Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Guest Mr.Brown

If the one & only time that I was in there is anything to go by I think it's possible the sauce bottles & whatever else are stuck to the tables! Here's a novel idea, how about an eatery that serves the sort of good, straightforward kind of food that "Da Noost" used to serve many years ago. Anybody mind that?

• 2 months later...
Guest Mr.Brown

Lerwick is crying out for an eatery that caters for families, where you can enjoy a good home cooked meal and a pint - it would make someone somewhere a splendid return.

What like all the hotels!

My experience of the two hotels on the street has been nice food, good portion size but chips only when I just want a boiled tattie! I haven't been in them since probably late summer(ish) last year so if the tattie status has changed let us know.

Guest Mr.Brown

I had lovely Dauphinoise potatoes in the Lerwick hotel just last week.

( not the street I know)

I wouldn't turn my nose up at those either & I have had a few nice meals out there too though I haven't had occasion to go there in quite some time. My use of the street hotels has been at lunch times when I have needed to be in the town all day or maybe a birthday, so not frequently. The sort of catering that was on offer by "Da Noost" (cafe/restaurant) or the Fisherman's Mission in their hey days I think could be popular again. Everything we have on offer in the day time seems to fall either side of this.

Lerwick is crying out for an eatery that caters for families, where you can enjoy a good home cooked meal and a pint - it would make someone somewhere a splendid return.

My experience of the two hotels on the street has been nice food, good portion size but chips only when I just want a boiled tattie! I haven't been in them since probably late summer(ish) last year so if the tattie status has changed let us know.

Goodness, these two wee hotels sound good. There are, of course, other hotels in Shetland but they are not trapped in Lerwick, wherever that is..

couldnt agree more. We used to nip out to Herrislea’s lounge bar for a treat on Fridays at lunch time, great home cooking, good helpings and down to earth food and reasonable prices. It’s difficult to find a good pub lunch now. Everything has to look like an artist plated it.

The Raba has started doing the halls. Recently caught them in Mossbank. A more limited menu but really nice food and freshly cooked in front of you.

I just wish the hall had thought to lay out some tables maybe open the bar. They are always looking for ways to make more cash and I am sure it would have been popular.

Oooh, please come to Walls. 

Guest Mr.Brown

Goodness, these two wee hotels sound good. There are, of course, other hotels in Shetland but they are not trapped in Lerwick, wherever that is..

There is George, Hillswick would be my favourite of the ones I have tried. But it's no use to me when I go to the town as I travel by bus.

There is George, Hillswick would be my favourite of the ones I have tried. But it's no use to me when I go to the town as I travel by bus.

Hillswick is great, Mr Brown. The St Magnus Bay Hotel do a great job of looking after us all and will always feed you well. Luckily, it's within walking distance of me so I enjoy it, unlike the rest of the world which have a bus service which runs 365 days a year. Shetland has an occasional bus service that gives you no more than hope.

Guest Mr.Brown

^I wouldn't expect or want buses 365 days a year, I think everyone if at all possible should get the chance to spend Christmas with their friends & family (whether they're religious or not) & New year too. Any essential workers should be paid extra. I do wish there was more connectivity with buses between areas though so that it were more possible to sample the food (& drink) delights of Hillswick Hotel & other country venues. I envy you George, Hillswick is a beautiful place as well as having the hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Had an individual trifle from Da Kitchen Bakery tonight, bought in Alec Morrison’s, hidden behind the meat pies. A red jelly with trifle sponges, topped with custard then fresh cream with a cherry on top and a few chocolate sprinkles. So much better than the fake cream on most of the supermarket offerings, and a nice size for one. Well done!

Yesterday bought a Walls bakery battenburg. Really nice marzipan on it. It tends to be too sticky. Bad news on the pickle loaf though, which seems to be getting harder by the week.

What happened to the focaccia that used to be on sale in Lerwick on a Saturday?