Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

I think £1.40 for an eat-in tart is very reasonable.

Agreed. I think some people don't consider the work that goes into making these things and just compare it to cost of ingredients if they were to make it at home. 

Most of the coffee places use machines supplied by the same person, as far as I know - and they also provide the training. Maybe they prefer weaker coffee..

Again I agree. I have to say I'm not a big fan. That said the quality of espresso coffee is very poor in general in Shetland.

I haven't been in the Islesbrgh for ages.  It used to be a regular haunt.  I was a bit miffed when the place in the Hostel got closed down.  I will have to try it out when it is quieter.  I remeber the chiken and mayo rolls being good.

The custard tart was small and I wasn't sure if it was home made.  It tasted OK though.  I miss the custard pies that my dad used to make in those rectangular enamel dishes, white with a blue pinstripe.  The custard used to be 3 inches deep.

• 1 month later...

There does seem to be a tendency, among some local businesses, to offload(?) stuff that they shouldn't really be selling.

Went for a tray of chips in Harrison square last week and, when I opened the package, discovered that the woman who served me had scraped the scuttle for all the bits etc. that should have been dumped. 

Their loss as I will never go there again.

Sad to see Da Kitchen Bakery mini marzy sponges have changed.  Yes they have got bigger, but they are no longer wrapped in marzipan, the swizz being hidden by more chocolate - what a shame.  Voe Bakery battenburg marzipan is a bit on the sticky side.  Mr Kipling's mini battenburgs are not up to much, so where to get decent battenburg? 

There does seem to be a tendency, among some local businesses, to offload(?) stuff that they shouldn't really be selling.

Went for a tray of chips in Harrison square last week and, when I opened the package, discovered that the woman who served me had scraped the scuttle for all the bits etc. that should have been dumped. 

Their loss as I will never go there again.

Chipshops used to give you that stuff for free if you asked. I used to get a bag now and again, it was good, but not good enough to pay chip prices for.

Maybe you had to be someone who grew up on Mini Chips to appreciate it properly. It was just the same as eating them, but without the flavouring.

Edited by Ghostrider

Also had a very similar experience at the chippie in Commercial Road  (No names mentioned) so, I'm fast running out of options.. :cry:

Only one left is the Fort and, apart from the fact that the overall quality is getting poor, they charge you 5p for a PAPER BAG to put your suppers in..

I'm in favour of the PLASTIC BAG "surcharge" but, I was led to believe that PAPER BAGS were EXEMPT as they degrade quite easily.

Sticks a bit when you spend £15+ on a few average to poor quality (and skimpy) suppers to get "hit" for an extra 5p under false pretences.  Surprised, under the circumstances, that they do not try to make a separate charge for the wrapping paper they use..

In Scotland, only paper bags that are less that 17.5 x 26cm are exempt. They are not charging under false pretences.

The law is different in England I believe.

As for Da Kitchen Bakery - there might be good products there but the one thing I tried had fake chocolate rather than the real stuff, it reminded me of Scotbloc. They called it chocolate on the ingredients list, but it definitely wasn't. Put me off. I'd rather pay more and have decent ingredients.

In Scotland, only paper bags that are less that 17.5 x 26cm are exempt. They are not charging under false pretences.

The law is different in England I believe.

Where's my ruler..... :thmbsup

As an aside;

They always seem to wrap the suppers in two sheets of paper.  Each sheet is in excess of the measurement you quoted so, with the exception of a little glue and printing, I wonder how long it will be before someone suggests that they have to charge for that as well....? :twisted:

Edited by Colin

As for Da Kitchen Bakery - there might be good products there but the one thing I tried had fake chocolate rather than the real stuff, it reminded me of Scotbloc. They called it chocolate on the ingredients list, but it definitely wasn't. Put me off. I'd rather pay more and have decent ingredients.

I think what you had is officially known as "brown cake".  How depressing.  It looks like chocolate and it just isn't.

Also had a very similar experience at the chippie in Commercial Road  (No names mentioned) so, I'm fast running out of options.. :cry:

Only one left is the Fort and, apart from the fact that the overall quality is getting poor, they charge you 5p for a PAPER BAG to put your suppers in..

I'm in favour of the PLASTIC BAG "surcharge" but, I was led to believe that PAPER BAGS were EXEMPT as they degrade quite easily.

Sticks a bit when you spend £15+ on a few average to poor quality (and skimpy) suppers to get "hit" for an extra 5p under false pretences.  Surprised, under the circumstances, that they do not try to make a separate charge for the wrapping paper they use..

Oh how I miss those days of fish n chips wrapped in newspaper.  Mmmmm  nymnymnym