Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Phusiam (at the Glen Orchy, on Knab Rd) are a truly superb Thai takeaway. They do a whole range of stuff, from natural-tasting-subtle-delicious to goodness-gracious-me-that's-lively. Good honest Thai grub, thoroughly recommend it (you can actually taste all the natural ingredients - which is always a plus!!).

I do like the Great Wall as well, consistently excellent, top marks to them too.

I've linked to a handy site below, with all the local takeaway menus gathered together in one place. Incredibly handy (I can never understand why the local takeaways don't have websites showing their current menus!!). I'm sure the link must have been posted by someone in this thread already, but here it is again, just to make sure. Not always totally up-to-date, but near enough for anyone's purposes. Whoever the genius is who assembled these takeaway menus online, thank you v much:

http://www.sheltie.plus.com/Takeaway%2011-11-07.html

I’m all for giving bad or good reviews, however to review it a year later I don’t think is particularly fair or relevant.

Yeah it was dire, two wrong meals, soup tasted like fairy liquid, everything was not very good. We were all disapointed, meal for 8 and everything was poor, that was over a year ago so maybe they have been at some cookery lessons from then? Crap 1 out of 10 would be my score.

I said before it was crap, Medziotojas wanted me to go into more details, I wasent doing a review, just stateing it was crap when I had stuff. As i said people can learn to cook very quickly so they maybe have now.

This section is for food reviews.

I don’t want to get into a heated debate, I’ve never been to the place in question - I’m just suggesting that in fairness comments should be based upon recent visits

If we based all eating establishments in Shetland on long gone visits, we would have nowhere left to eat! I'm more concerned with what a place is like now.

You can give a place another chance and then write a review.

My partner is not a fan of The Raba. He says everytime he eats there, he spends the night on the loo. This is his review from 2 years ago.

I don't but do usually end up drinking alot of water.

Haven't been for a year or so, so we decided to give it another chance (basically everywhere else was booked up and we were being taken out for a curry) and aren't we glad we did!

The food was great, the service wasn't bad, and we left very happy bunnies having had a delicious meal, totally changing our opinion. Yes, we will go back. Yes, things have changed since the last couple of years and yes, my OH enjoyed himself and is more than happy to return.

- I’m just suggesting that in fairness comments should be based upon recent visits

If we based all eating establishments in Shetland on long gone visits, we would have nowhere left to eat! I'm more concerned with what a place is like now.

^I think that's a correct, fair and reasonable point. The place for historical food anecdotes should really be elsewhere. Similar to the above posters I have, in the past, had horrendous food poisoning from a local food vendor that I would speak very highly of now. It shall remain nameless. :wink:

Current or reasonably recent reviews wherever possible please. A month or two would be fine, but a year or more is probably too long, unless part of a more extensive review.

While I'm here; I had a meal from the Sarmile last week for the first time in a braa while. It was excellent, but for the vegetable pakoras which had obviously been reheated, the fact that they were all 'pancaked' was a bit of a giveaway and they weren't very hot even in the car on my way home. The other stuff had by me and the other diner was all faultless though. VG

Just home from a meal at Orcas in Sandwick, new menu - Wonderful meal!

2 new Veggie Main options - leek in french mustard sauce sauce crumble - delicious! Going to try their Chilli Quorn Carni next... soon!

Really nice starter - canna mind the name but it was lovely - cheesy breaded fritter-thing with delicious home-made chutney. Mmmmmmm.

My 2 omnivorous companions also really enjoyed their meal - some kind of Monkfish kebab-thing starter {which they said was better than the same they had in Portugal!} and 'surf & turf' main course which looked a real plateful!

No tummy-room left for the puddings which sounded amazing - maybe starter & puds next time?

Well done to Lee & Jane :)

While I'm here; I had a meal from the Sarmile last week for the first time in a braa while. It was excellent, but for the vegetable pakoras which had obviously been reheated, the fact that they were all 'pancaked' was a bit of a giveaway and they weren't very hot even in the car on my way home. The other stuff had by me and the other diner was all faultless though. VG

I agree with your assessment of the veggie pakora. They used to make a roundish onion bhaji style one and now they're pre made flat ones. Not to my taste any more, however, there's a lot more on the menu that is. Last week (November 2008) I had the Bhutwa starter which is tender chicken with a good spice combo - I really enjoyed it. Due to the distance I travel home it is not hot when I get there but 30 seconds on kill in the microwave does the job. The Chicken Jhalfrezi is not particularly authentic and I think after a significant period of living in West Yorkshire in a well known curry city I can say that, however, authenticity aside it is a good dish in its own right. Good spice mix, not too much oil and the chicken maintained its moistness. I tried one of the new rice dishes too, the Jeera Rice. Basmati rice fried with onion and jeera (cumin). Very tasty.

If you don't like the veggie pakora, tell them. I'm sure they'd rather customers came back, and as Shetland has a fixed customer base they won't want to lose any.