Pig flu and Shetland

paulb

WHO have reliably informed me that the bogey that shot out of my nose last night (see thread a couple up) was, in fact, a snotter trotter.

The fact that I have been snorting up my food is, I'm (un)reliably informed, also another early symptom, as is the fact I grunt (and not just when playing tennis).

Oh my God, I'm doomed! Am I still safe to move to Shetland or will the alcohol I consume on the north boat kill the lurgy?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your all welcome but please bring your own tin foil.

unlink as you have not enjoyed the pleasure of a northlink crossing yet i would wait on the booze until its flat calm. That's if the ferries are still running. they can get a bit wobbly even during the summer. I hear you can get cheap holidays to cancum any takers.

breath easy your all safe

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2009/04/27/health-chief-offers-re-assurance-over-flu-outbreak/

Hahahaha Twerto classic picture.

But you might all mock and think okay we are safe in shetland, BUT only on friday was i talking a person in the medical proffession in shetland who has just retirened from a holiday in Mexico, now thats close to home isnt it?

Not in the slightest bit bothered. I was talking to a friend that had been doing research and there is only a 5% mortality rate. Given that it is in Mexico and it likely (as with all diseases of this type) that the people that have died of it are most likely in the infancy/elderly/medically vulnerable category.

The people who are over here that have it AFAIA only have mild symptoms and are being quarrantined.

I'm just watching the media completely overreact on this one as with SARS & Avian Flu.

Given that it is in Mexico and it likely (as with all diseases of this type) that the people that have died of it are most likely in the infancy/elderly/medically vulnerable category.

Not that I'm one to be taken in by the hype surrounding this story, I believe (from what I've read so far) that the majority of people being stricken by this particular strain of flu are in the 20-40 age group.

Not that I'm one to be taken in by the hype surrounding this story, I believe (from what I've read so far) that the majority of people being stricken by this particular strain of flu are in the 20-40 age group.

I knew that eventually there would be some advantage in being an auld beggar. :wink:

Those wimpy 20 somethings typical get a little sniffle and they pop there clogs.

The goverment in some planning meeting guessed that upto 3/4 of a million could die if a simular bug to that of 1918 happens. Now if it was like the bug in 1968/9 that just killed 30000 extra not to many more than a very bad flu year.

The goverment are therefore working on a 1 in every 80 people not being very mobile after there worst case plan.

The age range is what is getting the medical folks nervous 20-40 should be the healthiest and strongest age range. It would be better if it followed the old and young route as they understand it better.

There were quite a lot of nasty flu cases over the winter. these were in a lot of the case were sent south.

im concerned that the big wigs are boasting about how prepared we are. if they are as prepared as they are when they go to war then expect a couple of asprin and a pat on the head.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dcr0697l.jpg

^^^ I figure I'd better start buying star aniise as the may be a slight shortage for a while if this hysteria continues.

OMG! there is going to be a star anaise shortage! Buy now while stocks last!!!

You can laugh, every time there's a flu scare the drug companies go and buy any they can get their hands on. Some things just don't taste right without it.

The age range is what is getting the medical folks nervous 20-40 should be the healthiest and strongest age range. It would be better if it followed the old and young route as they understand it better.

Back in the day before panic and insanity took over, and folk relied on simple common sense and logical thought, that would have been taken as a sign that the current outbreak was of a strain with at least some material makup in common the 1969 one. Hence a significant proportion of the over 40's have previously had exposure to a somewhat related strain, and have an enhanced level of resistance to this one as a result. The under 20's faring better than their immediate elders however is the anomoly that doesn't fit, and its impossible to say whether that blows the whole theory out of the water, or is simply because under 20's have been exposed to something that have enhanced their body's natural defences, that their elders haven't.