Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Nobody has yet mentioned the sit in bit of the Fort Chippy. A bit cramped and a bit of a goldfish bowl I admit but surely the best place in Shetland for the freshest cooked Fish and Chips and at a very reasonable price too.

Their breaded fish is brilliant. For years I stayed away from fish and chip shops as I didn't like the batter that they use. If I have fish and chips, it is almost always the Fort chip shop and always breaded fish.

On the day that I arrived here I was really looking forward to some fish. I was really happy to be living in a fishing port. I went for fish and chips at one of the competitors. When they told me that they had run out of fish I thought that they were winding me up because I was obviously not a local. I just would not believe that they didn't have any. They really didn't though. :(

Guest Anonymous

I like the spice of india. Great on a sunday for the buffet, really good. Havent been in a while since i live in edinburgh.

The golden coach is hard to beat too, and thats in comparison with other big restraunts south i've been too. Overall Shetland has a quite high standard of food, although - typically shetland (or scotland) the service isnt always up to scratch. Its maybe unfair to criticise specific eataries on such as public and influential forum! but certainly you do get the feeling the customer isnt always right.

I actually think certain pub staff have really bad manners in shetland, quite grumpy and moaney, western-saloon bar esque!

The golden coach is hard to beat too, and thats in comparison with other big restraunts south i've been too.

I have to agree there. I have never left there disappointed.

Raba does it for me on the Indian front. I always used to eat the lamb phal until recently when I was put on new medicines for a sinus problem. The medicines worked too well and I could suddenly see why phal is too hot for most.

Sarmile is the best takeaway in town. Napelese Tikka Massala is superb.

No too keen on da Great Wall for sitting in, was in a couple of weeks ago, finished wir starter, waiter came and got wir plates then our main course appeared straight away. They always seem to try and get you out a.s.a.p.

Lerwick Hotel takes a bit o beatin

Dont like Osla`s too slow and found a hair in me pancake!!!!

Raba is always good.

Skipidock is pretty reliable

Harbour Cafe will be better once da smoking ban comes into play!!

I asked a few folk last time home where was good for a posh feed, and about half a dozen folk mentioned da Queens. Good new chef, nice seafood options, sounded great. Went, it was mediocre. The seafood platter was seriously half-arsed, and it was very over priced. This is in comparison with restaurants in Glesga :(

I usually venture a trip to the college in Scalloway, always beautiful fish.

Other favourite is bacon and onion roll fae Solottis, nim nims.

Harbour Cafe will be better once da smoking ban comes into play!!

The Harbour Cafe were one of the few businesses to grasp the nettle early. Smoking has not been allowed there since the start of this year

That's a shame - some of my fondest memories of the Anderson are of skipping class and heading for a sneaky mid-afternon smoke and a coffee at the harbour cafe with a few pals - all totally convinced that we were intellectual bohemians straight out of some Belle & Sebastian song. Ah, youth. We were just moody twats really.

• 1 month later...

I was In Unst on Wednesday with friends from south.

We had planned to go to the Balta Sound Hotel for lunch, but I phoned from the ferry and they said they were not doing lunches nor did they offer an alternative. Typical this has happened to me before.

I decided to try the shop for some ideas. The woman was very helpful and said a new cafe had opened in Uyeasound at the hall, called the Northern Lights Cafe.

When we arrived they had a table available. A small but varied menu with veggie options not bad price. The food was exceptionally good and they are open 9-5. In the summer they will be open til 8pm for eveing meals.

So may I wish them every success over the summer. :D

The Baltasound could learn a thing or too about customer service, quite frankly I dont know how they stay open. Not even to have a pot o soup on the go in May.

This is my second visit to Unst, my last to Balty Towers. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

does the clickimin cafe have the worst staff in to world???

recently i was in the cafe at lunch time and while i was in the que i witnesed one of the lasses pick a lump of food out by hand of the service dish and shove it in here gob! i looked with astonishment only to see her go into the kitchen and 2 mins later another member of staff come out and do the exact same- at least if staff wanted to steel bits of food they would do it in the kitchen where no one will see them.

i found the staff very slow and have a defently 'what YOU wanting' attatude, rather than 'can i help you' so no points to them!

lack of speed is also very apparent too, so dont go ther if you are in a rush......

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

well i must agree with you there the airport is far worse - at least you gan get resonable foon in clickimin, worth eating - id not give the food at the airport to my dog - i live him too much. and they do have a right pair of the grumpiest staff in the world.

so the airport is worst followed by clickimin - so far!