Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

There's that place up the lane from the Tourist Office... name escaping me now... sort of hidden away up a flight of stairs... not overly cheap, but it's pleasant, has good bread, and serves some of the Unst beers (why do so few other places seem to? Support your local most-northerly-bit-of-Britain!)

I rather like Oslas actually... behaviour of proprietors aside - it's the closest thing to a decent pizza around. And how many AHS students can you fit into a window booth? (You'd be amazed)

Also the lunchtime sandwiches at the Peerie Shop café - and if the weather is depressing, a hot chocolate with rum.

Last time I was on Unst (early April) I found myself with nothing but a bag of cashews at 6pm having not had dinner. Couldn't find anywhere with food.

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

thats ok witht eh smiles but maners and quality of food cant be blamed on a bad building

Your right the food is dreadful at the airport usually reheated stuff from the hotel from the night before I hear, and the selection is not to healthy either, but thats what you get when the operator has a captive market and no competition, :?

Had a fish supper fae da fort chippy da night which was most splendid. Scalloway was used to be my chippy of choice but since changing hands it has gone downhill.

Went to the peerie shop cafe on Saturday for lunch, must admit to being a little disapointed. The BLT had the most tasteless tomatoes I have ever eaten and I have my suspicions that the bacon had been reheated a la microwave. The only saving grace was the chocolate torte cake thingy which I can strongly recomend. Moral of the story is- good for coffee and cake, no so good for a BLT.

Your right the food is dreadful at the airport usually reheated stuff from the hotel from the night before I hear, and the selection is not to healthy either, but thats what you get when the operator has a captive market and no competition, :?

A few weeks ago I had a nice meal there and it was a fairly healthy dish too. Mediteranian chicken type thing with pasta. I don't think it quite justified the cost though. As for the service, the lass who served me the food was all smiles and politeness but the guy on the till seemed to have issues.

A few weeks ago I had a nice meal there and it was a fairly healthy dish too. Mediteranian chicken type thing with pasta. I don't think it quite justified the cost though. As for the service, the lass who served me the food was all smiles and politeness but the guy on the till seemed to have issues.

that till guy - i totaly agree with you there! i remember a long time ago asking for a hot chocholate and being told i could not get one because of health and saftey! what they ment was they were only one staff member on and he could not leave the till and the chocholate machine was behind the food counter.

maby they should intruduce compertition in the airport difrent styles as good compertition never hurst anyone! and its all for the benifit of the customers

.....da Queens. Good new chef, nice seafood options, sounded great. Went, it was mediocre. The seafood platter was seriously half-arsed, and it was very over priced.

I have had similar experience, but only when Fat Man (Mr Maclane) wasn't cheffing - it was worse than mediocre, it was REALLY c**p, rotten shellfish and everything. :evil: Now if we're going for a rare "special-occasion" treat, we phone ahead to see if FM Maclane is cheffing. If he is, you're in for a rare treat. :) If not, don't bother.

yeah the sumburgh airport cafe is fair to say that it is not the best place to eat nor the cheepest place to be in the world but it doesnt help that a certain person called sparky runs it! you need to think that if your stuck at the airport whare else are you gona go!? yeah lets go to the sumburgh hotel! i hear you say! well that aint any better! run by the same mob! they just think about the money not what they are serving up on a plate!

yeah the sumburgh airport cafe is fair to say that it is not the best place to eat nor the cheepest place to be in the world but it doesnt help that a certain person called sparky runs it! you need to think that if your stuck at the airport whare else are you gona go!? yeah lets go to the sumburgh hotel! i hear you say! well that aint any better! run by the same mob! they just think about the money not what they are serving up on a plate!

Just nip a bit further up the road to the Toab Shop, the amount you save on the food more than covers the petrol money.

Just nip a bit further up the road to the Toab Shop, the amount you save on the food more than covers the petrol money.

This is sadly true. A bag of McCoys crisps costs 60p at the Airport when you can get two bags for the same price at the Toab Shop.

This is sadly true. A bag of McCoys crisps costs 60p at the Airport when you can get two bags for the same price at the Toab Shop.

this is a comon mistake shop owners make with there prices up here.

what they do is price everything to make a profit, what the dont relise that if they make the prices cheaper the customers would buy more then they would make more profit.

in expencive shops customer would only buy what they despratly need or want at that time, in a cheaper shop people buy lots more to take home as its such a bargain - usualy spending a lot more in the shop and giving the shop owner more money.

some of the south shops have cottend on to this why has the shetland shops not?

[/b]Sam wrote

what they do is price everything to make a profit, what the dont relise that if they make the prices cheaper the customers would buy more then they would make more profit.

That will not work......with most things there is a limit to how many people will buy regardless of the price and shop owners more or less have to show a profit across the board although a few "loss leaders" to get people through the doors can help.

With regard to the Sumburgh Airport catering facilities I think you would find that HIAL charge a hefty sum to whoever provides the catering and will impose rules which force the service provider to remain open when it would make ecconomic sense to be closed.

Just a thought about the refusal of the one member of staff on duty refusing to go and make hot chocolate. It is possible that the contract with HIAL means there always has to be someone on the counter for security reasons......health and safety seems unlikely.

As for Sam's earlier comment on competition I just dont think the number of passengers justifies more than one catering outlet. Maybe I am not typical but the only time I have used the facilities in the past few years was when a flight was late arriving and the bus had left. Calculated the taxi fare compared with sitting at the airport drinking beer and reading the Times while waiting for the next bus......beer won.