Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Looks like a yes.

Just to say I went for lunch in the Braewick Cafe last week. Incredible food and at reasonable price. Huge portions as well.

We had the Club sandwich and the Ploughmans lunch. Absolutely huge and tasty looking Club sandwich which the wife enjoyed. My Ploughmans was one of the best I have ever had. Loads of home produced meat. To be recommended.

Went to 'Papparazzi', the new incarnation of Osla's. They're trying harder with service at least but will have to work hard to build up a reputation after dying on their feet for years. My fish n chips was ok, small fish though. Weird mayonnaise - very cheap perhaps? It will take a while before I am confident of ordering in here.

I see the foundations being layed for the new cafe(Fjana?) opposite Tesco.  It's great to see this but I think there's a market for one at Gremista too.

The Takeaway has been there for years on the site of the old weighbridge but imho it's just stodge they serve.  The rolls are horrible and aren't even buttered!.

A nice small cafe there(where you could sit in) like the one being built at the Sea Road would be excellent.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

well ive had there bacon butties and sausage baps and i disagree with you. they are very nice. the number of folks that use them shows its popular too. just because its not a fancy shop does not mean its bad.

I didn't say it was bad because it's not a fancy shop.  I said the food, whilst passable, isn't the greatest by a long shot.

It's "popular" because for the many workers in the area there's no alternative close by and they don't have the time to traips into town.

well ive had there bacon butties and sausage baps and i disagree with you. they are very nice. the number of folks that use them shows its popular too. just because its not a fancy shop does not mean its bad.

I didn't say it was bad because it's not a fancy shop.  I said the food, whilst passable, isn't the greatest by a long shot.

It's "popular" because for the many workers in the area there's no alternative close by and they don't have the time to traips into town.

It is a road side cafe for want of a better word. Due to their set up, they can deliver your "meal" at reasonable speed. The parking is good as well, I think that is part of the reason for its popularity. No where to park a HGV in town. The food must be OK, I have not seen any issues raised by any Health inspections as I have seen with one or two others in town.

Another vote from me for the Weighbridge. They have been the best cafe in Shetland for many years and that's purely on the quality, nothing to do with parking or location.

As mentioned elsewhere a sit-in Cafe with decent parking is long overdue, so the Marts sounds good.

Theres been a real upsurge in "Burger Vans" recently too. (quotes as I haven't been to half of them so they may offer all sorts!) but still nothing at most of the ferry terminals. I've always wondered why as a fast-food outlet makes so much sense with the "captive" clients.

New menu at "Paparazzi's" is quire interesting. I tried the Desperado burger the other day.

Closest thing to Man Vs Food style eating you're likely to find in Lerwick. Had a take out, so can't vouch for the table service (Osla's was notoriously slow). Anyway, the burger was easily the best (and most imaginative) I've had in Shetland, stealing the crown from my former favourite, the one and only Jalapeño burger from the Relish van.    

972628_10203069945844797_1284826495_n.jp