Criminal Justice System

shetlandman1982

Whilst on an emotive level I am inclined to agree, the shetlaing ToS must be bourne in mind and sadly in this day and age the righs of the criminal ofeten exceeed those of the victim.

That, however, is the crux of the matter for me.

Any criminal act of any kind should, indeed logically has to, invoke the complete withdrawl of any humane rights such individuals had.

Yis.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a paradox. We can either decide as a society to allow everyone basic human rights, that are impeachable no matter what or that no-one gets them.

The whole idea of human rights isn't that they are earned, or potentially lost, it's that everyone has them just by being human. It's completely a societal construct and there is no intrinsic moral basis to them, but I think we are far better of for having them. It completely nullifies the whole idea to suggest some people should be stripped of them, no matter what they've done.

Freedom is a basic human right so he should not be locked up if he robs or attacks other folk. :?:

Is it not a basic human right to go about your daily life without hinderance from a toerag like this or are human rights only there to protect the guilty :?:

get real if he cannot function in society without robbing from others without attacking the innocent then he should be removed from that society, and this particular scumbag has proven time and time again he is unwilling to be a usefull member of society, that he is unwilling to let others live their lives in peace, lock him up whether it is a prison or a secure hospital but put him somewhere he can't make others lives a misery.

Freedom is a limited right, and obviously most criminals get that taken away from them for a time as punishment for their crime.

There is a lot of confusion about what human rights are here. And there's a difference between absolute and limited rights.

In the UK, human rights are the right to life, to not be tortured or enslaved, to not be punished without law and to receive a fair trial, the right to education, freedom of expression etc

I don't see anywhere where i've said those who commit crimes shouldn't be locked up... I just don't think people should rescind any human rights if they commit a crime, there is no need to torture or kill or do anything else to a criminal...

There are a few examples of prison life that nearly all human rights were removed here in the UK.

Try reading stuff that was written about the Maze Prison, or the way women were treated at Holloway.

If you want a graphic picture, try watching Hunger directed by Steve McQueen.

It did not help the rehabilitation, it alienated us from other countries, and the Yanks got very upset..

Funny how now we are upset about the way the yanks are now treating folk in Cuba without trial...

But with the attitudes of the day, the lack of willingness for folk to become part of it, and show support, it will always fail.

There will be some that will be hell bent on trouble, a very very small minority....

It would be like me saying anyone who is caught exceeding the speed limit should have there licence removed permanently, car crushed and have to, for the rest of their lives be victimised for it.

Folk are whining about speed cameras already, how dare they try to catch us...that is another subject....

But driving too fast is punnished by small fines, an action that could kill a whole load of kids walking to school, but rob ten pounds from a purse could land you in klink...

You could show folks the rod at every occassion, remember though, these folk will again mingle with your kin folk.

How do you think they would be? Pleasant or a bit angry..

And any mental illness may have been deepened to a state where it could be undetectable, remember, the prison population would increase drastically under your proposals of lock em all up, do you think there will be adequate staffing levels to deal with folk in a 1 2 1 basis, to rehabilitate.

You then would have to deal with those from the Howard League

http://www.howardleague.org/

http://www.howardleaguescotland.org.uk/

There are many folk that would need to be convinced of your ways, and you would also need to show case studies, but you cannot, cos you would have to mistreat folk to get the results.....

Eventually, the state would then rule with an iron fist, no mercy, oh, you would have to be so good.

But it would have to be the state, in this country we have not quite got the hang of civilians, punnishing other civilians, has always been the courts, police or governments.

Take wheel clamping, big no no now, done maily by privete companies.

• 3 weeks later...

The system is not appearing to work because it is not the system you think it is. It’s a Legal system (Commercial Law i.e. Statutes), not a Lawful system (Common Law). The reason "you know who" got off with community service was because he has a Society with a name and the court cannot impose their "Law Society" rules on another (illuminated) Society without his consent.

The fact he is a high figure within the Society the Sheriff and him are part of, was just a case of coincidence.

• 1 month later...

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2009/September/news/Court%20reports%20–%2024%20September%202009.htm

Man resorted to racial language: A LERWICK man was fined £600 at the town’s sheriff court yesterday (Wednesday) after admitting a racially aggravated breach of the peace at Sandveien, earlier this month.

Basically he verbally assaulted someone and gets fined £600 after spending time in jail.

Yet...

A man pleaded guilty to repeatedly strike his partner’s head on a kitchen cupboard in a domestic argument on in the early hours of 14 July this year. He also admitted seizing her by the throat and compressing it to her injury.

He physically assaults someone gets his sentence deferred for 6 months for good behaviour.

Does this belong in the WTF?? thread? This has really wound me up today. Domestic violence is a lesser crime than name calling???? :evil: Honestly, unless a man nearly kills you then there is no point in calling the police for domestic violence because nothing will come of it. What is wrong with this picture??

Couldn't agree any more,

What a rediculous outcome, the Racist man in question was described as 'a violent man', so perhaps this is why his sentence outweighed the other.

But there is absolutely no excuse for other man who assaulted the woman to be let off like that. Pathetic justice system in this currupt country strikes again.

If she had just said that he said somthing racist to her at the same time then he would have probally been punished serverly especially if she was not white or from the UK.

The guy described as a 'violent man' did not assualt the person he was argueing with so no idea how him being like that affected his outcome if he actually used no violence.

I agree totally my bug bear with the Sheriff here is lack of continuity,

In my opinion the domestic violence on this occasion way and above exceeds that of the verbal racial rant who was fined more because he has a cloudy history shall we say !

But it is not only matters like this take driving the 23 year old received a 6 month ban and I think a fine whilst 1 month ago a 17 yr old doing 5 mph less who had been passed his test 5 weeks was instructed to do a pass plus course ! whilst im not condoning the speeding in any way would it not be reasonable to have expected that to be the other way round, I know if I was the 23 yr old guy I would be appealing it !

Or what about the Polish gent who pulled a knife whilst being arrested or the homeless pedo who does have a brother here but does not know where as they dont get on ! "its ok be good boys" if it had been a local they would a been locked up !

Nah all you can say to this is the entire system is failing quickly.