Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Had an individual trifle from Da Kitchen Bakery tonight, bought in Alec Morrison’s, hidden behind the meat pies. A red jelly with trifle sponges, topped with custard then fresh cream with a cherry on top and a few chocolate sprinkles. So much better than the fake cream on most of the supermarket offerings, and a nice size for one. Well done!

Yesterday bought a Walls bakery battenburg. Really nice marzipan on it. It tends to be too sticky. Bad news on the pickle loaf though, which seems to be getting harder by the week.

What happened to the focaccia that used to be on sale in Lerwick on a Saturday?

distressed to see the kitchen bakery have started using supermarket instore bakery products seeing packs of pre made danishes etc like in the coop sell with there label on is a shame from a craft bakery

• 1 month later...

Had lunch in Busta House again last week. Can't praise it enough really good food and reasonably priced. I just wish they would do more with the outside of the building. They have a amazing sheltered sun trap at the main door. Why not put a couple of tables there?

Also had lunch in the French place. The food was nice although the service seemed a bit chaotic. Downside is that the wife hated the coffee and you couldn't get just a plain cup of tea. Will definitely be back though.

Was also in Teamore and although I hate those thin chips served in silly baskets the fish was actually really nice. Although a much smaller portion than the Fort.

Will be trying the Dowry a few times when I get home.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a couple of meals at Fjara last week. Lovely place with great service. Free refills on your tea as well. The menu although limited was really nice, with a local twist. the steak was excellent!

I was also in the Peerie shop cafe on saturday. Lovely to sit outside and eat in the Sun. The food was really nice and much better than my previous visit.

A tale of two fry ups:

Went to Frankies last week for my weekly Fry up. It was very poor I am afraid and not a patch on its former glories. very fatty slobbery bacon ( Cold by the way. Cheap and horrible sausages. The Sassermeat had a peculiar sweet taste which was quite unpleasant. Finally the 1 egg was solid!

This week we tried the Moorfield hotel. I had never had breakfast here before so was interested to try it out. slightly more expensive than Frankies but a good portion size. The bacon and Black pudding were lovely and seemed of a good quality.There were Two eggs with lovely runny yokes. This breakfast also suffered from cheap sausages, I do wish they would get some local from a butchers. No sassermeat either which would be a nice addition. A lovely breakfast and great service.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Dowry last Friday.

A very busy place. We booked a week in advance and still had to wait 30 minutes for our table.

The place is absolutely lovely inside.

The menu is eclectic with some very interesting dishes. There is a focus on Shetland seafood which was kind of wasted on us I am afraid.

We had a fantastic shared cold meat and cheese platter. Which although expensive has loads on it. Three different cold meats and Three different cheeses. Some lovely toasted bread and oatcakes and butter. Salad and a really interesting homemade pickle.

For mains the Wife had Lamb, which I hate to say was overcooked. I had an interesting dish which was Risotto wrapped in Filo pastry.

The mains don't come with accompaniments so have to be ordered separately. Although a portion of Garlic fried potatoes easily is enough for two.

Desert was a Ice cream and liquor dish which the wife loved.

All in all a great meal.

However I would like to see some Fish on the menu. I would have loved some grilled Mackerel or something. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had lunch in the museum the other day. They have a new system now where you have to go up to the counter to order and pay.

The service seemed very rushed and the manager was practically running about the place in very loud shoes. Not sure why as the place was deserted. Waited ages for our food to arrive.

Had the chowder and a smoked fish kedgeree. The chowder was OK but a bit bland, needs either more smoked fish or to be seasoned. The Kedgeree started off nice being a poached egg and smoked fish on top of the rice. The Fish was good but the rice was very clatchy. It had an overpowering taste off Turmeric I think. Very unpleasant!

Normally I would have got a coffee and pudding but couldn't be bothered going and standing at the bar again.

While I was there 4 people who didn't realise they had to order at the bar got up and left.

I think this new system is part of a costcutting/streamlining exercise but to me isn't working. The front of house staff are rushing about but achieving very little meanwhile the kitchen is crazily overstaffed for the amount of covers.

Edited by mikeyboy