Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

I know, I've worked in a few local food businesses and complaining can lead to the addition of "surprises", or a real slagging and bad service thereafter. I think it's the fact that back home you are recognised and don't want to be known as a whinging moaner, whereas south I have the veil of anonymity to hide behind (I still generally prefer a refund rather than replacement of said crap food wherever I am, just in case!).

I went into the cafe downstairs in the tollclock last week for breakfast while I was out & I had the worst breakfast Ive ever had.

The bacon was steamed to jelly like consistancy, im sure if Id dropped it we would have seen a dramatic bounce back to the table. The blackpudding had been hot held so long that cardboard would have been easier to eat. Fried eggs resembled mega bounce balls, saucermeat.... ive seen better looking cat food, the sausages - cheap frozen crap & topped off with 2 slices of luke warm damp toast that couldnt cope with having soft butter spread on them.

Is the food in the Spice of India what counts as a “Good Curry†in Shetland or is the buffet just a poor reflection?

It's been called the Gurkha Kitchen for a while, though after reading your review I'm sure they don't want that pointed out!

I've never eaten in there but frequently get a carry out. I've always been happy with the cooking.

I never think the Chinese or Indian buffets are good anywhere. Its always just deep fried or oily masses o stuff with little flavour. I'd far rather pay a bit extra for a proper meal where you can order what u want. I've always found da Gurka Kitchen good for a meal so hopefully you just had a bad experience.

Is the food in the Spice of India what counts as a “Good Curry†in Shetland or is the buffet just a poor reflection?

It's been called the Gurkha Kitchen for a while, though after reading your review I'm sure they don't want that pointed out!

I've never eaten in there but frequently get a carry out. I've always been happy with the cooking.

I have eaten in, I've had take away and I've had the buffet. I would rate them in that order. I'm sorry to hear the trouble the OP had with the service, I've always had excellent service from them. I would say though that the buffet is not great - I agree with another poster that the Raba one is better. The Naan is excellent and having spent 20 years in West Yorkshire (Bradford) I can confirm that the Naan is both authentic and pretty good. The only place that I know that makes better is Ackbars on the Leeds Road in Bradford. A bit of a step on a friday night for a curry when you live here, but if you're passing worth a visit.

• 3 weeks later...

black burnt toasties at Oslas, placed burnt side down - perhaps they thought we wouldn't taste it, had we not seen it first!

and when will they put some decent tables in there that don't rock back and forth like some cheap garden furniture

Whilst im at it! Somerfield cookies are appalling, nearly always burnt on the bottom that you can't see until you have bought them. I find that coop cookies are excellent, substantial and well supplied with chocolate nuggets

Has anybody been to the refurbished horizons cafe???

I used to really enjoy the occasiaonal quarterpounder burger with salad (strange for me as i usally hate burgers, but the horizons ones with yummy sauce and salad converted me) but now the cafe doesnt do them anymore!!!!!

I dont understand, when ever i was there there was at least 1 other person in the que ordering a burger too, more often than not the majority of the people in the que were ordering burgers, so why take them away!!!!

I guess its a health thing or something but everything in moderation rather than not at all!!

Had my tea there tonight. I love it - salad bad and smoothy bar - brilliant! But my teenage sons are disgusted. They miss the quarter pounders, and the skinny chips with lots of fat. What have we done to the generation born in the 1990s?! My boys ate lots of veg at home, but expect fast rubbish as a 'treat' when they go out, because that's all that used to be available. Maybe they could get fast food patches on presciption, and some fast food ceasation group therapy.

I used to really enjoy the occasiaonal quarterpounder burger with salad (strange for me as i usally hate burgers, but the horizons ones with yummy sauce and salad converted me) but now the cafe doesnt do them anymore!!!!!

I dont understand, when ever i was there there was at least 1 other person in the que ordering a burger too, more often than not the majority of the people in the que were ordering burgers, so why take them away!!!!

I guess its a health thing or something but everything in moderation rather than not at all!!

Ocht, it'll be bloody Jamie Oliver on yet another crusade. I really do wish he'd naff off and let us eat what we want.

Then again - I can mind a friend of mine laughing about what an oxymoron the Horizons cafe was. It was a place mostly associated with the burgers it sold, yet it was actually situated in a sports centre, designed for people to go there and exercise in order to keep fit. I guess that's a fair point.

I can't actually mind the last time I had a burger from the Horizons but they weren't actually bad quality - they're better than anything you'd get in, say, McDonald's or Burger King down here. But what a travesty, doing away with the burgers in the Horizons cafe! It'll never be the same again. :lol: