Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

I also went there in May and took an instant dislike to the place.

Apart from the tables being the smallest I have ever encountered in a café and the fact that the food was obviously just microwaved rubbish, I was appalled by the fact that dogs are welcomed in the café.

Our group of 4 was trying to eat the rubbish served up and there was a big dog, although on a lead from a couple at another table, sniffing around us and obviously looking for scraps whilst we ate. I made a polite but discouraging comment to the dog's owner but it was ignored. Dogs are obviously encouraged there because, before the couple's order was taken, the two café owners came out and stroked the dog. I would hope that they washed their hands when they went back into the kitchen.

Have a look at the website page:(http://www.foordschocolates.co.uk/cafe.html#)

The owners are clearly dog lovers. I am not and I think that, although seemingly legal to have dogs in cafes, it is most unhygienic. Perhaps the owners should shut the café and open boarding kennels instead.

I hope you didn't allow the dog to get any scraps as this may have been considered as cruelty to animals.I wouldn't feed their micro slops to my dog.

There is a collage of photos of doggy visitors on one of the walsl, so yes their canine guests seem to take priority over their human ones.

If they stuck to supplying sandwiches and stopped the micro slops, they may just get some returning customers.

[mod]I've removed this post and I've merged your other thread "Unst Chocolate Factory "Cafe" with this one. I've also removed another thread you've started about this same thing.

Now. One would wonder whether you've actually just got some kind of 'thing' against this place? What with scatter bombing Shetlink continually with the same post. Go on .. stick your real name next to it ... go on! Go on .. you know you want to... go on!

[/mod]

Went to the Bonhoga Gallery for lunch on Friday. Can totally recommend it. Good food, good coffee, good service :)

Was in there today. Food was excellent despite me feeling off colour. I have never had anything low standard food-wise there.

I will be glad when the young kids are back at school though. At least certain mums won't be abandoning their offspring to the annoyance of other diners.

I had the most disgusting flabby brown bread filled with rubber egg mayonnaise sandwich ever in the history of sandwiches at The Sumburgh airport. I was handed it to take through securitY as a quick lunch so could not go back and complain.

the cost? £2.40 for one sarnie! :shock:

I was surprised as usually their bacon rolls first thing are a thing of pleasure. This over-priced creation was almost inedible.

To reply to the moderator. I dare you to have a Fish and chips from the specials board or the macaroni and cheese from this cafe without being utterly disgusted with the quality and sheer nerve of the owners for serving up such rubbish.

I only wanted to save others from feeling ripped off and maybe they will frequent other establishments that do actually care what they serve up.

^does sound like you have a personal issue with Foords, for if the meal was really bad enough to start several threads about it, why didn't you complain at the time and send it back?

I've only had chocolate products at that cafe, and it was fine. And the welcome to dogs is very refreshing (even though I don't have one ).

I suppose daveh has a personal issue with them too.This forum is for good and bad comments. I feel it is in the public interest to highlight what I consider to be daylight robbery and a taint on Unsts reputation as a tourist friendly destination.The proof of the pudding is as they say is in the eating.If you think I'm exagerrating or ranting for no reason, try the "food" yourselves.

PS. I agree, the chocies are fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in the Havely yesterday. Great egg mayo sandwiches. Nice to have a tea bag served separately with a cup of boiling water so you can have it to your own taste. Sweeteners on the table as well as sugar would be a nice touch. They are readily available. I saw they were selling cup cakes though - bleurgh. Does no-one do proper baking any more? Service was not too bad considering that the place was heaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Montys twice now in recent weeks. Bloody brilliant!!!!

After tending to stay away from there because I often felt 'fantin' after usually paying in the high teens for a main course.........I just didn't think it was good value very pretty to look at mind you but just not enough of it. 

The last two trips have been fantastic though. Still paying in the high teens for a main but plenty on the plate.......a dream!