Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Just had some friends up from south.

We went to see an elusive puffin.

En route, we stopped at The Spiggie Hotel for lunch.

Wow. Delicious. Absolutely delicious. I would definitely be going there again, if in the area. My friends (from Bermuda and London) were hugely impressed too.

A real treat.

Also had a meal at the Shetland Hotel recently. The food was excellent, as was the service from the waitress. The 2 low points were the disgusting attitude of the lady (who seemed to be in charge) when we apologised for being 15 minutes (unavoidably) late and the fact that a bottle of unordered and certainly unconsumed wine appeared on the bill. I hope the latter was just a human error.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to Raba last night, but there was no room, so nipped across the road to Flames, who do a great pizza, to try one of their curries. Starter was good, chicken nambali, a chicken, onion and peppers with melted cheese dish. Sounds odd, tastes great. The curry, whose name escapes me was odd, first one on the menu, very tomatoey, served in a dish with a bowl of steamed rice separately seemed odd. There was a lot of sauce and not a great deal of chicken in comparison, but it tasted OK and I felt feeling full rather than bloated.

Tried the new cafe that was Karibuni today (coffee and kitchen?). Impressed to see flat white in a larger mug, but it was very watery. I didn't mention it as they were very busy at the time and I didn't want to cause a fuss, but will go back again and mention it before they start making it next time. The best cofee is still Peerie Cafe as far as I am concerned, although I understand that there is someone who sets up selling coffee at events that is worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a "meal" from the "specials"board in the Cafe at the Unst Chocolate Factory.Fish an chips an mushy peas for £3.95 thinking it would be a small portion,but no it was the cheapest ready meal microwave crap.It was the most second most disgusting thing I have seen on a plate.The worst thing I have seen was the "macaroni cheese" they presented to the kids.This was also a budget microwave splodge and even with Ketchup the kids left almost all of it.

When they said they didn't do portions of chips we should have left.I now realise the only chips the do, come in the ready"meal" box.

If they can't serve something better than this, they shouldn't bother at all.

That's the place.My post was totally genuine and I will be posting on Tripadvisor. This would be negative experience for any Shetland visitor and especially to Unst which is struggling to revive it's economy after the closure of the RAF camp.The total for drinks and food came to £28.50 and I felt as if I had been mugged.There are few food outlets in Unst and if others can be made aware of the quality of "food" served here, then others who make an effort will benefit.