Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

having had chinese down in Glasgow and can say the chinese retaurants in Shetland are something to be proud of!

There are some really poor Chinese restaurants in Glasgow, but there are also some absolutely excellent ones which are in a different league to those in Shetland.

The Ho Wong in Cowcaddens is particularly good.

Sarmile - I tried it for the first time recently and had a Chicken Malayan curry - cool - tastes like the cross between pudding and curry as there is a good amount of banana and pineapple in it - recommended

Golden Coach - I was in there some weeks ago and noticed that the place is starting to look shabby, with peeling wallpaper etc. It's a shame as the food is good.

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

I think ghostrider is right on the money with his evaluation of sumburgh airports "sick building" syndrome analogy. Granted, the staff at the airport shop rarely smile and aren't exactly helpful. However, they are not alone here. The airport security staff are constantly wandering around doing nothing with their heads down (who can blame them, thats got to be the worst job ever, even they admit that), and as for the one or two of the BA staff at the check-in desks. The less said about them the better. And last but not least there is the OBC baggage handlers. Have you ever seen such a bunch of unhappy looking, lazy muppets in all your life? Although I am not often at the airport, on the occasions I have been the OBC staff have been very unprofessional, especially the very rude, large monkey look a like chap. They really do take the biscuit. Conclusion: "sick building syndrome" is spot on.

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

I think ghostrider is right on the money with his evaluation of sumburgh airports "sick building" syndrome analogy. Granted, the staff at the airport shop rarely smile and aren't exactly helpful. However, they are not alone here. The airport security staff are constantly wandering around doing nothing with their heads down (who can blame them, thats got to be the worst job ever, even they admit that), and as for the one or two of the BA staff at the check-in desks. The less said about them the better. And last but not least there is the OBC baggage handlers. Have you ever seen such a bunch of unhappy looking, lazy muppets in all your life? Although I am not often at the airport, on the occasions I have been the OBC staff have been very unprofessional, especially the very rude, large monkey look a like chap. They really do take the biscuit. Conclusion: "sick building syndrome" is spot on.

Can't quite see what the above has to do with this thread though. Personal attacks just get you nowhere. I bit I will answer though is the fact that no longer do OBC staff walk around with sullen looks. We have had a staff re-shuffle recently that has improved our working conditions.

Went to Olive Tree in Bolts today, very busy but definately worth the wait. I ordered a mezze plate £5.50 it consisted of Olives, peppers, wild rice, rustic bread and cranberry chutney & salad leaves and dressing. I would say this was the best presented lunch that I have ever experienced in Lerwick. They had quite a good range of different meats and salads plenty of options if you are a veggie, so I'll be going back. :D

Sorry to mention them again, but they really do deserve praise. The Fort Chip Shop on Friday served me what was probably the best meal that I have had in Shetland - breaded fish supper. The chips had not long come out the fryer and they seem to have reduced the portions a bit, which means that you eat the whole portion and not throw half of it away.

I always knew that they would be worth a visit when their methodology of one cooking, one serving and one taking the cash was held up as a fine example on a food hygiene course.