Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

We've had stuff from there twice. Weren't taken with it either time.

The starter tended to be ok, but the rest of it we also found a bit tasteless.

I keep hoping that they might improve, but they haven't done so in the couple of weeks we waited.

I suppose what we'll do is wait for a few weeks, then try it again. If it's not good a third time then we won't be back.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I (originally from Orkney) have always fancied a visit to Shetland, we'll be there for a week during August. Where is the best place to dine out, in and around Lerwick for seafood & vegetarian under the same roof. Thanks :)

(*** Mod - Merged ***)

have to agree with comments on museum. I've been three times but have never had what I would describe as a good experience.

First time the food was awful, second time food a little better but slow service, third time food fine but only got part of order (side orders never arrvied until we had almost finished!!) and service was very poor

have to agree with comments on museum. I've been three times but have never had what I would describe as a good experience.

First time the food was awful, second time food a little better but slow service, third time food fine but only got part of order (side orders never arrvied until we had almost finished!!) and service was very poor

I'm a firm believer in giving places chances to improve, but I also believe in three strikes and you're out. I too am disappointed with the service, some of the food (remember the meringue on caramel which tasted like scrambled egg with syrup?), and the dreadful coffee. There are some very good points though, the lobster ravioli with the scallop bisque was fantastic, the soups have all beem brilliant and the lunchtime chowder superb. I can't sit about for three hours though for just three courses to arrive - valentine's dinner this year we arrived at seven and didn't get out until just before ten. If neither of us had to drive it might have been nice to enjoy a bottle of wine and perhaps a post dinner brandy but three hours for a mediochre dinner was a bit too much for me.

Anyone know what has happened to Montys?

I have been twice at the carvery at the Grand on a Sunday, it is not an experiance i plan to do a third time. The food is terrible. The gravy tastes like its just been made from bisto even though they have all that meat (which is tasteless so maybe they did make the gravy off it).

None of the chinese's are any good(msg in EVERYTHING)! The only acceptable SE Asian cooking is Phusiam at the Glenorchy. Fresh ingredients, made from scratch and no msg. All chinese's (even Golden Coach) ship in mass produced frozen crap. GC claims no msg in anything but they can't control the produce sent from south... prawn crackers, many sauces and batter mix all contain msg. Just after the place in sandveien opened i phoned them and asked to place an order with no msg, I was told this was not possible as everything was prefrozen at the source and contained msg.

Hay's Dock Cafe - I have always enjoyed the food especially the salad dressing although there is never enough!! However the last time I was there the cutlery was thrown on to the table by a surly tall female waitress who should know better i.e. set cutlery out and also provide napkins...please and thank you :wink:

Scalloway Hotel - Had a brilliant meal there last weekend - food exceptional and service impeccable. I can understand why their reputation is so good. :D

Five of us up in Unst last week so tried the Northern Lights Bistro (the old Haroldswick shop). All agreed it was the best food we had been served anywhere, ever. All swapped and tried each other's starters, main dishes and sweets - all fantastic. BEWARE though, they don't accept cards. Thank goodness I had my cheque book with me and didn't have to beg cash from the folk I was trying to treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Skipidock Cafe - I've been there every day this week for 10 o'clocks, two rolls on each occasion. Today (Thursday) is the first day I have had a fresh roll all week which I think is an absolute disgrace for a local eaterie where there is no reason to be selling thawed oot buns!!!! :twisted: