Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

You are simply not worth a reply, as you are simply looking for an arguement. So, in summary:-

We welcome many visitors from all over, not just locals - the comment was directed purely at you.

We allow dogs in our cafe. We hold all the relevant safety certificates. If you are allergic or do not like dogs, then I suggest you may be better off with another eatery on the island. For the many hundreds that visit us from all over the world, they are more than happy with the way we run things.

I rest my case.

Mods, I am dropping this subject in the hope that the thread can get back on track.

Edited by Aaron Foord

Aaron, you've fallen into Pete's trap where he finds an argument out of very little, then will never back down or find any middle ground. Pedantic to say the least.

I don't see what the problem is. You've clearly stated that dogs are not allowed in the prep area, but are welcome in the cafe. The fact dogs are welcome is clearly stated on the door, giving customers clear notice.

Customers can then decide whether or not to use the premises. Simples!.

It's been years since I was last in Unst and therefore have never used your cafe, but next time I'm there I see three good reasons for visiting.

1. You will let my dog in.

2. Mmmmm! Chocolates!

3. Pete won't be eating there :-)

It started with an opinion.

I am in full support of initiatives to encourage custom, but, I do not agree with dogs in eateries. That was about it.

However, then to be told I was on drugs for suggesting that, was not the answer one would have expected from someone who is in business. An answer would have been along the lines of the extra effort put into cleaning and hygiene for those without dogs. Aaron puts his company name in his Shetlink profile, which, for all intents and purposes, is a good advert for his wares, and free. Just to spoil everyones gleeful posts that I will not frequent said chocolate manipulator, I think I will. Will make a point of coming to see Aaron and his wares next Simmer Dim, I will also bring along the folk who I have encouraged to visit Shetland for the first time.

Folk will not go back to a place if attitudes are wrong, so, as I have never been, I will make a point to visit.

It will be great to meet the real folk behind the mask that is a Shetlink profile....

Edited by shetlandpeat

I suspect actually helping others or being supportive is well beyond your abilities.

Hey, thanks for that...just a note though,

You do use this site to promote your business, I have said I am all for initiatives, but, coming from the food industry as part of my working life, I do not agree that dogs, unless needed for mobility or as another aid should be in eateries, so, I said I will bring myself and friends to your establishment to try it out for myself, how else could I possibly comment on your establishment, of which I have not? It is sad that you are, yourself so set in your ways as to not accept or accommodate others views and retort to name calling and character references from the initial post. You could have reassured me, and those reading that you take food hygiene and cleanliness to a high level, that would have been about the end of it. I am still however going to visit, introduce myself and bring the folk I have  convinced to spent the money and time to visit the place my family came from. Some say they were there back in the 18th Century.

Any how, perhaps it may be better I come to pick up the mail order information. ;-)

Edited by shetlandpeat

Just tried to edit, alas, there have been two complaints on this thread about your cafe, your response is to rubbish the complainer.

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/38-local-food-reviews-dining-out-take-aways/?view=findpost&p=194993

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/38-local-food-reviews-dining-out-take-aways/?view=findpost&p=195017

and this thread

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/6993-foords-chocolates-unst/&do=findComment&comment=169891

where you rubbish other suppliers.

All the establishments apart from yours I have frequented, I have found the establisments and demeanour of the service most pleasing. I hope it is the same when I visit Unst.

Since I am replying to comments made about my establishment, thought I may as well tackle these too.

Just had a "meal" from the "specials"board in the Cafe at the Unst Chocolate Factory.Fish an chips an mushy peas for £3.95 thinking it would be a small portion,but no it was the cheapest ready meal microwave crap.It was the most second most disgusting thing I have seen on a plate.The worst thing I have seen was the "macaroni cheese" they presented to the kids.This was also a budget microwave splodge and even with Ketchup the kids left almost all of it.

When they said they didn't do portions of chips we should have left.I now realise the only chips the do, come in the ready"meal" box.

If they can't serve something better than this, they shouldn't bother at all.

'Thinking it would be a small portion' - what utter nonsense. If you thought that then you are naive to say the least. As for the food quality, we do not use catering food but our food is from Birds Eye, Findus, McCain etc and the macaroni cheese (just for your information) is Findus. Sort of shows up your ridiculous comments doesn't it. Did you complain at the time? Did you leave any of your meals?  No, I thought not.

As for your kids not eating their macaroni cheese;- you have ordered fish and chips, they are also sat next to a menu offering chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk shalkes etc etc so it is hardly surprising really. Perhaps you should have ordered them something they wanted instead of something you wanted them to have? Perhaps them not eating the meal you were having to pay for was the real root of your issue, not anything to do with us at all.

That's the place.My post was totally genuine and I will be posting on Tripadvisor. This would be negative experience for any Shetland visitor and especially to Unst which is struggling to revive it's economy after the closure of the RAF camp.The total for drinks and food came to £28.50 and I felt as if I had been mugged.There are few food outlets in Unst and if others can be made aware of the quality of "food" served here, then others who make an effort will benefit.

Our meals are £3.95. If there were four of you then that makes £11.80 so you must have had a whole lot more such as drinks, cakes, ice cream etc which seemingly was not a problem?

I hope you didn't allow the dog to get any scraps as this may have been considered as cruelty to animals.I wouldn't feed their micro slops to my dog.

There is a collage of photos of doggy visitors on one of the walsl, so yes their canine guests seem to take priority over their human ones.

If they stuck to supplying sandwiches and stopped the micro slops, they may just get some returning customers.

'Micro slops'? You have the same manufacturers in your freezer so unless you want to criticise constructively then why bother?.  We get many many returning customers thank you.

To reply to the moderator. I dare you to have a Fish and chips from the specials board or the macaroni and cheese from this cafe without being utterly disgusted with the quality and sheer nerve of the owners for serving up such rubbish.

I only wanted to save others from feeling ripped off and maybe they will frequent other establishments that do actually care what they serve up.

Seems that you have nothing else to do than start multiple threads which come over as you having a tantrum, somewhat reminiscent of a child being told to tidy their room before they are allowed out to play.

We do not 'rip off' anyone, and as far as our many hundreds of visitors every year are concerned that come back year after year, they do not think that either.

As I have replied in a previous posting, if people have a genuine complaint then we are happy to help, take on board ideas and sort the issue.

Since I am replying to comments made about my establishment, thought I may as well tackle these too.

Just had a "meal" from the "specials"board in the Cafe at the Unst Chocolate Factory.Fish an chips an mushy peas for £3.95 thinking it would be a small portion,but no it was the cheapest ready meal microwave crap.It was the most second most disgusting thing I have seen on a plate.The worst thing I have seen was the "macaroni cheese" they presented to the kids.This was also a budget microwave splodge and even with Ketchup the kids left almost all of it.

When they said they didn't do portions of chips we should have left.I now realise the only chips the do, come in the ready"meal" box.

If they can't serve something better than this, they shouldn't bother at all.

'Thinking it would be a small portion' - what utter nonsense. If you thought that then you are naive to say the least. As for the food quality, we do not use catering food but our food is from Birds Eye, Findus, McCain etc and the macaroni cheese (just for your information) is Findus. Sort of shows up your ridiculous comments doesn't it. Did you complain at the time? Did you leave any of your meals?  No, I thought not.

As for your kids not eating their macaroni cheese;- you have ordered fish and chips, they are also sat next to a menu offering chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk shalkes etc etc so it is hardly surprising really. Perhaps you should have ordered them something they wanted instead of something you wanted them to have? Perhaps them not eating the meal you were having to pay for was the real root of your issue, not anything to do with us at all.

That's the place.My post was totally genuine and I will be posting on Tripadvisor. This would be negative experience for any Shetland visitor and especially to Unst which is struggling to revive it's economy after the closure of the RAF camp.The total for drinks and food came to £28.50 and I felt as if I had been mugged.There are few food outlets in Unst and if others can be made aware of the quality of "food" served here, then others who make an effort will benefit.

Our meals are £3.95. If there were four of you then that makes £11.80 so you must have had a whole lot more such as drinks, cakes, ice cream etc which seemingly was not a problem?

I hope you didn't allow the dog to get any scraps as this may have been considered as cruelty to animals.I wouldn't feed their micro slops to my dog.

There is a collage of photos of doggy visitors on one of the walsl, so yes their canine guests seem to take priority over their human ones.

If they stuck to supplying sandwiches and stopped the micro slops, they may just get some returning customers.

'Micro slops'? You have the same manufacturers in your freezer so unless you want to criticise constructively then why bother?.  We get many many returning customers thank you.

To reply to the moderator. I dare you to have a Fish and chips from the specials board or the macaroni and cheese from this cafe without being utterly disgusted with the quality and sheer nerve of the owners for serving up such rubbish.

I only wanted to save others from feeling ripped off and maybe they will frequent other establishments that do actually care what they serve up.

Seems that you have nothing else to do than start multiple threads which come over as you having a tantrum, somewhat reminiscent of a child being told to tidy their room before they are allowed out to play.

We do not 'rip off' anyone, and as far as our many hundreds of visitors every year are concerned that come back year after year, they do not think that either.

As I have replied in a previous posting, if people have a genuine complaint then we are happy to help, take on board ideas and sort the issue.

Just to reply for the last time.I will confess to having the odd bag of McCain oven chips in my freezer,but I have never bought or consumed any ready meals made by any of the manufacturers you listed. If you are so proud of their quality I'm sure you should include the manufacturers name in your descriptions on your "specials menu" board. That way people would be fully aware of what they are getting. 

As I mentioned earlier the majority of all 4 of our meals were left uneaten.I only ate the peas and the thin sliver of fish from within the thing it was presented in.The kids left at least 80-90 percent of their macaroni, even after being loaded with ketchup.They wouldn't even eat my chips. 

I prefer my kids or ones in my care to have a proper meal before getting a chocolate treat.Two of the kids including my daughter don't actually like chocolate or chocolate drinks so I don't think there was any deception on their behalf.

£3.95 X 4 = £15.80 but there were 2 adults and 3 children.My cousin wisely chose the bacon roll and we all had drinks resulting in a bill of £28.50. 

I'm curious to know how many returning customers come back especially for the ready meal experience. I'm sure homemade macaroni and cheese would be quick and easy to prepare and could be frozen to keep for another day.(also microwavable to defrost) This may also boost your profit margins.

My advice is to ditch the ready meals for freshly made sandwiches and soup and bring on the homemade macaroni.

Keep up the good work with the tasty chocs.

Criticizing constructivley

P Maddison

@maddisp - thank you for your reply. Perhaps if you had criticised constructively instead of the multiple threads then I and others would have taken your comments more seriously.

However, your posting this time is not only constructive but also calm and precise at the points you wish to make - and I am happy to reply.

With all problems that occur, we (as any other business) like to sort them at the time, and I cannot understand why we did not question you at the time if indeed so much food was left unless you had already left by the time we were able to clear your table. For that I apologise, and I am sorry that you felt the need for the aforementioned threads to get your point across but I also understand that you came away from us somewhat upset and so a 'knee-jerk' reaction is understandable.

No food establishment writes the manufacturers of their food on the menus. Are you suggesting I make 'beans on toast' read 'Heinz beans served on Hovis medium slice toasted white bread'? Of course not, as that would be silly. As a cafe we just try and make sure that the food quality is of a good standard from a recognised supplier.

That said, I have taken your comments on board and the comments of others and we will be revising our menu for next season. We have considered making our own macaroni cheese in the past and after talking it over we will more than likely be doing exactly that when we re-open in March. We shall not be offering the fish and chips that we did this season as we have not been totally happy with the consistency of quality of this product.

As I said, I am sorry that your visit to us was not a happy one, but I hope that perhaps next season you will allow us a second chance to make your visit more enjoyable. I am very happy that you like our chocolates, and I would like to send you a box of 24 of our chocolates as a gesture of goodwill, thereby at least supplying you with something I know you will enjoy. If you would care to pm me a name and address or email me at info@foordschocolates.co.uk with those details we will get that organised.

Aaron

Oops, I had to edit as I got my own email address wrong :)

Edited by Aaron Foord

Just tried to edit, alas, there have been two complaints on this thread about your cafe, your response is to rubbish the complainer.

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/38-local-food-reviews-dining-out-take-aways/?view=findpost&p=194993

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/38-local-food-reviews-dining-out-take-aways/?view=findpost&p=195017

and this thread

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/6993-foords-chocolates-unst/&do=findComment&comment=169891

where you rubbish other suppliers.

All the establishments apart from yours I have frequented, I have found the establisments and demeanour of the service most pleasing. I hope it is the same when I visit Unst.

yes, we can all read the past two pages of this thread or are you just running out of things to say? As I said, since we take dogs and you disagree with this, the only reason I can see that you would visit is simply so you can complain further about a subject already covered, so I repeat that you are not welcome.

It is a shame that, like the chat-rooms of old, there is not a button where we can choose to ignore all comments made by certain individuals. I am sure I would not be the only one using it.

He he. Now I can say what ever I want about him. Great tool, banning yourself but letting the rest of the world see comments without reply. Interesting.

I am obviously not banning myself, I would have thought even you could have worked that out - instead, Shetlink now gives me the option whether to read anything you write or not. You have nothing to say worth replying to - now try getting back to the subject of the thread if that is not beyond you.

Edited by Aaron Foord