Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Have been reading the latest posts with some interest. Don't eat out nearly as much as we used to but having tried Gurka Kitchen last month we were unimpressed in terms of service and the quality of food.

On another issue, it is quite simply not possible to have a price for the locals and another for the holidaymakers!?

Sometimees better to eat at home me thinks where quality control issues are easily resolved and u can have a glass of wine without worrying about who is driving, PT

Was impressed by Flames' opening night when on a blustery wet evening, and things were slow, they sent complimentary pizzas to some of the pubs. We were in the Marlex and enjoyed a couple of slices. They were so good we decided we had to try more.

Last night we were pushed for time to cook before the lounge quiz so headed to Flames. I had the Lamb Kebab and the Mrs had the Chicken Jalfrezi.

Three words: Aaaa-Maaaaa-Zing!!!

Hope Akhee can get some decent donner kebab action going a la Glasgow stylee, then it really will be like a home from home.

Well done that man, and the reports of his great coffee should not be underestimated.

"I'll be back...."

Was there on Saturday night. The food is absolutley first class, i had spicy chicken wings for a starter, could have been spicier but i suppose they must cater for all tastes, i'll ask them to spice them up next time. Had the lamb burger for a main, bloody superb, i also tried my friends pizzas which was ham and pineapple, not to adventurous but it was brilliant. I also had the spicy lamb pizza the week before whcih was great to, far better than pizza hut etc.

On a negative note, our starters came out at different times and we had to wait nearly an hour for our main(didn't seem to be to busy) plus they hadn't noted my lamb burger so i had to wait extra for that. Credit to the owner, he came and apologised and offered us complimentary coffes and juice for the kids, he says he is still having to train up staff, seemed a very genuine chap and the lamb burger was worth the wait.

All in all, if they can get the service to match the food they are putting out then Lerwick will have an absolute gem of a place to go and get fat in:) :cry:

Well done Flames :thmbsup

My sister and I went to flames today at 1pm for a spot of lunch. We had our 4 kids with us 3 of which required high chairs but there only 2 on the premises. The premises are nice warm and spacious with plenty of comfortable seating available for over 2's. The service was friendly but slow although it was 1pm! They need a separate area for ordering takeaway as the queue was ridiculous at 1 point. The prices I feel are a bit on the steep side for a cafe, £4.00 for a burger and chips, and £7.00 for a plate of pasta with no side salad! The bottles of juice are £1.90 and £1.50 for a can and these prices should be on display. The food quality is excellent, the wee ones shared pizza which we all had a bite of and it was delicious and the burger had a lovely flame grilled taste to it. The toilets are good too but a changing area for babies needs to be installed, i dragged a chair into the disabled toilet which was a good substitute but there was no bin so Nappies went back in the handbag :0( All in all a good selection of good quality food, service was friendly and not too slow considering

How busy it was.

Not tryin to be picky but £4 for burger and chips, what do you expect to pay?

That seems quite reasonable to me! I would say that £7 for a plate of pasta is excessive and the drink cost seems high too!

Maybe he could put the price of burger and chips up and take the drink price down!

Cheers :wink:

It was just that it was a plain burger and a small handful of chips which my 8 year old could eat, and not really an adult portion, you wud get that for £2.50 in a tesco cafe or macdonalds/ burger king thats what im comparing it to, and with no salad on the side etc, the chips and burger were equally tasty though no question.

We were at Flames tonight, my 8 year old son had a burger and chips and we declined the cheese and salad that was included in the price - so it was £4.00 for burger and chips - the burger was huge and a massive portion of chips - there is no way my son could have eaten it. Maybe when they get themselves sorted they will maybe offer kids portions for smaller children. Or some sort of happy meal for kids!

We also had a curry which was superb and the pizza was very good.

I thought the price of juices etc were normal - ie expensive - but they have to make their money somewhere.

Certainly just what Lerwick needed.

Would like to say thanks for the words of support and also for the constructive comments above.

Have ordered some more high chairs and a nappy unit will be installed albeit in the disabled toilet. There really isnt any other space available. We're still finding our feet as to demand and taking into account that it's mostly families and friends or couples, it's looking likely that we could end up removing the bar chair area and popping in some more tables and chairs instead.

As for pricing of our products, the pasta quoted is our most expensive option - our Flames Special Pasta which contains chicken and is quite a reasonable sized portion. On the burger front - (Noodeyn) if it didn't contain salad, cheese and sauce then let me know - it shouldn't be a plain burger unless you ask for it in this way.

Unfortunately it's not possible to compete with BK and McDonalds as we don't have the same buying power nor access to cheaper mains gas - couple that with cost of freight to Shetland. At the end of the day it's about tasty food at a reasonable price - so far everyone seems to be enjoying it and we're doing our best to deliver it.

As for the drinks, the cans are actually £1.10 but we will soon be putting in bottomless drinks similar to pizza hut around the same price as they do.

By the time we "officially" open, we will *try* to have a kids menu sorted too.

Thanks again - it's good to know where we need to improve in order to bring you what you want.