubs halving their income from the fans of two clubs that they despise can we?

Surely Hearts have no fear in going to Ibrox? Are the Hearts fans expecting to lose? 2-2 I believe was the last result there between the teams.

Fear? No.

Just a sense of unfairness in having to travel to Scotland's second city an extra time.

As for having to play Hibs on a Thursday, I agree that it is total rubbish and the organisers need their heads examined.

Do you think it would ever happen to the Old Firm?

The split as whole is just plain stupid. Increase the league to 18 teams and play each other twice just like the good old days. Oh no, hold on, can't have clubs halving their income from the fans of two clubs that they despise can we?

And halving the policing and stewarding costs. Halving the clean-up costs outwith the stadium environment. And having more home fans at the games because it would be more of an event (this is in reference to the diddier clubs - not Hearts). And more home fans attending because they'd only have to put up with the sectarian and terrorist-supporting bile twice a season rather than 4 times (or 3 if the SPL decide to send you back to the Weege).

10 teams, 36 games and play-offs for up/down.

18 teams, 34 games and play-offs for up/down.

Seems jaw-droppingly straightforward, but as I say, there's too many diddy clubs who won't see the bigger picture.

Agree with you, M in M, about a lot of the lesser clubs not looking at the bigger picture and the points you made regarding other costs are valid. However, can't say I agree with your sweeping description of the supporters of the two clubs you despise.

Probably the SP hell folk would not have Rangers and Cellik play on a Thursday night as it would be earmarked by the TV folk and that that is where a lot of the power lies. Truth is, TV companies don't care much about the Edinburgh derby and therein lies a problem with regard to income if the 'big two' were to leave the current set-up. Point of interest, Old firm league matches have been played in the past in midweek when under the control of the Scottish League.

Stan - that's once you've stated I 'despise' the Old Firm clubs and once you've used the same term with respect to fans of non-Old Firm clubs. I'd rather you didn't attribute such comments and feelings to me - I'm quite capable of doing so myself. If that's your interpretation of my comments...well, that's not my problem. Also, regarding the income from TV companies - remind us where the overwhelming majority of the cash goes...

Regarding the Thursday night derby game - it was shifted so that it could be televised by Setanta. Kinda blows your 'TV companies don't care much about the Edinburgh derby' theory out of the water, I'd say. I think the social problems relating to any Old Firm fixture ensure that it's date must be known about as far in advance as possible - for crying out loud there was one fixture announced by the SPL before the first phase of the season was finished. No prizes for guessing which one.

And kirsty. Oh, dear. Is that really the most damning evidence you can find? Seriously...give up.

It just doesn't feel right engaging in a battle of wits with a obviously unarmed opponent.