Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Well just been with my family to The Grand Hotel Carvery and have to say it was disappointing to say the least. Staff were lovely but the food was a let down. Good selection of meats but food was cold when we sat to table, plates weren't warm enough for a carvery serving. The cheescake was disgusting seemed synthetic, didnt taste of either cream cheese or bailys, served with what I presume to be squirty cream. Coffee - instant, enough said. And the dining room was cold despite them turning up the plug in raditor beside us up high.

Could have been a lovely lunch, lovely building and attentive staff, potential is there, but sadly we really begrudged paying over the money at the end, went there with Dad who is up on hols but dont think any of us would go back again :-(

I also went there in May and took an instant dislike to the place.

Apart from the tables being the smallest I have ever encountered in a café and the fact that the food was obviously just microwaved rubbish, I was appalled by the fact that dogs are welcomed in the café.

Our group of 4 was trying to eat the rubbish served up and there was a big dog, although on a lead from a couple at another table, sniffing around us and obviously looking for scraps whilst we ate. I made a polite but discouraging comment to the dog's owner but it was ignored. Dogs are obviously encouraged there because, before the couple's order was taken, the two café owners came out and stroked the dog. I would hope that they washed their hands when they went back into the kitchen.

Have a look at the website page:(http://www.foordschocolates.co.uk/cafe.html#)

The owners are clearly dog lovers. I am not and I think that, although seemingly legal to have dogs in cafes, it is most unhygienic. Perhaps the owners should shut the café and open boarding kennels instead.

I do not normally bother with criticisms that are not constructive or actually true, but in this case I will make an exception. AT NO POINT would any dog visitors be allowed to 'sniff around you and look for scraps' and of course we follow strict hygiene rules and regulations concerning hand washing and cross contamination.

Yes, our food is microwaved and if you expected more for £3.95 you are in denial. However, the quality is good as many hundreds of people over the summer found when they ate with us. Our tables are more than adequate - we have 2 sizes, perhaps you should have sat at the larger one.

The bottom line is that anyone who is not prepared to put their name to a review and to criticise constructively is not worth listening to - we take on board all comments and suggestions, assuming they are not just from someone who spends their time spamming Shetlink because they are too afraid to either speak up at the time of their problem or put their name to a review.

Incidentally, we do not hide that fact that we are dog friendly, there is a poster on the door, so you knew before you even entered the building. It would only be unhygienic if not controlled properly so your statement is an opinion and not fact. If you wanted to eat somewhere that was guaranteed dog free, then why come into a cafe that states on the door that dogs are welcome?

Edited by Aaron Foord

Since I am replying to comments made about my establishment, thought I may as well tackle these too.

Just had a "meal" from the "specials"board in the Cafe at the Unst Chocolate Factory.Fish an chips an mushy peas for £3.95 thinking it would be a small portion,but no it was the cheapest ready meal microwave crap.It was the most second most disgusting thing I have seen on a plate.The worst thing I have seen was the "macaroni cheese" they presented to the kids.This was also a budget microwave splodge and even with Ketchup the kids left almost all of it.
When they said they didn't do portions of chips we should have left.I now realise the only chips the do, come in the ready"meal" box.
If they can't serve something better than this, they shouldn't bother at all.

'Thinking it would be a small portion' - what utter nonsense. If you thought that then you are naive to say the least. As for the food quality, we do not use catering food but our food is from Birds Eye, Findus, McCain etc and the macaroni cheese (just for your information) is Findus. Sort of shows up your ridiculous comments doesn't it. Did you complain at the time? Did you leave any of your meals?  No, I thought not.

As for your kids not eating their macaroni cheese;- you have ordered fish and chips, they are also sat next to a menu offering chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk shalkes etc etc so it is hardly surprising really. Perhaps you should have ordered them something they wanted instead of something you wanted them to have? Perhaps them not eating the meal you were having to pay for was the real root of your issue, not anything to do with us at all.

That's the place.My post was totally genuine and I will be posting on Tripadvisor. This would be negative experience for any Shetland visitor and especially to Unst which is struggling to revive it's economy after the closure of the RAF camp.The total for drinks and food came to £28.50 and I felt as if I had been mugged.There are few food outlets in Unst and if others can be made aware of the quality of "food" served here, then others who make an effort will benefit.

Our meals are £3.95. If there were four of you then that makes £11.80 so you must have had a whole lot more such as drinks, cakes, ice cream etc which seemingly was not a problem?

I hope you didn't allow the dog to get any scraps as this may have been considered as cruelty to animals.I wouldn't feed their micro slops to my dog.
There is a collage of photos of doggy visitors on one of the walsl, so yes their canine guests seem to take priority over their human ones.
If they stuck to supplying sandwiches and stopped the micro slops, they may just get some returning customers.

'Micro slops'? You have the same manufacturers in your freezer so unless you want to criticise constructively then why bother?.  We get many many returning customers thank you.

To reply to the moderator. I dare you to have a Fish and chips from the specials board or the macaroni and cheese from this cafe without being utterly disgusted with the quality and sheer nerve of the owners for serving up such rubbish.
I only wanted to save others from feeling ripped off and maybe they will frequent other establishments that do actually care what they serve up.

Seems that you have nothing else to do than start multiple threads which come over as you having a tantrum, somewhat reminiscent of a child being told to tidy their room before they are allowed out to play.

We do not 'rip off' anyone, and as far as our many hundreds of visitors every year are concerned that come back year after year, they do not think that either.

As I have replied in a previous posting, if people have a genuine complaint then we are happy to help, take on board ideas and sort the issue.

I had crap fish n chips in a Harry Ramsden's establishment once ... they weren't cheap either.  So I complained at the time.  They offered me a voucher.  Now given said establishment was nowhere near where I lived (it wasn't far from Leeds Bradford Airport) I declined said voucher and asked to speak to the Manager.  I accepted a refund and the Manager explained they had new staff, etc.  So, why didn't peeps complain at the time?  I ain't afraid to open my gob and complain in person.

I think it's great that dogs are allowed and several places up and down the UK are realising that pet owners are repeat customers.  I don't need saving, ta very much, maddisp - next time I'm in Unst I'll be sure to visit .... mmm, chocolate!

Dogs rub their herses along the floor. They lick their herses then lick folk and the smeared food left by a babies hand. Any eating establishment who lets normal pets into the dining area is one to avoid.

Another one who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. 'Smeared food left by a babies hand'? - are you on drugs? Oh no, I forgot, you are in Lancashire an so nothing to do with Shetland whatsoever.

When you can say something sensible I cannot wait to hear it.

I do not pay for food at those houses, and a personal meal is different to the meal in a restaurant. I have never eaten in a house where the dog is around the table, as is acceptable in chocolate cafes, it seems. To answer JustMe, although many own dogs, most will not allow their animal around the food preparation areas.

Dogs rub their herses along the floor. They lick their herses then lick folk and the smeared food left by a babies hand. Any eating establishment who lets normal pets into the dining area is one to avoid.

Another one who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. 'Smeared food left by a babies hand'? - are you on drugs? Oh no, I forgot, you are in Lancashire an so nothing to do with Shetland whatsoever.

When you can say something sensible I cannot wait to hear it.

So, AAron, of the chocolate cafe, Out of touch, I guess not really.

Tell me, how does me not living in Shetland have anything to do with the bugs dogs can carry? Dogs are scavengers and will lick or eat anything that appeals to them. For instance, food smeared by a childs hand onto furniture will of course attract the tongue of the dog.

The other side is allergies, animals are not known for keeping their hair, these could cause problems for those who could be affected.

An eatery has a duty to protect the public from bad practice. That is why there is a need for the food hygiene certificate and food handling training.

Campylobacter Infection (campylobacteriosis): A bacterial disease associated with dogs, cats, and farm animals.

Cryptosporidium Infection (cryptosporidiosis): A parasitic disease associated with dogs, especially puppies, cats, and farm animals.

Dipylidium Infection (tapeworm): A parasitic disease associated with dogs, cats and fleas.

Giardia Infection (giardiasis): A parasitic disease associated with various animals, including dogs and their environment (including water).

Hookworm Infection: A parasitic disease associated with dogs and cats and their environment.

Leishmania Infection (leishmaniasis): A parasitic disease associated with dogs and sand flies outside the United States.

Leptospira Infection (leptospirosis): A bacterial disease associated with wild and domestic animals, including dogs.

Lyme Disease: A bacterial disease that can affect dogs and ticks.

Q Fever (Coxiella burnetii): A bacterial disease occasionally associated with dogs.

Ringworm: A fungal disease associated with dogs.

If you think it is worth the risk? Carry on, but you cannot be rude to someone to make it better.

Though the law does not explicitly ban dogs and other animals, it does warn that areas where the animal has been should be thoroughly clean before food prep for the public.

Furthermore, Regulation (EC) 852/2004, Annex II, Chapter IX, Paragraph 4, it states that ‘..Adequate procedures are also to be in place to prevent domestic animals from having access to places where food is prepared, handled or stored (or, where the competent authority so permits in special cases, to prevent such access from resulting in contamination).'

The requirement to make and prepare food safely is with the food business concerned and it is the responsibility of the food business operator to identify any step in the activities of their operations where food hazards (including cross contamination) may occur and to ensure adequate safety procedures to control such hazards are in place.

If you are going to prevent cross contamination, that could come from someone stroking an animal, then handling food, there has to be the full hand wash (as you know, you should not handle money and prepare food without cleaning or sanitising your hands) after all, the dog owner will of course be happy they can bring their mutt in, but it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your other paying customers who have a contract with you.

So, I stand by my thought that any eatery that allows dogs in that are not needed to help with a disability should be avoided.

I do not pay for food at those houses, and a personal meal is different to the meal in a restaurant. I have never eaten in a house where the dog is around the table, as is acceptable in chocolate cafes, it seems. To answer JustMe, although many own dogs, most will not allow their animal around the food preparation areas.

For instance, food smeared by a childs hand onto furniture will of course attract the tongue of the dog.

The other side is allergies, animals are not known for keeping their hair, these could cause problems for those who could be affected.

Though the law does not explicitly ban dogs and other animals, it does warn that areas where the animal has been should be thoroughly clean before food prep for the public.

If you are going to prevent cross contamination, that could come from someone stroking an animal, then handling food, there has to be the full hand wash (as you know, you should not handle money and prepare food without cleaning or sanitising your hands) after all, the dog owner will of course be happy they can bring their mutt in, but it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your other paying customers who have a contract with you.

So, I stand by my thought that any eatery that allows dogs in that are not needed to help with a disability should be avoided.

Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about. I am told that you are a 'politician' in the real world though so bending the facts and the truth and ignoring reality probably comes as second nature to you.

Dogs are allowed in our cafe. Dogs are allowed in many eating establishments across the UK and in fact across the world. They are not allowed in the food preparation areas, a difference which you seem unable to make although it seems easy enough to me. However, for your information a food preparation area is classified as anywhere that food is stored or prepared prior to being served to a customer. This is to prevent cross contamination. You have no idea on the layout of our premises, but even you can work out that the kitchens and the eating areas are in different places.

When in the cafe, dogs are kept under control by their owners and not allowed to stray around other tables.

Posting a list of possible animal ailments just makes you look even more foolish. Perhaps you should post one of all possible ailments that humans can carry, starting with the obvious ones like colds, coughs, flu etc?

Children do make a mess with food, that is just the way things are - but on the basis that customers would not want to sit in chairs where the arms have been covered in food, the chairs are inspected after children have been sat there and wiped down for the benefit of teh next customers who wish to use them.

If someone is allergic to doghair THERE IS A SIGN ON THE DOOR STATING THAT WE ARE A DOG FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT. I put this in capitals as I have stated it before but you have chosen to ignore it, so just wanted to make sure you can see it.

The bottom line is that since the Environmental Health department are happy with our cleaning procedures and have passed us on all relevant inspections, then you have no grounds to state that allowing dogs in our cafe or any other eating establishment is a health risk. We have our hygiene certificates on display for anyone to see to confirm this. I am sure the Environmental Health department are a whole lot more qualified than you are to make the decision.

I did not say you were out of touch. I said that you did not know what you were talking about, a point proven by your last missive. If someone does not like dogs, or is allergic to doghair, then they will generally not use a cafe/restaurant/pub that is dog friendly. This is not a food hygiene or cleanliness issue, it is a personal preference (if you don't like dogs) or a medical issue (if you are allergic) so do not try and make this into an issue that is actually not in debate.

Incidentally, this thread is for food and drink reviews in Shetland - something that you have no relevance to - perhaps we should get back on track.

Simple really.

P.S. if you let me know where exactly you are a 'politician' I will contact the eateries in your area that take dogs and see what they think - then see how long you stay in office.

Edited by Aaron Foord

My dear Aaron, let us straighten a few thing out shall we.

Firstly, you have not changed my personal opinion,

Secondly, you are wrong about the animals in preparation areas -

Regulation (EC) 852/2004 Annex II, Chapter III, lays down rules for premises, which includes those ‘…used primarily as a private dwelling-house but where foods are regularly prepared for placing on the market..’

The Agency’s view is that while the law would appear to ask food businesses to keep pets or domestic animals out of areas where food is prepared as far as possible, it would seem reasonable to allow pets into the kitchen provided that the kitchen is thoroughly cleaned before food for guests is prepared. Certainly however pets should not be in the kitchen when food is being prepared and pets (or their feeding bowls or other equipment) should not be on work surfaces.

FSA

Thirdly, I did not post a list of "animal ailments" more a list of bugs animals carry that can make a person ill

Still, my personal opinion, is if you let dogs in an eatery, then it is one to be avoided, this is your lucky day pal, I will not be visiting your cafe, as for the reasons stated.

Searching here shows, including yours, 4 eateries that let dogs around the table. So, well done for advertising that...

You are right, dogs are allowed in many restaurants around the world, especially in China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Vietnam, and the Arctic and Antarctic.

If you want to play just to the pooch owning market, then you will put others off. You cannot help that.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Good grief, it's enough to drive ya to drink!  Oh hang on a sec, many pubs allow dogs in the bars, don't they, in most of the UK?

Oh, what joy, supporting local businesses.  Still, could be worse, look at all the establishments that failed inspections that don't allow dogs in. :rofl:

@shetlandpeat - you seem to have a problem either with the english language or with reading, so I will assist you with both.

Preparation - dictionary definition is a noun meaning 'getting ready'.

Food preparation Area - a place where food is prepared, ie kitchen.

As I stated, we do not allow dogs in our food preparation areas.

If you use the link you placed, you will find hundreds of places, not just 4, all over the UK. Dogs are allowed in the majority of restaurants in France, germany and across Europe in general.

You are welcome to your personal opinion, but do not try stating facts at me if you cannot get them right.

I note you declined to let me know your political constituency.

Lastly, I am not your 'pal'. The reason you will not be visiting is that you live in mainland UK, and not Shetland.

Edited by Aaron Foord

Do what you want.

But to expect me to keep checking your post in case of any edits is a waste of time. We have no eateries that let dogs in where I am from... and, I am not an MP.

If there was, I would discuss with them the advantages of not doing so as I am not the only one who thinks dogs are not to be in eateries.

As for your attempt at teaching English, I would stick to using the microwave if I were you. I did not say you let animals in to your prep area, what I did comment on was that you said "Dogs are allowed in many eating establishments across the UK and in fact across the world. They are not allowed in the food preparation areas," which I replied that you were wrong.

Regulation (EC) 852/2004 Annex II, Chapter III, lays down rules for premises, which includes those ‘…used primarily as a private dwelling-house but where foods are regularly prepared for placing on the market..’

There are cases where animals are allowed into preparations areas but have to removed before any preparation is done and thoroughly cleaned before hand.

As I said, it is your prerogative to allow dogs into your establishment and your duty of care to ensure it is kept clean to avoid any cross contamination.

I am a regular visitor to Shetland, admittedly I do not get up to Unst much when I am there, though I have been past your eatery many times. Thanks though for telling me. I assume from your comment about why I will not be visiting is that only locals come to your eatery?

just a last note, this I copied from your web site

Dogs are a big part of our home life, and we know how hard it is to find somewhere where you can take your dog with you,

Thought you said there were plenty and enough to lose an MP a seat.

Changing that part to say you are part of a network of eateries that let animals into the dining area would be better.

"If you use the link you placed, you will find hundreds of places, not just 4, all over the UK" Wot u said! Chum!

Edited by shetlandpeat