Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Chriiiiiist, you could go too any eaterie in the world and have a bad meal on ANY day of the week, why do people feel the need to post that crap on here?

I agree that it's unfair to judge an establishment based on one bad meal, and go straight onto the interweb and post about it (where it can be found forever). Did you try taking it back? Complain? Maybe it's a new staff training issue etc.

If they're consistently bad fair enough.

We took a run up to Unst the other day and decided to go the the Saxavord resort for lunch as we had wonderful fish and chips there a couple of years ago. When we got there the guy on reception told us they had stopped doing lunches during the week as there were so many eating places on Unst nobody came to Saxavord any more.

After a moment's thought he asked if soup and sandwiches would be ok. It would take a peerie while as he would have to make it himself. He seated us in the restaurant and in due course the meal appeared.

Full marks for service!

We took a run up to Unst the other day and decided to go the the Saxavord resort for lunch as we had wonderful fish and chips there a couple of years ago. When we got there the guy on reception told us they had stopped doing lunches during the week as there were so many eating places on Unst nobody came to Saxavord any more.

After a moment's thought he asked if soup and sandwiches would be ok. It would take a peerie while as he would have to make it himself. He seated us in the restaurant and in due course the meal appeared.

Full marks for service!

now that is service! especially if he made it himself. We too were in unst the other day and just had toastie from Foords chocolates which filled the gap in me belly, also didnt want to eat much while there so I could munch on their lovely chocolates!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrived in Shetland when the Brae Hotel looked awful on the exterior and I was told the inside was as bad, if not worse. I have avoided it ever since, even though improvements have obviously taken place. I happened to be in the Brae area last Sunday and decided to take the plunge and try their carvery lunch. Well what a shock. The interior is stunning, the service was excellent and the meal first class. I have to say that the beef was as good as anything I have tasted in Shetland. Unfortunately, the chef is moving to the Shetland Hotel but I would recommend the restaurant to anyone who happens to be in the Brae area and wants a different meal to Frankie's.

Arrived in Shetland when the Brae Hotel looked awful on the exterior and I was told the inside was as bad, if not worse. I have avoided it ever since, even though improvements have obviously taken place. I happened to be in the Brae area last Sunday and decided to take the plunge and try their carvery lunch. Well what a shock. The interior is stunning, the service was excellent and the meal first class. I have to say that the beef was as good as anything I have tasted in Shetland.

Thanks for this. I have to say I've never even considered eating in the Brae Hotel before! But might now.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Flames for a curry this weekend. My sauce was curdled and it was the first time in my life that I bought a curry, and needed to add salt in order to get some flavour.

It also took three times as long as they said it would, so I didn't have time to complain about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Mareel Cafe/Bar today for my lunch at 12:20, Soup wasn't ready and no sandwiches. There was at least 6 staff so I was confused by the lack of soup readiness and went straight back out. Went to Flames instead and had a burger and chips, it was pretty decent!

Well I emailed a place after having TERRIBLE service (tried to complain in person but was ignored as they we "too busy")

And guess what?! No response at all!

Name and shame them.

It's the first time this has happened but if it happens again I shall name and shame!

Ate at Shetland hotel last week. It was actually quite nice.